Old sub enclosure worth rebuilding?

J

JES14

Audioholic
I aquired a JBL sub, no driver and amp blown. I'm looking for opinions on whether this is worth re-building. I would like to have it reach to the sub 20 hz. region without costing more then buying a new SVS etc. The enclosure is 3/4" MDF, 16" deep x 13" wide x 17" tall. The old driver was 10" with a 100 watt amp. Any help appreciated!

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Call PE at 800-338-0531. They'll tell you what's possible with that box size. The Titanic 12" driver has an Fs of a little over 22Hz and Xmax of 18.7 mm (big movement), but you may need a larger box or a modification to the port to achieve those numbers at usable dB's. The part no. is 295-404 and runs $135.

You can put a beefy amp in there since the driver will handle 500 watts rms. Check out the Dayton 300-806 amp for $240. Just hope that setup doens't turn your box into confetti. You may need some extra bracing. ;)

J

JES14

Audioholic
Thanks Buckeyefan, I will e-mail support at parts express see what they suggest.

J

JES14

Audioholic
Not much input from the DIY crowd...
I heard back from Chris at Parts Express, Quote
" You could use the 295-485 woofer and the 300-802 amplifier and this is the best performing setup in this price range. for this enclosure. "
$102 for the pair, when I told him budget of up to $300. I guess he is telling me the enclosure can't handle much power.
Anyone have any suggestions or is this sub bound to end up in the garage system.

D

Dryseals

Audioholic Intern
Just my humble opinion, I see lots of folks shooting for the sub 20HZ, seems to be a trend, why, I'll never know. But if you are going to shoot for a mark, then set some goals that are easy to obtain. For the vast majority of 10" speakers, 20HZ is not a realistic goal. I know I'll string up a bunch of cries for foul from folks out there, but the physical properties of a normal 10" speaker will not allow it to operate in that area without eventually damaging the speaker and maybe the amp. Shoot for a goal that works with the speaker, if the speaker has free air of say 31HZ, don't try and force it down further, work with it not against it. If you want that 20HZ range then find a speaker that doesn't mind getting down there, but you are going to find that these will be much larger, 15's to 18's. Now of you spend the cash, you can find a 10" that might be happy down there, but what are you spending for? How much of the sound/music spends its time there?

The other thing to think of is that always build the box for the speaker not the speaker for the box.

Just my two cents.

J

JES14

Audioholic
Yes, 20 hz range is probably a pipe dream with this box. But really I was just hoping for something lower then the 27hz my Velodyne CHT-10 reaches. Dryseals, I think your last sentence hits the nail on the head. I may just put this enclosure together on the cheap for a garage system. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis