OK I got the 5ES today.

N

norberth

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>turbo56k,

thanks for bringing that to my attention. in no way is it &quot;analog&quot;, I rectified the specs. well, keeping in mind that they are taken off of a major website that sells this receiver it's interesting to note how deceiving and misleading is the info for a new buyer ...</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>BTW does anyone know where I can get a new STR-DA5ES for under $700? &nbsp;Any help would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;Thanks!</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Reggie, think your pushing it a little if you want to get a new DA5ES for $700.  Not that it can't be done (I did it), it just takes some work.  As far as I can tell, the cost of the unit to retailers is in the $600-$650 range.  Retailers like to make some profit, even on last year's models.  I'd suggest you do a search on Goggle and contact some of the stores still listing them and see if you can get them to deal on the DA5ES as a last year's model (may need to talk to a manager).  Also, call Jim at Oade Brothers as Steve suggested, to see if he has any suggestions.

Good luck.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the advice. &nbsp;I already contacted the Oade Brothers and was told that they are completely out of the 5ES. &nbsp;Hopefully I can get my paws on one, but in any case, if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know. &nbsp;Thanks RTPBob!</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Can anyone provide real objective, scientific data that unequivocally prove to us all how the high dollar caps make a real difference in the overall performance and sound quality???

I have a STR-DA4ES, and it sounds awesome, quiet, enough SPL to cause me pain with some new Dahlquist QX10's...

An while your at it what the big deal over a pound here or there...put a brick in it!!

I have an old DENON DCD 3300. First generation CD player, commercial grade, galvo cables!!! Now A $200 CD player can outperform it spec wise...but they both sound great!!

There aint enough proof, real anlytical data that anyone has provided to prove to me that these receivers are that far apart except for cosmetics, features, ie useablity etc...and PRICE.

I'd love for you guys to do a double blid test and see if you really can pick out the stuff without peaking!

Alex</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Alex,
Would you do me a favor? please check if your 4ES still showing the last video source if you switch to a non video source. Make sure you don't turn off the video power by going to the set up menu and turn the dial until the few last options.
Once you set the pwer video is always on, you can play a dvd or sat and then using the remote to switch to a non video source such as cd, tuner.. and see if the video turn off or just the audio switches to the new source but the video is still playing?
thanks
My 5Es doesn't do that I am want to confirm if the 4ES does that then I will trade the 4ES with the 5ES.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">check if (the) 4ES still showing the last video source if you switch to a non video source</td></tr></table>
ctransj,
You can display any video source along with any audio source. Choose your video source (let's say &quot;DVD&quot;) in the normal way, with the remote or the function jog-dial on the receiver. Now push the &quot;Audio Split&quot; button on the front of the receiver (near the function jog dial) repeatedly until &quot;Audio: DVD&quot; (or is it &quot;A: DVD&quot;?) appears. Now turn the jog dial to select the audio source. The video will remain on DVD. I believe that the same can be performed using the 2-way remote, but I may be wrong (the old touchscreen-style 2-ways allowed this, but I don't know about the handheld one that the 5ES uses).</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>AaronB,
The audio split doens't do exactly what I want, it allow me to play digial input only from CD/DVD. Usually with my yamaha and I believe the previous ES receivers(444ES) does this: II can watch the sport channel from Sat and then switch to a non-video source, I can listen to the CD, tuner, tape and still be able to select analog vs digital, EQ, sound field......
Right now I am ok to use the 2nd room output, but i wish the 5ES wouldn't turn off the video.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>ctransj,
The 5ES (and 4ES and other recent ES receivers) have a feature which will automatically turn off the video circuits when an audio-only source is selected. Make sure this is turned off, if you want to be able to do what you describe. You will find it in the setup menu I believe. If this feature is enabled, you will certainly not get any video output when you select an audio source.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>ctransj,
To clarify, the feature I mentioned is called something like &quot;Video Power&quot; and you have two choices: ON or AUTO. Make sure it is set to ON. If it is set to AUTO, then the receiver will turn the video circuits off when set to an audio-only source. If it is set to ON, then the video circuits are always on.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis