OLED Brightness and Color

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Dumb question -- if QLED/LED can get so much brighter than OLED (presumably making it better for HDR content?), doesn't have image retention issues (or burn in) and supposedly has a better color gamut, why does almost everyone recommend OLED over any LED unless watching in a very bright room or watching mostly static content?
... Asked by someone who just ordered a Sony OLED to replace a Samsung plasma.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just replaced a vizio LCD/LED TV with an OLED and the difference isn't even comparable. I have a panasonic plasma too and the OLED blows it out of the water when it comes to the colors it can display. Black is damn close on my plasma, but none of the LCDs I have can come close.

I have a pretty decent Sony LCD in my bedroom and it can get very bright, it doesn't compare to the OLED picture. At all.

Sure, the QLED can get more nits out, but that's not the entire story. My main complaint about TVs and other displays is that black isn't even close to true black. OLED is true black which gives better contrast and my TV can get bright enough that it has no issues in my fairly bright room.

If you have an abundance of ambient light, then I'd go with whatever can combat ambient light the best.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I just replaced a vizio LCD/LED TV with an OLED and the difference isn't even comparable. I have a panasonic plasma too and the OLED blows it out of the water when it comes to the colors it can display. Black is damn close on my plasma, but none of the LCDs I have can come close.

I have a pretty decent Sony LCD in my bedroom and it can get very bright, it doesn't compare to the OLED picture. At all.

Sure, the QLED can get more nits out, but that's not the entire story. My main complaint about TVs and other displays is that black isn't even close to true black. OLED is true black which gives better contrast and my TV can get bright enough that it has no issues in my fairly bright room.

If you have an abundance of ambient light, then I'd go with whatever can combat ambient light the best.
Good to know. We almost never watch TV or movies other than at night and in the dark (or very close). An OLED seemed like the obvious choice, especially coming from a plasma. I just find it interesting watching reviews online that there often seems to be more things they list in favor of the better LED TVs vs. an OLED and say that most people will wind up with an LED, but they always conclude that an OLED is the best option if you have the budget and the few downsides aren't deal breakers given a person's use.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I think if you can’t tell the difference at Costco then you are probably in denial. The OLED blows the others away by a large margin. I just am not in the market for that $3,000 77in OLED right now. Maybe in a year or two. LOL :)

A

ahender

Audioholic Intern

Visio OLED?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I think if you can’t tell the difference at Costco then you are probably in denial. The OLED blows the others away by a large margin. I just am not in the market for that $3,000 77in OLED right now. Maybe in a year or two. LOL :)
No room for a 77 incher here. I went to a 65 (from a 51) and am hoping that's not going to be too big when it gets here. The calculators say it is fine, if not a little small according to some, but I still have some question.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Visio OLED?
I won't be purchasing Vizio again. My lcd didn't last nearly long enough. Oled price for the Vizio isn't worth the savings. I would have got a Sony, but the tv I got was too good a deal to pass on.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
No room for a 77 incher here. I went to a 65 (from a 51) and am hoping that's not going to be too big when it gets here. The calculators say it is fine, if not a little small according to some, but I still have some question.
I went from a 70" to a 65" and the difference is noticable, but the pq quality difference is so vast that I don't care. Besides, there aren't really any good choices at 70" anyway.

Let's just say after getting an oled tv and owning a few good plasmas, I won't be buying anything with an lcd panel again if I can help it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
The 65 will feel super large for a couple years compared to the 51. I’ve had a 65in TV since 2017 so 77 makes a lot of sense in my situation.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
The 65 will feel super large for a couple years compared to the 51. I’ve had a 65in TV since 2017 so 77 makes a lot of sense in my situation.
I hope it doesn't take quite that long, but I've had the 51 since 2012 so it will be a big change. I was just going to go to a 55 inch, but I was thinking it might not make that big of a difference after all this time. I suspect 4k with letter-box will be fine. I'm more concerned about full screen shows and how it looks in the room in general.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I hope it doesn't take quite that long, but I've had the 51 since 2012 so it will be a big change. I was just going to go to a 55 inch, but I was thinking it might not make that big of a difference after all this time. I suspect 4k with letter-box will be fine. I'm more concerned about full screen shows and how it looks in the room in general.
If you are less than 6 feet from a 65", then consider something smaller. Maybe.

I'm 10' from a 120" screen in my theater. Same distance (or more) from my 65" oled. It's fine at that distance. Any further, I'd have looked at a bigger size.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
If you are less than 6 feet from a 65", then consider something smaller. Maybe.

I'm 10' from a 120" screen in my theater. Same distance (or more) from my 65" oled. It's fine at that distance. Any further, I'd have looked at a bigger size.
I should be about 8 1/2 - 9 feet (eyes to screen). Sounds like it should be no issue. I did cut out a a box to dimensions to see if it was OK. It seemed big, but not that bad. I just wasn't sure what it would be like with an actual moving image instead of cardboard.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I should be about 8 1/2 - 9 feet (eyes to screen). Sounds like it should be no issue. I did cut out a a box to dimensions to see if it was OK. It seemed big, but not that bad. I just wasn't sure what it would be like with an actual moving image instead of cardboard.
It'll be awesome. That's a good size for that distance. You'll be happy with it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
You can't use cardboard or anything else. You actually have to put it up and watch TV on it. This is a fallacy of human perception. Thinking you can throw some measurements up and know how your eye is going to work. You just can't.

In time after time after time after time, the number one complaint people have after buying a TV is that they wish they had gotten the next size larger.

I've convinced clients for years to get a bigger TV than they wanted to buy, and often I'm not selling them the TV in the first place. So, no profit for me on the TV sale. The goal is to get the right size for the viewing distance. At 9', you can easily support a 75" display. It takes a few hours of viewing before you wondered why you worried about it being too large at all. I've had weekend installations where people have thanked me before I left for insisting they purchase much larger than they had planned for. I have NEVER had someone wish they had moved to a smaller size ever.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
You can't use cardboard or anything else. You actually have to put it up and watch TV on it. This is a fallacy of human perception. Thinking you can throw some measurements up and know how your eye is going to work. You just can't.

In time after time after time after time, the number one complaint people have after buying a TV is that they wish they had gotten the next size larger.

I've convinced clients for years to get a bigger TV than they wanted to buy, and often I'm not selling them the TV in the first place. So, no profit for me on the TV sale. The goal is to get the right size for the viewing distance. At 9', you can easily support a 75" display. It takes a few hours of viewing before you wondered why you worried about it being too large at all. I've had weekend installations where people have thanked me before I left for insisting they purchase much larger than they had planned for. I have NEVER had someone wish they had moved to a smaller size ever.
That's good to know. If nothing else, cardboard works well to ensure it will fit. The wall is a partial (about 7 feet wide) and there are speakers, subwoofer, etc. Physically, the space won't support a 75" display even if I wanted one, but a 65 inch will fit.

On a completely different point (and again probably naive), my center channel speaker is around 6 1/2 inches high and sits on the top shelf of a unit that holds my receiver, etc. The unit is a bit off center and I would want the TV to be centered on or over the unit. If I mount the TV on the wall and the mount was centered on the wall, can the TV be hung off center on the mount so I can center it on the unit rather than the wall? (I hope that makes sense).

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

RIGHT!

Nobody, ever, has said, "dang, I wish I had bought a smaller TV!".

Unless the TV is physically not able to fit into your space, it is not possible to buy too big. Buy the biggest TV that you can afford and that will fit in your space!

As far as OLED vs. brightness, I really just don't understand. I have a 65" OLED in a well lit room with 5 windows. I did have to bump up the brightness quite a bit, but it is plenty bright to me, and isn't washed out like some previous techs would be at high brightness settings.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
RIGHT!

Nobody, ever, has said, "dang, I wish I had bought a smaller TV!".

Unless the TV is physically not able to fit into your space, it is not possible to buy too big. Buy the biggest TV that you can afford and that will fit in your space!

As far as OLED vs. brightness, I really just don't understand. I have a 65" OLED in a well lit room with 5 windows. I did have to bump up the brightness quite a bit, but it is plenty bright to me, and isn't washed out like some previous techs would be at high brightness settings.
This is pretty much my experience as well. It's actually a lot brighter than I thought it'd be. When it's night and the lights are lower, that TV can do some damage if you aren't ready for it. :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's good to know. If nothing else, cardboard works well to ensure it will fit. The wall is a partial (about 7 feet wide) and there are speakers, subwoofer, etc. Physically, the space won't support a 75" display even if I wanted one, but a 65 inch will fit.

On a completely different point (and again probably naive), my center channel speaker is around 6 1/2 inches high and sits on the top shelf of a unit that holds my receiver, etc. The unit is a bit off center and I would want the TV to be centered on or over the unit. If I mount the TV on the wall and the mount was centered on the wall (assuming the studs are centered), can the TV be hung off center on the mount so I can center it on the unit rather than the wall? (I hope that makes sense).
Probably depends on the mount, and BMX will have more experience than me.

But, the mounts I have seen the most basically have hooks on the TV that slide over rails on the mounts, and those allow some flexibility right/left on where you hook the TV to the mount rails.

There are other options with how you mount the mount to the wall too. For example, if the studs don't align in the ideal location, it is possible to mount a board or ply-wood to the studs, then the mount to the boards. I'm sure you need at least 1 of the mount bolts to hit a stud, but I have seen some workarounds when you can't get more than 1 bolt to hit a stud.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is pretty much my experience as well. It's actually a lot brighter than I thought it'd be. When it's night and the lights are lower, that TV can do some damage if you aren't ready for it. :)
What I have personally found as the most awesome visuals from OLED is lightning strikes at night, and things like when the scene is generally dark and the main character shines a flashlight "in my face". In those situations, I have found myself squinting, as if someone were really shining a light in my face. And, that awesome dynamic range from black darkness to a lightning strike is worth the price of entry to me.

Of course, shadow detail in dark scenes is unrivaled for OLED too.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I am sure it will seem plenty bright, especially compared to my plasma from 2012 :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis