jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Eh for car audio, I don't think you can do better than JL Audio. See if you can find some on EBay. Their 12W7 is a monster, with cool technologies to boot.

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
xtant x-series, i recommend them over jl anyday, if you can pay the price the diamond audio TDX's are mighty fine too

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
There's a lot better alternative to JL audio, and for much cheaper too. JL makes quality product, but there's better for the money.

Look into Adire Audio, Image Dynamics, Digital Designs, Resonant Engineering, Diamond Audio, Crystal, Oz, even Eclipse alum or ti' models, some Audiomobile if you can find any of their products still around, or A/D/S RS series subs. All great stuff....

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
BTW... Xtant X series... don't know if there's a newer version out now, but the older models like the X410 and so... all they are are rebadged MTX8000 series woofers. Not a bad sub, can take abuse, but suffer from a little lack of tonality. Pretty boomy, but for a price you can them, damn good deal. I had a pair of those years back got them for $38 each brand new. Can't really beat that.

Also, with the free box you got. If you're gonna use it, make sure the sub you get matches the enclosure you're using. Look at the internal air space volume, as well as if it's sealed or ported. Match with the specs of the subs. Generally it's easiest looking at the recommended types of enclosures for the woofer. A sub only sounds as good as the enclosure its match to.

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
eh... generally i'm not a big rockford or audiobahn fan... sorry =)

not that theyr'e bad sub... there's just a reason i have a thing against them. I'd go rockford over audiobahn though.

350x

Enthusiast
i think the most id want to spend is about $200, because i still need some speakers and an amp.

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
hmm... ok.. what's the intent of the system anyway? just a nice daily driving system, or are you looking with competition eyes? Also what car? Is something bass heavy your priority, or do you actually like to listen to music? Knowing all these, you can often go with something very good sounding with a lot less money than you'd think. People all too often get blinded looking at wattage and #'s.

350x

Enthusiast
i just want something that will turn heads, not too much though, im gonna be putting this in an 89 silverado pickup. i listen to rap mostly.

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
you talking about turning heads outside of the car, or something that actually sounds good inside? my car sounds great inside, but there isn't much you hear outside. And i'm happy for that. I'm not out to show off, and it's theft protection. It is plenty loud though.

Either way, most of the subs from the companies i listed should fit your needs well. Check out the power ratings however, build towards your needs. 300rms can sound a lot louder than you'd think. Don't think that you need 1,000rms to have anything proper and loud. You don't. PLus you run into bigger issues going higher wattage that'll end up costin your more money. Not that it's a bad thing, but determin what your actual needs and wants are first.

G

guess88

Junior Audioholic
oooh... good one actually, totally forgot to mention the HSU subs. They're a great secret among car audio subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis