On the fence SR8012

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I am trying to find out if the SR8012 will have an upgrade path to HDMI 2.1. Marantz states they do not have details on future upgrades. (really??) I have seen other forum posts that state they will change out the hardware for a fee. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? If not where can I find reliable information on this simple question? The fact that I am ready to buy their flagship receiver and can't get an honest answer from them is a bit unsettling.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd think they'd know. They were able to market the Denon 8500 with that information....or is there a new flagship Marantz unit in the works still?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Sorry to beat a dead horse but I am trying to find out if the SR8012 will have an upgrade path to HDMI 2.1. Marantz states they do not have details on future upgrades. (really??) I have seen other forum posts that state they will change out the hardware for a fee. Does anyone have a definitive answer on this? If not where can I find reliable information on this simple question? The fact that I am ready to buy their flagship receiver and can't get an honest answer from them is a bit unsettling.
According to some reliable sources, for 2017 models, only the D&M flag ships, the AV8805 and AVR-X8500H are supposed to get the HDMI 2.1 upgrade via both hardware and software and become 8K capable.

R

Ras777

Audioholic
Curious Peng who are your reliable sources? When I call Marantz they are elusive at best. And isn't the SR 8012 a year old now? Marantz is showing it as a new model on their website. For someone like me who will be replacing their TV in the next year or two spending, that kind of money without an upgrade path would be foolish.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Curious Peng who are your reliable sources? When I call Marantz they are elusive at best. And isn't the SR 8012 a year old now? Marantz is showing it as a new model on their website. For someone like me who will be replacing their TV in the next year or two spending, that kind of money without an upgrade path would be foolish.
Audioholics.com, soundandvision.com, avsforum (jdsmoothie),among others. I don't think anyone has said the 8012 is definitely excluded, it is more like a case of exclusion by omission. So I suppose it is still a possibility though highly unlikely, for a 2 to 3 years old (2019/2020) pseudo flag ship model to get a major upgrade. In any case, I think it will be a costly one too. Imo, it makes more practical sense to go with a SR7012 or the cheaper AVR-X4400H and a 5 channel power amp. You will get more value for the money and be on a more flexible and economical future upgrade path.

You may want to PM @M Code, he mostly likely can find out for you if he does not know it for sure already.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis