Once again: what are you listening to now?

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Back in September there was a similar thread and it spawned lots of discussion and plenty of recommendations. I thought, it's been a couple months now and its a great time to bring it back up. What new music have you found that you'd like to share? What old album(s) have you recently pulled out that suddenly sound great again? Or just list the last dozen or so discs you listened to. Here's mine:

Genesis - Selling England By The Pound
Chris Orbach - Safely Through The Night
Mostly Autumn - Catch The Spirit
Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie - Jazz at Massey Hall (SACD)
Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection (SACD)
Balckfield - Blackfield
Freudiana - Eric Woolfson (originally planned as the 11th Alan Parsons Project album)
Trans-Siberian Orchestra - Christmas Eve and Other Stories
Neil Young - Greendale (DVD-A)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (DTS quad)

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hey, I'd like to play!

It was just this February that I bought my very first receiver and set of speakers, and while my gear is kinda low-end, it still sounds wonderful enough to me that it re-kindled my love of music. I was bringing out CDs I hadn't listened to in ages, and I started buying more CDs, DVD-As and SACDs too. So here's what I've been listening to lately:

Kate Bush -- Aerial (CD)
Garbage -- Bleed Like Me (CD)
Sarah McLachlan -- Afterglow (CD)
Queen -- A Night at the Opera (DVD-A)
Pink Floyd -- Dark Side of the Moon (SACD)
The Police -- Every Breath You Take: The Classics (SACD)
Porcupine Tree -- In Absentia (DVD-A)
The Rolling Stones -- Singles Collection: The London Years (SACD)
Sting -- Brand New Day (DVD-A)
U2 -- Achtung Baby (CD)

This was one from a few months ago that still plays a little bit in my head: Paula Cole's debut album Harbinger. I pulled that one out after years of not listening to it, and while the songs have dated a bit, the clarity and strength of the recording completely blew me away. Previously, I had always listened to this on a discman, but now I've got a nice receiver, nice speakers, so I thought I'd give it a go. Unbelieveable sound quality. I was mega impressed. An amazingly powerful voice, crystal clear instrumentation, plus a wide, well-definted soundstage. Some good songs, no doubt, but it's the production that gets top marks. Check it out sometime.

On the other hand, Prince's The Black Album, another old fave, sounds like crap. Great grooves, interesting and funky songs, but the production is so bad, I kept praying for the disc to finish. Terrible sound from beginning to end. Avoid it at all costs.

Hawkeye, I read a bit about the quad version of DSotM, but I had no idea it was available as a DTS disc! From where did you find it? I gotta get me a listen to that one!

I tried out Neil Young's Greendale, but after the first two songs, I totally lost interest. I loved his stuff on the soundtrack to Dead Man, but otherwise I'm just not a Neil fan at all. I did try though!

Aaahhh . . . Selling England by the Pound. I think that's my old standby. I come back to that and Foxtrot when I'm dying for a little classic Genesis. Was this an old favourite, or did you just discover it, and if the latter, what did you think?

This was a fun little stroll down amnesia lane. Thanks! And enjoy the music!

cheers,
supervij

R

RedHairedGirl

Audiophyte
What I'm listening to now . . .

Hey guys! This is a cool topic! :)

I like a lot of the albums you've listed on your posts.

My musical preferences are REALLY diverse! The albums I've been listening to include both commercial & indie artists:

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
The Eagles - Very Best of
AC/DC - Back In Black
John Coinman - Songs From the Modern West
Antsy McClain - Time Sweetened Lies
Martina McBride - Greatest Hits
(Compilation) Fins, Chrome & the Open Road - A Tribute to the Cadillac CD
Stevie Wonder - The Difinitive Collection
Patricia Vonne - Guitars & Castanets
Toto - Past to Present
(Compilation) Motown Legends
John Lennon - Lennon Legend (Very Best of)

Glad to have joined up a site to talk with fellow Audioholics!

RHG ;)

B

Brandst

Junior Audioholic
I'd love to list a whole lot of stuff like the others did but the main thing I've been listening to as of late is XM 70 Real Jazz. They play a nice mix of vocal and instrumental jazz by older and newer artists. Although the Diana Krall Love Scenes DVD-A has been in the player nonstop when not on the sat.

Steve

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
supervij said:
Hawkeye, I read a bit about the quad version of DSotM, but I had no idea it was available as a DTS disc! From where did you find it? I gotta get me a listen to that one!

I tried out Neil Young's Greendale, but after the first two songs, I totally lost interest. I loved his stuff on the soundtrack to Dead Man, but otherwise I'm just not a Neil fan at all. I did try though!

Aaahhh . . . Selling England by the Pound. I think that's my old standby. I come back to that and Foxtrot when I'm dying for a little classic Genesis. Was this an old favourite, or did you just discover it, and if the latter, what did you think?
This was a fun little stroll down amnesia lane. Thanks! And enjoy the music!
cheers,
supervij
The DSotM dts is not actually available comercially. It's Alan Parsons' mid 70's quad mix, commissioned by EMI, without the band's blessing, and originally released on 4-channel vinyl, using the original master tapes. Recently, through the wonders of modern technology, its been converted to a 4.0 channel dts disc. It suffers from the limits of the technology on which it was produced from back in the early 70's. Guthrie's sacd has much less noise, but I think Parsons' mix is much more fun to listen to, he got it right. And who really should have done the 5.1 mix but Parsons? Shame on Floyd. Read about Parsons impressions of James Guthrie's 5.1 mix here http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=444&page_number=1

Greendale - I tend to agree with you here. I like Neil Young and really want to like this disc but so far I haven't warmed up to it yet. I'll keep trying.

Selling England... I picked it up cheap ($6) while on vacation a few months ago. Completely unfamiliar with it until now. I really like it and expect it to grow on me even more.

Keep them coming all.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Hawkeye, where did you get your DTS DSotM if it's not available commercially? Cos reading that article about Parsons, it makes me salivate at the possibility of listening to it!

If you like Selling England . . ., I suggest you give Foxtrot a try next. It's my fave of the whole Genesis discography.

RedHairedGirl, I've been thinking about trying out a Stevie Wonder album or two. Ever since I heard that song on the radio -- the one that some female artist has sampled in her song -- I've been wanting to hear more Stevie. Maybe I'll give The Definitive Collection a try. Or is there an album of his you can recommend?

Brandst, I almost bought that Diana Krall DVD-A you mentioned. But I held back, cos I'd never really heard her stuff before. I checked out some samples of her songs on her website, and nothing really grabbed me. So I let the disc go. I've heard so many people say such great stuff about her singing, but alas . . . it's just not for me.

cheers,
supervij

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Thrice - Illusion Of Safety
Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance
Thrice - Vheissu
Poison The Well - You Come Before You
Poison The Well - Tear From The Red
Poidon The Well - Opposite of December
Blood Brothers - Crimes
Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn
Death By Stereo - Into The Valley Of Death
System Of A down - Hypontize
Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Alexisonfire - Watch Out!

Thats my regulars, most of them are from a long time ago, they are just so good, I always listen to them.

SheepStar
PS - PM me for a listen

B

bruceh

Junior Audioholic
Current Favorites

I've really been enjoying these titles recently. Been on that Mark Knopfler kick for awhile:

• Mark Knopfler Shangri La (DVD Audio)
    • Mark Knopfler Sailing to Philadelphia (DVD Audio)
    • Dire Straits Brothers in Arms (Dual Disc - DVD Audio)
    • Bach Complete Brandenburg Concertos (Tacet DVD Audio)
    • Elton John Madman Across the Water (SACD)
    • John Hiatt Master of Disaster (SACD)
    • Loggins and Messina Sittin' In Again (DVD Video)
    • Richard Thompson Live Austin City Limits (DVD Video
    )

Matt34

Matt34

Sheep said:
Thrice - Illusion Of Safety
Thrice - Artist In The Ambulance
Thrice - Vheissu
Poison The Well - You Come Before You
Poison The Well - Tear From The Red
Poidon The Well - Opposite of December
Blood Brothers - Crimes
Blood Brothers - Burn Piano Island Burn
Death By Stereo - Into The Valley Of Death
System Of A down - Hypontize
Alexisonfire - Alexisonfire
Alexisonfire - Watch Out!

Thats my regulars, most of them are from a long time ago, they are just so good, I always listen to them.

SheepStar
PS - PM me for a listen
Sheep,

I saw you mentioned the Blood Brothers before and so I had to try them out since most of what you have listed I like. I believe it was Crimes and....er, and something else but I forget. I just couldn't warm up to them though.

M

mfabien

Senior Audioholic
Renee Oldstead

The May 2004 CD. If you like Jazz, this is the best.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Just a few i've been listening to a lot on the ipod...

A.F.I. - Sing the Sorrow
A.F.I. - The Art of Drowning
Black Eyed Peas - Elephunk
Cake - Fashion Nugget
The Gourds - Shinebox
Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love
My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers
The Prodigy - Experience
The White Stripes - Elephant

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
At the current time, I have The Royal Scam a-spinnin' on the ol' universal player. Yes, my chair is vibrating :D

johndoe

johndoe

Audioholic
This sounds like fun. Here's what I've been listening in the last couple of days:

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock (sublime is the best description I can think of)
Transatlantic - STMPe (historically accurate nostalgic neo-prog, but some very good parts and musicianship)
Bruford - One of a Kind (trying to understand it)
Genesis - The Lamb....(figuring out how to get rid of all the fill that mars this otherwise masterpiece)
King Crimson - The ConstruKction of Light (I highly recommend the title track)
King Crimson - Discipline (for comparison)
Keane - Hopes and Fears (completely out of place, I know ;) but I find it relaxing)
Yes - Relayer (sound chaser is quite a trip)
The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Buried Treasures (this one was recorded in the late 50's in Mexico City but was released only a couple of years ago. It's the "classic" quartet lineup, playing some well known tunes. yet it still blows me away) Even though I'm not a jazz fan.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Matt34 said:
Sheep,

I saw you mentioned the Blood Brothers before and so I had to try them out since most of what you have listed I like. I believe it was Crimes and....er, and something else but I forget. I just couldn't warm up to them though.
Its okay, It took me months to warm up to them. I love their sound though.

Very fun to rock out to.

SheepStar

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
supervij said:
Hawkeye, where did you get your DTS DSotM if it's not available commercially? Cos reading that article about Parsons, it makes me salivate at the possibility of listening to it!
If you like Selling England . . ., I suggest you give Foxtrot a try next. It's my fave of the whole Genesis discography.
cheers,
supervij
I got my copy from a friend who sent me the disc a few months ago. Not sure if its still there or not, but a couple months ago it was posted on Usenet as a DTS encoded CD image.

Thanks for the rec on FoxTrot. I'll put it on my ever-expanding "short list" - Its growing much faster than I seem to be buying.

sts9fan

sts9fan

Banned
Wilco - Kicking Televison
Deltron 3030- Deltron 3030
Surfjan Stevens- ILLINOISE
Mike Gordon and Leo Kottke- 66 steps

Matt34

Matt34

Listening to my very first SACD as I type this.(Godsmack "The Otherside") So far I'm loving it!!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I found another great band.

There called "The Mars Volta"

Its a very weird style. Its brass, mixed with rock. And the singer is just awesome. I'm listening to the album "Frances the Mute".

So far I'm liking it. Some songs are not in English (spanish). And they have a really spanish vibe (almost like ricky martin, using piano and brass, but the guitar is Very hard. Fast solos, and cording like rock).

SheepStar

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
James Blunt, Back to Bedlam.
An impulse buy. Heard it at Barnes & Noble while shopping.
Not my usual type of music, sound quality could be better, but this guy is worth a listen. Very good singer/songwriter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis