Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I only missed this by two months. I guess that's what happens when you live under a rock, hiding from modern "society."

Legit!

A modern take on some old school Hill Country Blues! Four Musicians in a Nashville studio for two days. #Boom-Pow

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Just got my ceiling speakers installed in my garage and started to listen to Apple Dolby Atmos hi-res music.. currently listening to Kacey Musgraves’ “Rainbow” in Hi-Resolution Lossless.

8FF104A0-A7EF-452E-A66B-07740E167987.jpg

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just got my ceiling speakers installed in my garage and started to listen to Apple Dolby Atmos hi-res music.. currently listening to Kacey Musgraves’ “Rainbow” in Hi-Resolution Lossless.

View attachment 49180
I like “High Horse” from that album. Here are a few things to consider for Apple Music. It looks like you need to go into the phone settings and turn on atmos in the Music app settings. It may be set to “Auto.” You can select “Always On” and the the Dolby Atmos logo will be displayed on any track that contains Dolby Atmos while playing it.

Ok, so the bad news. Airplay 2 cannot send atmos to the receiver and you will get a two channel track sent over in 16/44.1. Jury is still out wether or not Airplay 2 does the 24/48 conversion like an HDMI connection does on Macs and the Apple TV 4K. Whatever it is, it sounds very good but is not atmos.

At the moment, getting atmos to the receiver from Apple Music can only be done using an Apple TV via HDMI. Though, this means atmos tracks, hi-res tracks and CD quality lossless tracks will all get the 24/48 treatment. The Yamaha will then be able to playback and display the atmos information as it recognizes the atmos metadata, provided atmos is enabled in the Apple TV.

“But, all of my speakers are working. How can it not be atmos?” If all speakers are on, Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X may be active. It could also be any number of the sound modes in the Yamaha. If you like it that way, try it in Dolby Surround with Center Spread on. For the actual atmos experience, you’ll need the Apple TV for Apple Music atmos tracks.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
I like “High Horse” from that album. Here are a few things to consider for Apple Music. It looks like you need to go into the phone settings and turn on atmos in the Music app settings. It may be set to “Auto.” You can select “Always On” and the the Dolby Atmos logo will be displayed on any track that contains Dolby Atmos while playing it.

Ok, so the bad news. Airplay 2 cannot send atmos to the receiver and you will get a two channel track sent over in 16/44.1. Jury is still out wether or not Airplay 2 does the 24/48 conversion like an HDMI connection does on Macs and the Apple TV 4K. Whatever it is, it sounds very good but is not atmos.

At the moment, getting atmos to the receiver from Apple Music can only be done using an Apple TV via HDMI. Though, this means atmos tracks, hi-res tracks and CD quality lossless tracks will all get the 24/48 treatment. The Yamaha will then be able to playback and display the atmos information as it recognizes the atmos metadata, provided atmos is enabled in the Apple TV.

“But, all of my speakers are working. How can it not be atmos?” If all speakers are on, Dolby Surround or DTS Neural:X may be active. It could also be any number of the sound modes in the Yamaha. If you like it that way, try it in Dolby Surround with Center Spread on. For the actual atmos experience, you’ll need the Apple TV for Apple Music atmos tracks.
thx for the info.. luckily I have a 4K apple tv..I’m going to re-listen to the Marvin Gaye: From Mono to Stereo to Spatial again directly from my Apple TV.

although my current setup is HDMI from Apple TV to TV and fiber optic cable from TV to receiver. Not sure if that will still get me Atmos music.. I think it should as I’m supposedly getting Atmos movies from the Apple TV.

Last edited:
G

GotAudio

Audioholic
thx for the info.. luckily I have a 4K apple tv..I’m going to re-listen to the Marvin Gaye: From Mono to Stereo to Spatial again directly from my Apple TV.

although my current setup is HDMI from Apple TV to TV and fiber optic cable from TV to receiver. Not sure if that will still get me Atmos music.. I think it should as I’m supposedly getting Atmos movies from the Apple TV.
Scrap that .. just did a little research and HDMI is better in terms of being able to handle higher quality audio.. just ordered a 4K hdmi cable off Amazon.. to imagine I’ve been watching movies and listening to music off a measly fiber optic cable for so long .. :Banghead:

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, it happens. In the meantime, I'd set the audio output on the Apple TV 4K to Dolby Digital 5.1. Optical can handle that much and you will at least get discreet 5.1 and the receiver will indicate a Dolby signal. Oh, and check the TV settings and make sure it is bitstreaming any externally connected digital audio signals and not converting them to PCM. Make sure the cable you ordered is premium certified and at least 18gbps. Once new cable is connected, go into audio settings in the Apple TV 4K and set it to best available and turn on atmos. Heads up though, the Yamaha may display DTHD for a sec before sorting things out and delivering atmos after about a two second delay in sound delivery.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Right back at ya @j_garcia. Some Zazen Boys from Japan. You gotta at least check out the bass and drums between the 2:00 and 3:00 minute mark. Holy Crap!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Primus is definitely out there in left field. Never really know what you will get with them.

Les Claypool is a hell of a bassist though. Nobody else like him.

And some goofball stuff

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Primus is definitely out there in left field. Never really know what you will get with them.

Les Claypool is a hell of a bassist though. Nobody else like him.

And some goofball stuff
Yeah, Les is an odd duck for sure.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
No reason. It was in my feed as well.

Might be because I was listening to this yesterday:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis