Old Samsung TV playing up

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
I have an old Samsung LED TV (UE37D5520 37-inch Full HD 1080p) which was handy for occasional use in the spare bedroom. It was working really well, but now it's started cycling on and off (8 seconds on, 11 seconds off). While it's on, the remote works and can even put it into standby, but it just comes on again 11 seconds later. 8 seconds isn't long enough to get to the diagnostics menu, let alone run any tests.

I'm guessing it's a power-supply issue, so I took the back off to see if there were any blown caps or signs of scorching, but it all looked pristine.

Looks like it's going to the dump, but does anyone recognise this problem?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Not enough info to make any real assessment. Could be a power supply issue but could also be a problem elsewhere in the TV causing the protection circuitry in the power supply to cycle on and off. Problem is that these are often one circuit board devices, so you can't disconnect the power supply to test it separately. Something that a qualified repair tech would need to look into.

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
Not enough info to make any real assessment. Could be a power supply issue but could also be a problem elsewhere in the TV causing the protection circuitry in the power supply to cycle on and off. Problem is that these are often one circuit board devices, so you can't disconnect the power supply to test it separately. Something that a qualified repair tech would need to look into.
OK; thanks for the assessment. The TV's 10 years old now, so it's probably not worth the cost of repair.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a factory reset option? Try a soft reset (just unplugging it for a while)? Might clear out a glitch....maybe.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
OK; thanks for the assessment. The TV's 10 years old now, so it's probably not worth the cost of repair.
Probably not in that size when you can get a new one for $200-$300 with a warranty.

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
Is there a factory reset option? Try a soft reset (just unplugging it for a while)? Might clear out a glitch....maybe.
There's no factory reset option except through the menus, and the TV doesn't stay on long enough to access it. I had to unplug it overnight because it wouldn't stay off, but the problem persisted.

D

dlorde

Audioholic Intern
Probably not in that size when you can get a new one for $200-$300 with a warranty.
Yes; unfortunately, they don't seem to make good 32" TVs these days, the best-rated ones i can find are all around 4 years old - not that that's a problem in itself, but the hardware (wifi, Bluetooth, USB) will be last generation. Still, if it's replacing a 10 year-old TV... ;)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I can say that I picked up a 58" Hisense Roku TV last year for a spare bedroom and got it, all in, for under $300. The image quality was significantly better than most of the 10+ year old TVs which I had in my home at the time and much better than what it replaced which was a 10+ year old 42" Sharp TV.

I think you may find that the current generation of 'cheap' TVs really won't disappoint on image quality. Especially for an occasional use location.

K

knowslittle

Audiophyte
dlorde... many Samsung TV's had capacitor 'problems' that emerged from less than great, original caps.
My tv cycled on and off for a while. It was worthless. I watched a 90 year old grandma on youtube do thee swap. So I knew I could, also.
Big River used to sell kits exclusively for specific Sammy TV's. I entered my TV's serial number and the kit came up available.
A bag of capacitors and a small bit of experience in solder and the set works like new and has now for a couple years. Removing and replacing the bulged capacitors. I think me set needed 3 or 4 caps replaced.
Getting into the back of a TV is intimidating but there is really very little in there to scare you!
Those caps were on the power supply board. My old LN52A750 like new!

K

knowslittle

Audiophyte
dlorde... many Samsung TV's had capacitor 'problems' that emerged from less than great, original caps.
My tv cycled on and off for a while. It was worthless. I watched a 90 year old grandma on youtube do the swap. So I knew I could, also.
Big River used to sell kits exclusively for specific Sammy TV's. I enetered my TV's serial number and the kit came up available.
A bag of capacitors and a small bit of experience in solder and the set works like new and has now for a couple years. Removing and replacing the bulged capacitors. I think my set needed 3 or 4 caps replaced.
Getting into the back of a TV is intimidating but there is really very little in there to scare you!
Those caps were on the power supply board. My old LN52A750 like new!
"Big River' being the huge internet shopping site. I don't know if I can post the name. I'm an FNG here.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I can say that I picked up a 58" Hisense Roku TV last year for a spare bedroom and got it, all in, for under $300. The image quality was significantly better than most of the 10+ year old TVs which I had in my home at the time and much better than what it replaced which was a 10+ year old 42" Sharp TV.

I think you may find that the current generation of 'cheap' TVs really won't disappoint on image quality. Especially for an occasional use location.
How does that brand compare to others ? There q dot model looks nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis