Older amp, upgrading capacitors

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The challenge is that to properly measure a capacitor it needs to be removed from the circuit, which means you need to deinstall it. My opinion is that once you go through that much annoyance you might as well replace it.

From the Fluke web site:

https://www.fluke.com/en-us/learn/best-practices/test-tools-basics/digital-multimeters/how-to-measure-capacitance-with-a-digital-multimeter
...and may as well measure the old caps even if you are replacing them. And report back so we can see how much they've strayed from spec.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Thanks, I will download that tonight. I already downloaded Dirac but that may not be appropriate for my purposes. I also downloaded the Umik microphone files but all I got were notepad documents with tons of data points. The microphone was not plugged into my laptop at the time so I’m thinking that may have been the problem.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, I will download that tonight. I already downloaded Dirac but that may not be appropriate for my purposes. I also downloaded the Umik microphone files but all I got were notepad documents with tons of data points. The microphone was not plugged into my laptop at the time so I’m thinking that may have been the problem.
The calibration file with the mic needs to be associated with the software you use the mic with. REW is mostly about measurement rather than implementing eq, altho with some gear it can provide a path to do so.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been thinking about busting everything out and trying something new. I need to wait for it to cool off tho. I don't like to have the ac running when I take measurements. It's just too hot right now and I'll be tied up for hours with it.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
I've met a few folks who feel the same way you do about some cherished equipment. And the kaboom risk is real. If you're willing to pay, it's the conservative strategy for longevity.
My Onkyo M508 was fully recapped just before I bought it, and it was done by a shop that's been around since like 1974. I looked over the job and it was done very well, and the caps were at least as good or better than the originals, which I had no complaints about at all. With the InfinityAC T8 on top of it, it runs vastly cooler than it did without it, so the lifespan of the new caps should exceed what I have left in mine. I'll let whoever I leave the stuff to to decide what to do with it. I just did an old SW radio recently that sadly had the filter caps glued to the PC board and it took longer to cut through that damn glue and finish removing what was left than it did to take the radio apart, remove the PC board, unsolder the old, solder the new ones in and put it back together. It's a good thing I don't anger easily and don't get frustrated often, as I can see how someone might get into a hurry and cause a disaster taking the old ones out. I bought an old radio once with the original caps hacksawed off just above the glue and the new caps, smaller in size, were hot glued to the old ones, with umbilicals to the PC board. That one made me laugh, like the time I was given a "Dead" scanner and when I opened it up, I found out the mod that allowed cellphone reception (Those were the days!) had been done as badly as it could be, with a blob of solder the size of a quarter sitting on top of the CPU IC, with a 10 gauge wire stuck to it. I got my solder sucker out and was totally blown away when after I removed all the solder, the radio fired up and it worked 100%! I wish I had taken a pic of it, it was one of the worst hack jobs I've ever seen. And then there was the guy who attempted to mod his handheld scanner and melted the case, AND managed to mess up a 10 minute mod job. He was rightly embarrassed to even let me see it. He got lucky, I had a corpse radio and swapped the cases on them, and did the mod he had messed up.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis