Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Forgive my ignorance, I just haven't been a pc guy for quite a while now, so often times even familiar things look foreign

...buut are yer screenshots of a streaming platform, or just bought/ downloaded/saved library?
They are screenshots of music played from the Emby music server that I have setup on my laptop.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
The super deluxe edition of the Yes album. Excellent sound, dynamics and musicianship. Good soundtrack for the Pats Steelers game.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday's listening selections were based on female or female led bands

Img-81.JPG

Img-82.JPG
Img-83.JPG
Img-84.JPG
Img-85.JPG
Img-86.JPG

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Anyone ever check out Yoyoka's drumming? Kid is pretty fantastic, in this vid she's 8 years old....now 13 IIRC

Meticulous G

Meticulous G

Audioholic Intern
I dunno if these guys make it very well around audiophile circles (1 time I did see this album be nominated for multichannel in an ap magazine after DVD audio & SACD 1st came out)

...but it's easily a natural born staple & belongs

If yer not familiar, the entire album (The Orb Orbus Terrarum) is meant to be listened to straight through (as is true for all orB)
...but this 2nd track, Plateau is the 1 that inspired me to share

Attachments

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dunno if these guys make it very well around audiophile circles (1 time I did see this album be nominated for multichannel in an ap magazine after DVD audio & SACD 1st came out)

...but it's easily a natural born staple & belongs

If yer not familiar, the entire album (The Orb Orbus Terrarum) is meant to be listened to straight through (as is true for all orB)
...but this 2nd track, Plateau is the 1 that inspired me to share
Why, is it poorly recorded or something?

Meticulous G

Meticulous G

Audioholic Intern
Why, is it poorly recorded or something?
Oh no...to the contrary, these guys are beyond ocd insane about every aspect of sound/music & audio

It's just that they've always been exactly anti mainstream, and appeal to an unusual & verry narrow 1 of a kind listener/crowd
...but they have topped charts in the uk

It's just not any normal existing category of music, and the bulk of people seem not to care to venture much outside of their thing

REALLY different & sophisticated & complex

Love 'em, or hate 'em
...it'll gladly use every bit of yer equipment,

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh no...to the contrary, these guys are beyond ocd insane about every aspect of sound/music & audio

It's just that they've always been exactly anti mainstream, and appeal to an unusual & verry narrow 1 of a kind listener/crowd
...but they have topped charts in the uk

It's just not any normal existing category of music, and the bulk of people seem not to care to venture much outside of their thing

REALLY different & sophisticated & complex

Love 'em, or hate 'em
...it'll gladly use every bit of yer equipment,
Audiophile generally just refers to a person who loves the gear.....an "audiophile's" taste in music will vary. I found this on Spotify and will check it out....

All too often audiophile demo music is something banal from Diana Krall or Steely Dan....yuck.

Meticulous G

Meticulous G

Audioholic Intern
Audiophile generally just refers to a person who loves the gear.....an "audiophile's" taste in music will vary. I found this on Spotify and will check it out....

All too often audiophile demo music is something banal from Diana Krall or Steely Dan....yuck.
Oh yeah, heh heh I get that

I'd say in my mind it fits for all the reasons:
Unique
Full range
Absolutely loaded with layers of sound, rhythms, and melodies

...for me, putting it on par with orchestral, symphony in every way, aside from the instruments

(Usually) chill out, relaxing while still "rocking" above & beyond hard, buut like in an undercover, sneaky, andsubtle way
...4D/Fractal audio

A lot of it, if you don't really focus on it, could come off as musaak...it's sooo weird

If you've got the mind and the ear for it...Alex is an utterly fascinating musician

I've been listening to him/ them since he went global in '93
...I found that I actually had to develop the ability to hear it properly/as intended

Imo, all the "bona fide" oRb tunes create or conjure up clockwork-y & mechanical (yet not inorganic) soundscapes around you, which you can them walk around in, & listen to from different places

...like a soundtrack to the cosmos, or something. It's not even fair to try to put it into words, tbh

IT just makes ya sound like a raving lunatic...QED

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh yeah, heh heh I get that

I'd say in my mind it fits for all the reasons:
Unique
Full range
Absolutely loaded with layers of sound, rhythms, and melodies

...for me, putting it on par with orchestral, symphony in every way, aside from the instruments

(Usually) chill out, relaxing while still "rocking" above & beyond hard, buut like in an undercover, sneaky, andsubtle way
...4D/Fractal audio

A lot of it, if you don't really focus on it, could come off as musaak...it's sooo weird

If you've got the mind and the ear for it...Alex is an utterly fascinating musician

I've been listening to him/ them since he went global in '93
...I found that I actually had to develop the ability to hear it properly/as intended

Imo, all the "bona fide" oRb tunes create or conjure up clockwork-y & mechanical (yet not inorganic) soundscapes around you, which you can them walk around in, & listen to from different places

...like a soundtrack to the cosmos, or something. It's not even fair to try to put it into words, tbh

IT just makes ya sound like a raving lunatic...QED
I'm pretty sure I've had some Orb stuff in my feed before, but don't think I've ever played a full album....

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
I love Steely Dan including the recent remasters of Aja and Gaucho But get similar feedback when I recommend Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits for testing for dynamic range. I get it. My brother in law that loves jazz hates the Dan. Right now loving the band Rock Candy Funk Party that was recommended. Groove is King is great fusion.

Meticulous G

Meticulous G

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty sure I've had some Orb stuff in my feed before, but don't think I've ever played a full album....
Ahh cool...I was introduced to them by college friends who saw them in japan, just as I was accepting being turned on to the dead, after being a "long time" (only 18 at this point) metal & Zep head, aand didn't particularly like, or appreciate it right away, with it being electronic

...but something about it kept me listening, and eventually all the right circumstances (whatever re-wiring in my brain that needed to happen, quality audio + altered state, I'm sure) lined up for me to hear it "right"

My mind was blown, aand I was smitten...had I not met the dead and oRb at the same time, I'm sure I wouldn't have given the other the chance they deserved, so I'm exceedingly grateful it went that way, 'cause both have played massive roles, aand really anchored music as being the primary driving force in my life from that point

As far as whole orB albums and live shows go...they're journey's with all parts being very deliberate, and with some, there are times which are less than perfectly pleasant

...but they serve a purpose if we're mature, patient, & tolerant enough to embrace, or at least endure them

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis