OK I got the 5ES today.

C

ctransj

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Ok Guys,
Follow the advices from Gene and Stevie, I was able to get a brand new sony 5ES for $600 today. Well, I am excited but not much and plan to use it as pre/pro and have 3rd room stereo.
If I don't like it then I will bug two of you, because of your suggestion
. I will let you know, stay tune.

Thanks anyway.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Borg

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Where did you get it for $600?
Nice price!</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>ctransj - Congratulations, I just got one too the other day for $635. &nbsp;Did you get the one off e-bay? &nbsp;Also, as far as 3rd room audio, it is a little tricky. &nbsp;Have to use the remote control to adjust the volume (once it is set to be a 3rd room remote), can't just do it from the front panel. &nbsp;When I say tricky, there is nothing wrong with it, just took me a while to figure it out as I was testing various features. &nbsp;

Hope we both like it.</font>

C

ctransj

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Borg,
I got it from my friend who is a sony employee. The store clean up the inventory and has the last 5 of 5ESes for $560. it's a steal huh? i hate to put down the price because that makes you guys jealous
. It's damnn heavy and I like its bass management feature, but no video up conversion and 12V trigger.

RPTBob, question for you or anyone please helps.
I plan to use my 5ch HK amp to drive my 5 speakers so my question is : Can I still use the Center and the SB for the thirdroom? If I use the pre-out for 5.1 in main room then can I still use the center speaker teminal ? i know the SB is no problem.
My yamaha doesn't let me drive the speaker if I use the pre-amp for that channel.

Thanks.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Hi,

Could anyone please tell me the exact weight of the DA5ES as specified in the user manual?

Thank you
</font>

C

ctransj

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>OK
I didn't have time to set up my HT but I powered it up and compared side by side with my stereo set up:
Yamaha Cd player, HK PT2500, and Spectrascan 100W/ch amp, Infinity SM100.
I don't know if I set it up correctly but I am not impressive with 2ch stereo. It's a little bit thin and brighter and doesn't go as low low as my PT2500 goes. I will come back with this.

As for the weight, it's very heavy, 48lbs and the transformer is huge with ES logo.

I think my unit has a defect, the &quot;input mode&quot; button doesn't have the light as the &quot;audio split&quot; button. Please verify for me.</font>

B

Borg

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Ctransj,
Wow...wish I had a friend like that!!
Congrats on your purchase.</font>

R

RTPBob

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Ctransj, not sure what you mean by &quot;I think my unit has a defect, the &quot;input mode&quot; button doesn't have the light as the &quot;audio split&quot; button.&quot; &nbsp;At first glance, neither of the buttons are not back lighted, they are just silver in color.

As for your speaker question, I haven't had any time yet to play with the unit. &nbsp;It is the first step in building a HT. &nbsp;Got a chance to get a good price on a 5ES so took it before I got the rest of the components. &nbsp;It appears you'd be able to drive speakers from both the pre-outs (using another amp) and the amplifiers in the unit. &nbsp;But, I'd think that you'd want to use the 3rd room output and not the center &amp; SBs. &nbsp;Wouldn't the Center &amp; SBs be outputing a different set of sounds than the 3rd Room L &amp; R and therefore sound strange?</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Yes indeed. I have the DA4ES and the audio split is lit only when you mix sources (for example you use the DVD coax input to reproduce the sound for the SAT). Input does not light up. And thanks for the weight info.
And for anyone out there who cares, I strongly believe that the review of 9000ES vs. DA4ES was strongly biased and objective. As a simple example, he mentioned that the DA4ES loses seven lbs. compared to DA5ES. Interestingly enough the DA4ES weighs 46.2 lbs. If my math is correct the difference between 48 (as you mentioned earlier) and 46.2 is not 7 … Also the amplification section is put down throughout the article, only to admit in the end that it is “very clean” (i.e. no “hiss or hum” with digital sources even at the maximum volume). Also the difference between RISC and SHARC is debatable…</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Sorry, I meant to say &quot;subjective&quot; or &quot;not objective&quot; in the previous post ...</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Thanks for the responses on this forum.

Firstly, the reason I compare the 9000ES to the 4ES is that they both bare the name ES. &nbsp;It seems lately, that Sony is mis-using the ES name. &nbsp;What they do in one ES model, like the 9000ES and the 5ES, they didn't do in the 4ES and the 7ES. &nbsp;The power supply lost weight with an addition channel (I'll double check how much based on the comment above), the capacitors are less quality and so forth. &nbsp;OK, &nbsp;I do say the power supply is 'very clean', but that's not the only judge of a good power supply. &nbsp;There is the issue of high and low leak capacitors, efficiency and so on, not all of which is within this article. &nbsp;One of the reasons why I added so many hotlinks, is so folks in the forum can discuss more details that they research on their own with the hotlinks provided.

I also see the comment someone made about SHARC and RISC being debatable. &nbsp;My comment to all of you is, so debate it. &nbsp;That's what the forum is for.

Thanks again,

Stevie D</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>If I remember correctly, according to the Sony manuals, the DA4ES is heavier than the DA5ES, 1Kg (about 2 pounds) . I have the manual for both and I could check again if requested.
The 3ES and the 5ES have the same weight.Also, the 4ES and 7ES have the same weight.

Bruno</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>yes bruno, please ... check the weights and write them down here ... also steve, except for the power supply capacitors (15000 microF each which you rightly mentioned are generic) it seems that the DA4ES uses the Nichicon Gold Series capacitors on its boards, right?</font>

S

steve

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Norberth,

The 4ES does not use Nichicon Gold caps throughout the board as the 9000ES does. &nbsp;There are a few Nichicon Golds, but the Power Supply Caps are not, and other large caps are not. &nbsp;The difference may be the less quality generics are not low loss caps. &nbsp;

I am also researching the weights more and will post in the future. &nbsp;I have a hard time believing that the 4ES and the 7ES are the same weight, as Sony does beef up the power supply in the 7ES.

There are many good comments here and I'm glad to see you guys reacting to this article.

Thanks again,</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>Thanks bruno and stevie,

Yes Steve, you're right. I took a peek yesterday into the DA4ES and saw that although most capacitors are Nichicon, only a few are &quot;Gold&quot;. Anyway, after spending some time with this receiver I can say that it's growing on me.
For anyone who's interested, I assembled a little spec list with some pictures that I have taken from the DA4ES that is available at:
Norberth's DA4ES page
And yes, DA4ES and 7ES weigh the same. Still, the 7ES is more expensive due to marketing techniques not technical prowess. Plus, as I said earlier, it has the ES logo on its power supply (which probably is also just a BANDO, I have to check that)...
So, talk to you later guys and thanks again for your prompt replies.</font>

B

Borg

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Norberth,
on your da4es page you have the remote listed as a &quot;learning&quot; remote. &nbsp;I'm pretty sure it's not a learning remote (if not, please let me know how to make it learn!) as I have a friend with one.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>thanks for that observation borg, the info about the remote is misleading, I copied that from a site, I'll rectify it right now because the remote IS NOT learning, it can only be given various codes for different already pre-programmed manufacturers, and it has limited controlling abilities.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>My best movie experience from a sound perspective was two weeks ago when watching &quot;The Haunting&quot;, DTS edition.
I was amazed by the clarity and the level of details I could hear. For instance, somewhen at the beginning, during the scene where Theo and Eleanore are walking to their room on the big stairs, I could hear the sound of their steps on the carpet. I did not notice this when watching the movie one month ago at a friend's house.

My sound system consists of a Sony DA4ES, 5 Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 (9 feet away from my ears), no sub, the room is not big and well damped (I know, this is crazy
, but I had foam mattresses push-pinned on the ceiling and on the wall behind the listener, this improves sound clarity).

Of course, I don't know if I would have had the same experience with another receiver, Sony or not.

Bruno

PS: &quot;The Haunting&quot; is not a good movie, but it has a great sound track</font>

T

turbo56k

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>norberth,

you've listed &quot;analog bass management&quot; on your page, is that true or was it a typo error?

Anyway, I've just found a excellent review on the da5es at homecinemachoice.com, just click on the link below
Da5es

Stevie,

Can you confirmed that the Digital to Analog conversion stage is perform by TI's Burr Brown PCM1737 as listed.

Thanks,</font>

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis