OK to buy Pre-Owned Speakers?

J

jbrandoff

Enthusiast
Hi- Planning my new home theater and listening room and have been eyeing GoldenEar Triton speakers for years. I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Triton one.r speakers for about what the 2+ or even 3+ speakers would cost new. My room is not big and doesn't require more than the 2+, but I am excited by the prospect of getting better for less. Supposedly, the speakers are advertised as being floor demos, barely used and all original packaging. Obviously no warranty.

So what is conventional wisdom with buying "used" speakers these days? My heart tells me that these things are designed to last for decades so they should be ok. But the consumer in me is always hesitant to buy things with no warranty. Thoughts?
Thank you!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You say Floor Demo's. Are these from a Dealer or Private Individual?

Like anything else you purchase it's Buyer Beware. If your able to demo the speakers that's recommended. You have to feel good with the seller.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Agree with mazersteven, however I have had good results buying used 3 x Sierra 1s from a forum member.
No guarantee, but it betters the odds.

I am more wary of buying lower end speaker lines or sales on fleabay when sight unheard!

Additionally, A4L refurb's/closeouts have been a solid option for many of us as well.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve had lots of used speakers in the past, as well as present. My bedroom system has Paradigm Atoms that I got off Craigslist. My current Cantons date to the early ’90s and sound great.

I am more wary of buying lower end speaker lines or sales on fleabay when sight unheard!
That’s not a worry. If they have a problem that the seller didn’t disclose, ebay will make them refund your money.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Paul DS

Paul DS

Full Audioholic
Hi- Planning my new home theater and listening room and have been eyeing GoldenEar Triton speakers for years. I have an opportunity to purchase a pair of Triton one.r speakers for about what the 2+ or even 3+ speakers would cost new. My room is not big and doesn't require more than the 2+, but I am excited by the prospect of getting better for less. Supposedly, the speakers are advertised as being floor demos, barely used and all original packaging. Obviously no warranty.

So what is conventional wisdom with buying "used" speakers these days? My heart tells me that these things are designed to last for decades so they should be ok. But the consumer in me is always hesitant to buy things with no warranty. Thoughts?
Thank you!
Buying a used speaker all depends on the previous owner. Meaning, if the speaker has been abused or not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I can't hear/inspect in person I'm a little hesitant but good to know ebay might stand behind you....but have bought several used speakers without any particular issue....generally they're fairly long lasting.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I tend to not want to spend much more than half or so regular/sale price for used. If it’s within 30% of new and has no warranty then I say just buy new and get the security. If it’s something you will use for years then probably won’t seem like much once paid for. But I bet it usually works out Used just really sucks when it doesn’t work out :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My 2nd and 3rd system are all PSB speakers I bought used off of kijijji here in Canada. I auditioned them before purchasing them. Even the PSB subsonic 6 sub was a $50 dollar purchase and it provides a lot of in your gut bass.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
90% of the AV equipment I own is either used or factory refurbished or b-stock. I've had amazing luck and saved a ton of money. If you find a good deal you are comfortable with I say go for it!

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
You can save a lot by buying used... I have been buying used speakers for over 30 years and have never regretted a single purchase.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

P

pattyt21

Junior Audioholic
I built my entire home theater system with used. Front paradigm 800f towers, 10% off floor models, 1 week old, rear paradigm surround 1's, were trade ups, $275 pr., center 600, floor display, never hooked up, 15% off. Had to buy the sub new at full price, but because I bought everything as a package, he gave me over $100 off a klipsch one bluetooth speaker he had by the register. marantz sr7007, Craig's list, $350, FB marketplace, epson 8350 projector, $300. Second surround system for living room is infinity 650 system with 10" powered sub, $150, with marantz 5012 off Ebay for $300. The deals are out there, patience is key......dont rush.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.

Thank you!
Where are you located? If you're in the US, most places require that equipment which has never been sold comes with full warranty. Call Triton and ask about their policy- I would also ask the dealer what they're afraid of, if they have been "barely used".

If you're assuming there's no warranty, ask about it- demo speakers generally aren't abused but a discount level dealer may have employees who might want to "find out what they can do", but that would probably result in a PO'd manager if they ever find out about the salesperson's irresponsibility.

ellisr63

ellisr63

Full Audioholic
I purchased some ML Sequels that were floor demos years ago,and I got the full warranty.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Agree with a lot of the guys/gals(?) :D here about buying used speakers. All but one set of my speakers (KEF LS50's) were pre-owned. No complaints whatsoever.

Be patient, make sure to get a demo, bring along a demo disc of your favorite tunes/album to test and you should be golden.

Just stay away from white vans. :p

R

Riverman47

Audiophyte
My 2nd and 3rd system are all PSB speakers I bought used off of kijijji here in Canada. I auditioned them before purchasing them. Even the PSB subsonic 6 sub was a $50 dollar purchase and it provides a lot of in your gut bass.
I very much favor buying used stereo equipment. I just bought a used pair of Stratus Silvers in great condition from a local store. I auditioned them with some CDs I brought with me. The overall sound is excellent. I carefully inspected the woofers' surrounds for any damage and made sure the voice coils didn't rub which would have indicated overheating from the use of too much power. The few scratches on the dark cherry veneers were easily touched up with a brown sharpie that blended amazingly well. So do yourself a favor and buy used. You'll save a bunch of money that you can put to good use elsewhere.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis