Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
I am sure you have done this already, but check the speaker configuration menu and make sure that the subwoofer is set to ON. Have you run Audyssey? It should sense the sub as being there and set levels accordingly. No problem driving my Velodyne FSR-18 with my 5805.

T

tlmacaddino

Audiophyte
Selecting Main/LFE and Left/Right Sub Settings

I'm using Def Tech BP7000's as my main speakers with the 5805 (along w/CLR3000 for center and two pair of UIW BPZ/A in-walls for surrounds and backs). So far I'm very frustrated with Denon because I can't get a call back from their either their tech or mktg guys (at least 4-5 messages left) to answer any of my questions that the manual doesn't deal with explicitly (or maybe I'm too dense to find). My question today: when sub settings are set for Main/LFE (Pg 48, Menu Item 2-2.3) and 2 sub mode Left/Right (Pgs 99-100, Menu Item 7-1.4) I'm assuming that the left and right subs each receive the .1 LFE signals as well as the Audessey determined below cut-off low frequency signals for all SMALL speakers as determined by the MultEQ setup. In my case MultEQ selected 90Hz for the four surrounds and determined that the three fronts were large. I bi-amped the three front channels plus ran separate low-level amp inputs to each built-in powered sub in the three fronts. (The C/L/R3000 manual calls for a full range signal from the center channel pre-out to drive it's 150w subamp.) The BP7000's get their subamp signals from the L/R sub outputs shown on Pg 100 of the 5805 manual. I'm not sure why but I've got this gut feel that I'm missing something. Your input will be most appreciated.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,
My experience in Canada is that both marketing and/or tech help are spread pretty thin, but they have always gotten back to me. Perhaps the Holiday season has created a backlog!!

My Denon (upgraded 5800) does not have the (every seat is a good seat) type of programming but I was wondering if your happy with the results of a 90 crossover.

You seem to have very good main speakers. My Totem Model 1 sigs are pretty revealing also and I want to hear as much of them as possible so even though they are not phsically large (neither is my room) I've set them to large and crossed them at 40. My goal is to hear more music or movie from my speakers and Let my DefTech Super cube II just do the boom boom.

Your room, of course, dictates may things. BTW, I cleared the crossover with Totem (in fact they suggested it) an am very pleased with the results.

The fact that your using two subs and crossing them at 90 sort of jumped out at me. Sorry if this sounds out of line.

Peter M.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm assuming that the left and right subs each receive the .1 LFE signals as well as the Audessey determined below cut-off low frequency signals for all SMALL speakers as determined by the MultEQ setup. In my case MultEQ selected 90Hz for the four surrounds and determined that the three fronts were large.
Yes if you set up bass management for LFE + Main than LFE signal will goto both subs, but NOT the main channels. Did you read my review? I go over bass management of this receiver quite extensively.

T

tlmacaddino

Audiophyte
petermwilson said:
Hi,
My experience in Canada is that both marketing and/or tech help are spread pretty thin, but they have always gotten back to me. Perhaps the Holiday season has created a backlog!!

My Denon (upgraded 5800) does not have the (every seat is a good seat) type of programming but I was wondering if your happy with the results of a 90 crossover.

You seem to have very good main speakers. My Totem Model 1 sigs are pretty revealing also and I want to hear as much of them as possible so even though they are not phsically large (neither is my room) I've set them to large and crossed them at 40. My goal is to hear more music or movie from my speakers and Let my DefTech Super cube II just do the boom boom.

Your room, of course, dictates may things. BTW, I cleared the crossover with Totem (in fact they suggested it) an am very pleased with the results.

The fact that your using two subs and crossing them at 90 sort of jumped out at me. Sorry if this sounds out of line.

Peter M.
Just a clarification: only my 4 surrounds are crossed over at 90Hz; I believe the 3 fronts are running full range (exclusive of the .1 LFE signals which are directed only to the left and right subs per Gene's reply above).

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
It helped me on my Jamo based system to have the subwoofer volume turned down to about 25-33% when carrying out the room equalisation.

The amp seems to allow for this and boosts the output to the sub.

LarsH

Audiophyte
Can you help me with a Denon 5805 and Velodyne DD18....cannot get the sub to work through the reciever...have tried everything three four times...

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused-not an unusual situation.

A Google search on "5805 firmware" now leads to http://www.audioholics.com/cedia/cedia2004/Denon5805FirmwareUpdate.php
where it infers that the firmware updated amp will only work with an Escient FireBall system or a Windows Media computer. This is dated September 2005 and says that the upgrade would be available in October.

I'm pretty sure that the CES 2006 review (that I can't seem to find any more) did not mention these requirements, and mentioned a 2 stage upgrade costing up to $500, and available in March 2006.

Can someone clarify please?

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
L/R/LFE with 3 subs

Gene,

Didn't your review mention that there was going to be a follow-up article about using 3 subs with the 5805, configured as L/R/LFE? Did that ever happen? thanks

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,

Didn't your review mention that there was going to be a follow-up article about using 3 subs with the 5805, configured as L/R/LFE? Did that ever happen? thanks
Denon just sent me another firmware update to do full Audyssey testing, among other things. We are in the process of getting our new soundlab up and running where the 5805 will serve as the center piece. I should have some test results by next month on this.

T

The Doc

Enthusiast
5805 problems fixed yet?

have most of the major problems with this reciever been fixed yet? Ive been interested in buying the 5805 or the 4806 but id rather choose the 4806 if the other one is still having problems

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
Denon 5805 parts - no longer supported - HELP!!!!!

I have a Denon 5805 that's not under warranty. I took it in to the Tweeter repair center after I stupidly shorted it out by not being careful enough in the back. Apparently Denon parts for this receiver comes from Herman Electronics, who no longer supplies the parts. After two months of waiting, these guys told me they didn't have anywhere else to go to get the part and to not expect any response from Denon if the product is out of warranty.

I need four resistors (#333 in the 5805 - part number 2432096017). Can anyone help me with ideas on how to get the receiver fixed?

J

johnuustal

Enthusiast
lfe channel

i was thinking of using the denon with 2 subs in a system with 5 thiel powerpoints. thiel has a special crossover device for the powerpoints and the thiel sub, which i was going to use for all the bass in the 5 main channels and i was going to use a different sub for the lfe. so my question is with the 5805, can i run the full 5 channel signal to the speakers (and let the thiel device handle the crossover) and also send the entire lfe to the other sub, without any crossover for the lfe? it seems from gene's review that this is possible, but he also mentions there is a seperate lfe crossover, which means that i dont really understand what the lfe is. if its a seperate track, why do we need a crossover? why doesnt the sub just play what's on the lfe? anyway, and advice on any of this? anyone use the 5805 with thiels?

thanks

Last edited:
D

DavidA

Enthusiast
I wonder if a 5805 owner could help me out with a problem.

I actually own the UK equivalent of the 5805 (AVC-A1XV), and have just bought a Panasonic 50" HD plasma to go with it-replacing a 42".

The problem is that if I set video scaling on the amp to anything other than the base level of 480i, then all I get is a pinkish blank screen-not even the OSD appears.

Inputs are a 3910 via Dlink, a couple of sat boxes (one composite and one component), and a PVR with component input.

I've set all the scaling to AUTO (except the dvd, which is off), and set up the component video inputs as appropriate.

Our local Denon dealer does not have a trained installer (I llive in Dubai) that knows any more than I do. Maybe he should visit this site!

Obviously the eventual plan is to be able to upscale everything to 720p via hdmi when the promised firmware upgrade appears here-which I'm told won't be for at least 6 months.

Am I being either stupid (and doing something wrong); overly optimistic (by expecting more than the amp will actually do), or is there a problem with the equipment?

I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
AVR 5805 and Speakercraft Starlet 9's

I have some in-wall Speakercraft Starlet 9's hooked up to my AVR 5805. These speakers require bi-amping, one amp for ribbon tweeters, one for woofers for each channel.

Here's what the Speakercraft website says "Bi-amplified design requires 2 channels of amplification for each speaker; 4 channels total for the pair. Channels must have gain adjustments, such as SpeakerCraft BB2125 or BB275."

Rather than buy the BB2125's (they have manual gain adjustment), can I use the extra channels on the 5805? I can see how to bi-amp the front speakers on the amp, just can't figure out how to change the gain. I'd like to avoid having to buy the extra amps.

Also, if I don't calibrate the Starlet speakers as specified by Speakercraft - I just bi-amp them with the 5805, how much of a difference will it make in the sound?

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
You should be able to adjust the channel level in your setup menu. As for calibrating, I would do it. This will ensure linear sound. How to do it, I'm not sure, as I don't know what Speakercraft specifies for its speakers.

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
MultiZone 5805 - Can't get it to work!

I am having a problem with hearing sound in Zone 2; can get Video from source, but not sound.... In my current setup, I have Zone 2 preouts going to a stereo amp that drives the speakers in Zone 2. I have a variety of sources; analog, optical and coax. The only way I can get it to work is to switch to DVD Source in Zone 2, then switch back to TV. Both DVD and TV have coax audio ONLY.

I have scoured the manual, but can't find any hints to what is going on. One more thing, mine is one of the first ones made; S/N 0014! I have updated the Audyessey software, but that did not seem to fix this problem.

Can anyone experienced with successfully getting this to work, please email me at christaplin@comcast.net?

Thanks a bunch guys! The multi-zone features of this beast is really what caused me to buy it...so disappointed for sure...

Last edited:
I

ivoimg

Audioholic Intern
jaxvon said:
You should be able to adjust the channel level in your setup menu. As for calibrating, I would do it. This will ensure linear sound. How to do it, I'm not sure, as I don't know what Speakercraft specifies for its speakers.
In the setup menu to assign an amp to a speaker you have to specify it as FL or FR. Two amps are assigned to each. It's not clear to me how to calibrate each amp assigned to FL or FR. The Speakercraft tool for calibratition is as follows: SCT-1.0

Starlet Calibration Tools

Useful tools, but not necessary, for setting up the Starlet 6 and Starlet 9. The Starlet 6 and Starlet 9 each have a separate input for tweeters and woofers, and require a channel of audio for each. These tools help correctly match the levels between the tweeter and woofer.

Complete Kit Contains:

1 Analog Voltmeter with Leads
1 Test CD

R

RacerChris

Enthusiast
RacerChris said:
I am having a problem with hearing sound in Zone 2; can get Video from source, but not sound.... In my current setup, I have Zone 2 preouts going to a stereo amp that drives the speakers in Zone 2. I have a variety of sources; analog, optical and coax. The only way I can get it to work is to switch to DVD Source in Zone 2, then switch back to TV. Both DVD and TV have coax audio ONLY.

I have scoured the manual, but can't find any hints to what is going on. One more thing, mine is one of the first ones made; S/N 0014! I have updated the Audyessey software, but that did not seem to fix this problem.

Can anyone experienced with successfully getting this to work, please email me at christaplin@comcast.net?

Thanks a bunch guys! The multi-zone features of this beast is really what caused me to buy it...so disappointed for sure...
Is this thread being monitored? Can anyone help me with this?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Racer;

Did you connect your source to the zone2 via analog or digital? Check your OSD and make sure you properly assigned the input type.

I should have my 5805 up and running again in early April and along with a series of followup tests and articles for Audyssey, and upgrades to the 5805.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis