Old NAD charging iPad via RCA’s

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
So I took my NAD 705 out of the garage and put it in my bedroom hooked up to an iPad with a thunderbolt to headphone to RCA’s into the NAD. Weird thing is the iPad is charging off the NAD CD input. My only real concern is fire, is the NAD doing something significantly outside it’s design by feeding power out of the CD input RCA’s?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How much is it actually "charging" it though?

If you use an old phone charger with current models it will say it's being charged, but then you look and realize that it will take 24 hours to fully charge the phone...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So I took my NAD 705 out of the garage and put it in my bedroom hooked up to an iPad with a thunderbolt to headphone to RCA’s into the NAD. Weird thing is the iPad is charging off the NAD CD input. My only real concern is fire, is the NAD doing something significantly outside it’s design by feeding power out of the CD input RCA’s?
Seems odd and unlikely that you are charging it from an RCA input!

Perhaps a snooping around a bit with a multimeter would provide some insight.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
How much is it actually "charging" it though?

If you use an old phone charger with current models it will say it's being charged, but then you look and realize that it will take 24 hours to fully charge the phone...
I just leave it plugged in and it stays at 100%. I’m sure it’s not much but I didn’t think there should be any output from RCA input.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can't say I've ever had such an experience with portable devices charging from being plugged into an rca input like that (and can't say I'd ever even looked for something like that happening either)....might want to see if NAD can shed any light on that?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis