Old Aiwa audio system worth keeping or not?

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
Hi,

I have an old Aiwa NSX-V50 600W PMPO audio system lying around in my house and Aux is the only input that still works in the system through the Mic input. CD, Tape and Radio features don't work anymore. The speakers still work just fine but they're passive speakers I believe.Hearing music while playing through Aux isn't that great because of reduced quality from Karoake mixing feature.

Please tell me is it still worth keeping this audio system or should I sell it and buy something new? Is it possible to give new life to the speakers if I can connect it to something else? I'm a complete noob when it comes to audio systems.

Thanks in advance

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

Probably cost more to fix than it’s worth. Check your manual - if the speakers are 8-ohms you can use them with a traditional stereo amplifier, but probably not with another mini-system like this.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
Thanks, I don't intend to fix the main audio system, just wondering whether I can plug those speakers into something and get them playing again.

Manual here says 6-ohm.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If the RCA inputs don't work on it, then I wouldn't use it for anything. The mic inputs are designed for 1 mV connections while the aux input is designed for 150mV connections. Make sure you don't have the mix set entirely to using the mic input, or it may turn the audio off completely and you would have no idea if the other inputs are working or not.

Strange for the Aux input to fail while a mic input still works.

Make sure you are on the right input to use the aux input, which will say 'VIDEO' on the front of the display (according to the manual).

If it just doesn't work, then I wouldn't think twice about tossing the whole thing. The speakers, at 6 ohms, are fine to use as part of another setup, but they are garbage speakers really, so not worth very much and wouldn't match another setup very well.

For a second zone of audio elsewhere... They would be fine if sound quality doesn't matter that much.

Understand - the MIC input is not the AUX input. The aux input are the RCA connections and they should sound very good if they are working. You should not be using the mic input as an aux. input, they are different connection types.

So, get a RCA to 1/8" mini connection if you want to hook up your phone to it, or just a set of RCA cables to hook up a cable box or something like that.

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
I'm sorry, when I meant Aux I actually meant the Mic/Karoake input. I never tried the RCA inputs because I didn't have the necessary 3.5mm to RCA adapter at the time.

I will try out if RCA works and I'll keep in mind to reduce the Mic mixer all the way down. Let me see if there any improvement in quality compared to Mic input.

It's disappointing to hear that the speakers are not worth salvaging, they looked really big and all.
The equalizer buttons are also not working and only pop is working, I really wanted to know if this speaker is capable of good bass out.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It will likely sound better than typical computer speakers, but it's a long way from a well built speaker.

Speaker specifications are here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/158768/Aiwa-Aiwa-Nsx-V50.html?page=64#manual

They use 5.5" drivers and are three way with a 3.25" tweeter and a 2" 'super tweeter'.

You can buy a 6.5" two-way speaker pair for $30 which would likely outperform these...
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=109&cp_id=10904&cs_id=1090407&p_id=24738&seq=1&format=2

But, that doesn't mean these completely suck. That's not how it works. If YOU are happy with the sound coming out of the Aux. input connection (RCAs) and have some use for the system, like playing music in the garage or something, then that's great. Audio is likely better than your TV speakers, so you could plug your cable box in to get better audio. That's fine.

Repurposing the speakers for use as part of a 'nice' home theater setup would not be something I would ever do or recommend.

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
Tried the RCA and doesn't work, then I remembered I had this set modified in 1997 to play video cds so the RCA input was converted to Video out with mono. So that's it, Mic is now the only way to input audio and it's terrible audio.

I guess now it's obvious that I have to sell this and maybe invest in active speakers, maybe a 2.1 with good bass.

Thanks for all the help and support. Any idea what would be a fair selling price for my system?

Montucky

Montucky

Full Audioholic
Thanks for all the help and support. Any idea what would be a fair selling price for my system?
Honestly you'll be lucky if you can even give it away for free on Craigslist. You definitely shouldn't expect any money for it. That's just the way it is. Much as it pains me, I've had to throw away plenty of perfectly good A/V gear over the years. I've given away plenty too. I've never been able to sell older stuff like that, let alone broken equipment. I'm always happy when electronics can go to a good home to be enjoyed a bit more, but that's about all I can hope for sometimes.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Tried the RCA and doesn't work, then I remembered I had this set modified in 1997 to play video cds so the RCA input was converted to Video out with mono. So that's it, Mic is now the only way to input audio and it's terrible audio.

I guess now it's obvious that I have to sell this and maybe invest in active speakers, maybe a 2.1 with good bass.

$0.00

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
Well so if it's not worth selling then I guess I better re-purpose it for some occasional audio listening.

Any idea what amplifier I should use since this is a 3 way bass reflex with surround speaker? I've only seen 2 way amps. Also choosing the impedance is a bit confusing to me since the front speaker is 6 ohms whereas the surround speaker is 16 ohms.

I would prefer cheaper amps since this speaker is not going to sound good anyway. Or should I use an amp and additional crossovers?

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well so if it's not worth selling then I guess I better re-purpose it for some occasional audio listening.

Any idea what amplifier I should use since this is a 3 way bass reflex with surround speaker? I've only seen 2 way amps. Also choosing the impedance is a bit confusing to me since the front speaker is 6 ohms whereas the surround speaker is 16 ohms.

I would prefer cheaper amps since this speaker is not going to sound good anyway. Or should I use an amp and additional crossovers?
For Heaven's sake just dump it off at the recycling center, and stop filling this forum with this nonsense.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It has a total of $2 in speakers inside of it. When part of a complete little setup, it was usable and fine, but at this point, it's nothing to talk about. The speakers are standard, low quality, 6 ohm speakers. Hook them up to almost any amp in the world.

You don't talk about gold plating garbage. You get rid of the junk, then if there is something of some value that can be used, you use it. But, you are spending a lot of time thinking about how to repurpose this product that has little real world value.

Almost any amp can run it, and you can check Craigslist or Parts Express for whatever is out there. A 20 year old A/V receiver that is $10 would work fine. Really, about anything will work.

You are seeing some hostility because, I guess because everyone is hung up on it being junk speakers. If someone came in and said I have some old 6 ohm speakers that I need to power, then the responses might be a bit more helpful. But, if you are serious about using these speakers, then you will need an amplifier, and almost any amplifier on the face of the earth will work just fine (almost!).

Just post a link to what you are looking at.

ie: This will work.. https://www.parts-express.com/kinter-ma-170-2-channel-mini-amplifier-bass-treble-rca-in-2-x-18w--310-372

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not one who takes any joy in being critical of another's system, but it's time to cut your losses and just forget anything about this system.

What city are you near? I'll peruse your local Craigslist and find a few systems in the $100 to $300 range that'll take you to a new level. You can build from there.

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
It has a total of $2 in speakers inside of it. When part of a complete little setup, it was usable and fine, but at this point, it's nothing to talk about. The speakers are standard, low quality, 6 ohm speakers. Hook them up to almost any amp in the world.

You don't talk about gold plating garbage. You get rid of the junk, then if there is something of some value that can be used, you use it. But, you are spending a lot of time thinking about how to repurpose this product that has little real world value.

Almost any amp can run it, and you can check Craigslist or Parts Express for whatever is out there. A 20 year old A/V receiver that is $10 would work fine. Really, about anything will work.

You are seeing some hostility because, I guess because everyone is hung up on it being junk speakers. If someone came in and said I have some old 6 ohm speakers that I need to power, then the responses might be a bit more helpful. But, if you are serious about using these speakers, then you will need an amplifier, and almost any amplifier on the face of the earth will work just fine (almost!).

Just post a link to what you are looking at.

ie: This will work.. https://www.parts-express.com/kinter-ma-170-2-channel-mini-amplifier-bass-treble-rca-in-2-x-18w--310-372
I get the point what others were telling, but I simply don't like to throw away stuff unless it's completely broken. I'm not an audio enthusiast so I don't mind the output these speakers give. To add insult to injury I also have tinnitus which means no matter how good a speaker sounds I still can't enjoy it.

The amp which you referred looks nice but isn't that 2x18W. I thought my speakers were 2x40W.
Another thing is that My speakers have a super tweeter but I couldn't find a 3 way passive crossover which supports super tweeters.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I get the point what others were telling, but I simply don't like to throw away stuff unless it's completely broken. I'm not an audio enthusiast so I don't mind the output these speakers give. To add insult to injury I also have tinnitus which means no matter how good a speaker sounds I still can't enjoy it.

The amp which you referred looks nice but isn't that 2x18W. I thought my speakers were 2x40W.
Another thing is that My speakers have a super tweeter but I couldn't find a 3 way passive crossover which supports super tweeters.
This unit was biamped using two amps per speaker and electronic crossover. Quite a few of those old boom boxes had this arrangement. I guess they used cheap IC power amps, which was cheaper than passive components. The tweeter is a cone type, impedance unspecified. The super tweeter is piezo and so needs no crossover.

I assume the woofer is the 6 ohm impedance. Your problem is that you don't know the crossover point, required slopes, and sensitivities of the woofer and tweeter. If you guess you will far more than likely blow the tweeter.

I have no idea what crossover you need to construct to make this work as the specs are totally incomplete. To all intense and purposes this unit IS completely broken.

If you don't care what it sounds like just run the woofer full range, no crossover and put a 5 mfd cap in series with the tweeter connection. It will sound awful but apparently you don't care. The power of the amp is irrelevant.

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
Ok I opened the speaker box to see how the wiring was done and this is what I found out.

L and R box has the above wiring. looks like they're all simply wired in parallel with a 2.7uF capacitor on the woofers terminal. I didn't bother to look at the surround speakers wiring since it was separate an I won't be using it anyways.

I used a cheap DMM to read ohms on the speaker terminals. Woofer I got around 6 ohms and tweeter was also around 6 ohms. For the super tweeter I didn't get any reading so it must be broken. I'm not going to use the surround speaker so I didn't measure that one.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ok I opened the speaker box to see how the wiring was done and this is what I found out.

L and R box has the above wiring. looks like they're all simply wired in parallel with a 2.7uF capacitor on the woofers terminal. I didn't bother to look at the surround speakers wiring since it was separate an I won't be using it anyways.

I used a cheap DMM to read ohms on the speaker terminals. Woofer I got around 6 ohms and tweeter was also around 6 ohms. For the super tweeter I didn't get any reading so it must be broken. I'm not going to use the surround speaker so I didn't measure that one.
No the tweeter is piezo so will have an impedance of around 2 million ohms.

The hook up on manuals on line is not like that. However that hookup is almost exactly what I told you to do.

It is full range to the woofer, and first order to the tweeter and the super tweeter does not need a crossover.

So you can connect the speakers to any amp. They are very crude and Hi-Fi they will not be.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just a random thought: I sometimes have fun smashing plastic speakers and electronics to bits. Good way to get frustrations out, and at the same time rid the world of crappy sound.

Nothing to do with this thread. Carry on.

:D

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just a random thought: I sometimes have fun smashing plastic speakers and electronics to bits. Good way to get frustrations out, and at the same time rid the world of crappy sound.

Nothing to do with this thread. Carry on.

:D
Me, I guard them at the curb until I hear them go into the crusher in the G-truck, so that some thrift lady won't salvage them into the endless thrift store bargain loop. Where some other bargain hunting female I know, will somehow find them again and re-gift them to me.

When my ex-wife left, and I got rid of all her yard sale bargains, I swore I had seen it and thrown it out before a few times. Sure enough, caught some old woman going thru it and I stopped her in her tracks. "No-no bargain lady. This stuff dies here. . . .today!"

P

paulasp

Audiophyte
No the tweeter is piezo so will have an impedance of around 2 million ohms.

The hook up on manuals on line is not like that. However that hookup is almost exactly what I told you to do.

It is full range to the woofer, and first order to the tweeter and the super tweeter does not need a crossover.

So you can connect the speakers to any amp. They are very crude and Hi-Fi they will not be.

Today I tried testing them and connected them to a PAM8403 mini 3W+3W amp module and they worked real fine.

I was surprised that they sounded much much better than how it did with the original system. This tiny module really outperformed a big ass system.

Thanks for all the help and support. Special thanks to BMXTRIX and TLS Guy.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis