Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

S

Spero D.

Audiophyte
Gene any update on your new firmware? Also when do you think your AVR-4806 review will be out?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene any update on your new firmware?
Looks like this firmware has some operational issues on my unit. In addition, the Audyssey results are less than flattering. I am hopeful Denon can get me new firmware in the next couple of weeks before my big relocation or I won't be able to address this until December timeframe. I will keep you advised.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Given the title of this thread, this is an apt question.

What do 5805 owners use to support this lump of electronics?

I live in Dubai, U.A.E., and can't find anything in the local market that it will even fit into, let alone take the weight of it plus cd, dvd, laserdisc, pvr, 2 sat boxes and a 42" plasma.

Am now looking at getting something made to measure.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
DavidA said:

I live in Dubai, U.A.E., and can't find anything in the local market that it will even fit into, let alone take the weight of it plus cd, dvd, laserdisc, pvr, 2 sat boxes and a 42" plasma.

I use the Adona racks with adjustable shelves and very solid build quality.
Check them out at
http://adonacorporation.com/products.html

geoh

R

rburton1

Enthusiast
DavidA said:

David,

I had the same issue. As a matter of fact my old rack started falling apart. I did some research and found that Bolts is one of the strongest and most versatile units on the market. Plus you can order these really nice wheels to facilitate access. I ended up "building my own" using four of the 14" shelves and was able to move all of my equipment into the unit. This cleared my TV and the old rack of equipment and IT ROLLS. Good built-in cable management and stylish as well. They also make matching CD, LP, Book Racks and TV stands. Check it out.

http://www.boltz.com/

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi
Maybe it's the saleman in me (see I can't spell it but I are one) but you might checkout becoming an agent for the mentioned products.

Strong well designed component racks make all your electronics look and work better.

Peter M.

T

theranman

Audiophyte
Whoooooo LORDY....dem Boltz be some fugly nasty lookin' stands!!! Almost blinded me! Looks like they done made 'em outta piles of discarded teeth braces... :(

Last edited:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Well summer is almost over, any word on when Denon will be releasing the proposed updates for the 5805 (analog video to HDMI up-conversion, OSD for HDMI, a fix for Audyssey issues, a fix for HDMI compatibilty issues, and DenonLink 3 for the 5910).

geoh

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Well, I ended up having to have a unit made by a local cabinet maker. The cost of shipping a ready made system over here was !!*!*.

It, and the amp. will be delivered tomorrow morning......

Edited to add:

Well, it's in and working, but only having to have the first one replaced because it had a bad hum (I think because the untrained tech. had caused a ground loop somewhere-but, hey-he's the expert, right?). The guys finished plumbing the second one in at 10pm, and I spent a few hours playing yesterday.

The only real problem I have at the moment is to get the video scaling working right. Half the time, all I get is a purple pattern on the screen, and my little Archos media player gives a picture that is 50% displaced downwards (this might be a native resolution issue).

Oh, and we managed to blow the power pack in one of the satellite boxes, so that had to go off for a replacement as well.

As luck would have it, there is a Denon engineer in town today to teach the local distributor how to install the units properly, and I'm currently trying to get him round to the house to use my system as a test rig-including doing any firmware upgrades that are necessary.

I also have to get the Harmony remote set up properly for it......but that's a whole other issue!

Last edited:
G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Is the newly announced firmware upgrade for the 5805 something that you fellow 5805 owners are interested in purchasing?
And is there any word when the other upgrades will be ready?(analog video to HDMI, Audyssey fix, etc....)

geoh

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Purchasing? Why should we pay anything for the Audyssey fix? For what we paid, we should get at least 2-3 years of free updates, regardless of what they are.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
I was in a Denon dealers showroom today, one with 6 different sized demo rooms.
The person I was speaking to (although not HAA certified) was the one who setup the audio for clients using a Sencore analyser. He compared (some kind of readings) using the Audessy in the 4806 to readings from the Sencore.

His comment was that the Audessy in it's present state was inaccurate
If people are going to make decisions about acoustical treatments or speaker purchases based on this software why would they release it if not ready for prime time?

Peter M.

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
Hmmm.. wonder if the 4806 has the Audyssey bug like the 5805.

After I installed the beta firmware update, there was a dramatic reduction in treble boost. I never took the time to check bass compensation to see what the beta did to it. But, the whole system sounded "tamer" after applying the upgrade.

AVS forum members are posting the the official fix is posted on the Denon website, but I don't see it.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
The dealer didn't comment on whether the Audessy program was identical as it moved through the models.

Perhaps the one in the 5805 has more features. If it is identical what is it's true dollar value?

Peter M.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have at the moment is to get the video scaling working right. Half the time, all I get is a purple pattern on the screen
Try changing the Display Mode in the OSD setup.

If people are going to make decisions about acoustical treatments or speaker purchases based on this software why would they release it if not ready for prime time?
Why would this system sway your speaker/acoustical treatment purchases? Audyssey is not a replacement for either. At best its a supplement. You still need good passive treatment for this system to perform optimally. That being said, the better the speakers, the less correction you should see, the worse the speaker, the more you will benefit from Audyssey.

D

Dary

Audiophyte
hjones4841 said:
After I installed the beta firmware update, there was a dramatic reduction in treble boost. I never took the time to check bass compensation to see what the beta did to it. But, the whole system sounded "tamer" after applying the upgrade.
How did you get the beta firmware? Is it for the 4806 or 5805?
Thanks.

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
A member of this forum and of AVS Forum stayed in contact with Denon about the firmware. It was e-mailed to him a month or so ago and he posted on AVS Forum that he would send it via e-mail to anyone who asked. Send me a private message with your e-mail address and I will send it to you. Be advised, however, that Audioholics experienced one or more problems with the firmware. I have not noticed any problems and it does seem to have helped "tame" the Audyssey's treble boost.

The firmware is only for the 5805 and not for the European version.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
I wonder how Denon will handle the problem of the additional controls that would be needed for streaming audio (and video?) from the pc if the firmware upgrade rumours are correct. The remote is not upgradeable, AFAIK, so how will it all work?

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis