Old guy with new questions

D

Doodaddy

Audiophyte
Hello all. Been a while since I've updated any equipment. Technology has moved forward and I find my current Pioneer SC-1222 will not support 4k so I've replaced it with the Denon AVR-X3600H. My question is concerning speakers. I currently have the full Pioneer Andrew Jones minus sub. (2-floor, 1-center, 4-bookshelf with atmos) paired with a single Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub.

Will this speaker set-up allow me to enjoy the 3600h? I know they are not cutting edge, current, or even very fashionable, but they still sound good. They have been around for a while and I really do like them. If, however, they hold my receiver back by being inadequate, I will replace them. I'm sure it will be tough to let them go. Especially for what I paid for them. Been a great value. Don't want OMG expensive cause truthfully I can't afford it. Thinking value per $$$.

So, suggestions and opinions please. It would be appreciated.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hello all. Been a while since I've updated any equipment. Technology has moved forward and I find my current Pioneer SC-1222 will not support 4k so I've replaced it with the Denon AVR-X3600H. My question is concerning speakers. I currently have the full Pioneer Andrew Jones minus sub. (2-floor, 1-center, 4-bookshelf with atmos) paired with a single Outlaw LFM-1 EX sub.

Will this speaker set-up allow me to enjoy the 3600h? I know they are not cutting edge, current, or even very fashionable, but they still sound good. They have been around for a while and I really do like them. If, however, they hold my receiver back by being inadequate, I will replace them. I'm sure it will be tough to let them go. Especially for what I paid for them. Been a great value. Don't want OMG expensive cause truthfully I can't afford it. Thinking value per $$$.

Welcome fellow old dude :) I wouldn't worry about using the 3600, the feature set allows you to do the 4k....or use better speakers, altho those are nice speakers there are certainly better out there. Speakers are where the sound quality lies and is the usual choke point....but will cost a bit more to upgrade.... :)

ps So a budget might help....

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Enjoy! nice setup you have, are there better speakers sure but like you mentioned more money.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sound quality is mostly in the speakers. I recently upgraded from an old Onkyo HTIB receiver to a Marantz... I think there are some subtle improvements that can happen when such an upgrade happens...
As to your speaker situation, if you are happy with them, enjoy the sound, and everything is working well...
*shrugs
No need to upgrade.
If you feel something is off, on the other hand, then sure. Maybe consider something new. There are great values out there, for solid gear. How they might stack up against your speakers?...
*shrugs again
Only you can decide if it’s a path worth walking.
But again, if you are happy with your gear, then be happy with it and enjoy!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
(I should add: sometimes the best upgrade for your speakers can also be a free upgrade. Check out the site here and suggestions on how to make certain your gear is placed most advantageously for your room. Sometimes subtle changes in placement can yield improved SQ, just by taking care of the acoustics. :cool:)

D

Doodaddy

Audiophyte
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I've been satisfied with my current set-up for a while. Military, motorcycles, and firearms have done a number on my hearing. Don't think I'd really notice the subtle nuances between mid vs upper end speakers. These days, it's about volume. Lol

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the quick responses guys. I've been satisfied with my current set-up for a while. Military, motorcycles, and firearms have done a number on my hearing. Don't think I'd really notice the subtle nuances between mid vs upper end speakers. These days, it's about volume. Lol
Us old guys forget as much as we remember lol.. enjoy

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well there certainly are speakers that can get much louder than yours..... :)

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
More expensive better quality speakers may make it more difficult for you to hear dialogue compared to those you have now and are used to. It all depends on how your hearing is damaged. So if you have no problems with the current speakers save the money and dont change unless you have to at a later date for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It sounds like, if you were to consider an upgrade, you should look at speakers like the JBL Studio 5 Series: Horn Loaded and and higher sensitivity. They do go on deep sale, seemingly quite often. I'm only using these as an example, but they are well respected here among many of our friends and would be an easy speaker for the Denon to handle without additional amplification.
Again... only you can decide if you want to move on from the Pioneers you have.
Just dropping some info for the just-in-case. ;)

Cheers!

D

Doodaddy

Audiophyte
Think you guys are right. Keeping the AJ Pioneers for now. Receiver won't be in till Wed. Gonna set it up and see what I wind up with. Prepping for a new TV. Wanted to see what dropped at CES. $$$ saved on speakers now can be used towards it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Yes, when new receiver is set up and calibrated, see if it is loud enough for you. That is all that matters.
As you stated with all the different ways your hearing has been attacked in your life, just see if it is loud enough for your satisfaction.

D

Doodaddy

Audiophyte
Are we allowed to talk about deals? I got this for 799 new. No tax, free shipping and authorized dealer with factory warranty. Thought I'd pass it on. If it's OK, I'll post where.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Are we allowed to talk about deals? I got this for 799 new. No tax, free shipping and authorized dealer with factory warranty. Thought I'd pass it on. If it's OK, I'll post where.
We do have a "deals, deals, deals" thread you can share that in....or do it here. We love bargains :)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

I think you have gotten the jist of it on the speakers from the prior posts.

I recently updated a 20+ yr old system that had some nice speakers...but you don't know what you don't know if you don't listen to some newer speakers. Initially most of the speakers I was demoing didn't really sound much better than what I had. When I ramped up the pricepoint I started to hear something better than what I had.

So when time permits and there are some brick and mortar hifi options, check them out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis