Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Streaming some ELO today before the Masters. LOVE Sweet Talking Woman and Do Ya. Gotta play Do Ya pretty loud for the effect. :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I dunno if it's about the high, coming down from the high, the effects of depression, resignation you cannot get outta it....a fav from the Urban Hymns era. Bitter sweet. Props to the line Yes/I'm coming down/your beauty is/a color surround.

Yes
It's been long
And yes
I still feel strong
Into the half light
Another velvet morning for me, yeah

Time
Stands still
As you take
Your last pill
Into the half light
Another velvet morning for me

And now I'm trying to tell you
About my life
And my tongue is twisted
And more dead than alive
And my feelings
They've always been betrayed
And I was born a little damaged man
And look what they made

I said, don't you find
That it's lonely
The corridor
You walk there alone
And life is a game
You've tried
And life is a game
You're tired

Yes
I'm coming down
Your beauty is
A color surround
Into the half light
Another velvet morning for me

And now I'm trying to tell you
About my life
And my tongue is twisted
And more dead than alive
And my feelings
My feelings, they've been betrayed
And I was born a little damaged man
And look what they made

He said, don't you find
That it's lonely
The corridor
You walk there alone
And life is a game
You've tried
And life is a game
You're tired
And life is a game
You've tried

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Urban Hymns was probably the weakest of the first three Verve albums IMO, but of note producer Chris Potter was superb. That album has a seamless feel to it.

Also circa 1993-94 Verve. Especially the LP "A Storm In Heaven." Nick McCabe the best guitarist at the time with the best producer in John Leckie. Lightning in a bottle. Space rock, cavernous, apocolyptic, subterranean, a shooting star....I dunno. Nobody ever did that before, or possibly since. It's best moments do not even seem like it was made on earth IMO. I remember a review saying along the lines of maybe we need to look beyond the periphery.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Probably been six months since I lasted listen to the Verve. Someone edited out the vocals and it's just the instrumental on ASIH. Also the buoyancy of Nick's guitar, and the volume he got out of his tech without hardly riffing. He said it was his goal to make the guitar sound like a synthesizer or something like that. When I'm doing nothing else but listening to the music is when I feel like I've reached the mountain top. It's violent yet beautiful, like a storm in heaven.

Also I can hear a bit of a chamber sound. I like the intro on Star Sail which feels like an entrance into space.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Verve b-sides are pretty well the opposite of the violence on ASIH. The ones that stick out are No Come Down, Where the Geese Go, 6 O'Clock, One Way To Go, and Twilight. They are quite tranquil and druggy in spots. I think they also did some shaman-like stuff on their early EP's. I liked how they were described as more of an experience than anything. After '94 though they continued to do some good stuff but were never really the same after.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Streaming Santana Moonflower this afternoon. Man, that is one great live performance.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Santana - Santana. The album that started it all. The legacy edition which has outtakes and their Woodstock performance which launched their career. The artwork is very revealing.

IMG_4176.jpeg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis