Official Denon AVR-5805 Review Support Thread

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi David,
I have an upgraded 5800 which comes with the ATKIS RC8000 and 8001 docking station. It has a USB input and (although I haven't done it myself) there was a code update dnld a couple of years ago. If you ave a 5805, I would think those codes are already loaded.

Regarding streaming A/V, the sound card on my PC has an Optical output for digital as well as analogs. I presently use Windows Media 9 as the player for my HDCD coded discs as Microsoft is a co-dveloper of that format and has incorporated it in WM9.

Since all the digital inputs on the Denon are assignable, I've chosen CD, OPT 2 for this connection. My PC is also connected to my HDTV through the video card for the video part.

From what I understand any Denon receiver with assignable inputs can be used in this way. If your PC does not have a digital output the L/R analogs can be input and also assigned.

My old PC sound card had an optical output but it was a minjack so I had to buy a minjack to standard opt cable, which at the time was almost as expensive as the sound card.

Anyway, the Remote for the Denon mentioned above does allow for dnldable code upgrades.

Peter M.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Peter,
My post may have been worded badly. I was referring to the LAN port upgrade, which should allow streaming media from the pc with control from the remote.

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi David,

Gottcha, and now that I understand what you meant, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

Peter M.

J

jkraus

Audiophyte
New Green and Willing!

Gene,

Thanks so much for the stunning review. I bought this because of you! Ok here's my setup, which is not setup but needs to be by friday.

Hardware
AVR - 5805 (back pain to go with it)
Sony CX?777ES Mega Super duper changer
Gateway 46" plasma
Hafler DH500 - Cant part with it!

FL&FR Speakercraft Starlet 9's In-Wall bi-amp (Invisible when painted Huge WAF!)
C (2) B&W CWM80 In-Wall
SL&SR - B&W CCM80 In-Celing
SBL&SBR B&W CWM65 In-Wall
Earthquake Supernova MK-V 15"

Questions?

A) Does the fact that I have 2 center channels matter for Amp assignment and Multi-EQ? Should I use Bi-Amp for this?

B) Speakercraft Starlets require gain modifications between Woofers and Tweets. I want to use the Hafler to drive the woofers and Denon to drive the tweets. Any comments?

Thanks all I love this forum!!!

S

SteveS

Audiophyte
How come Denon is always late i adding things like IEE94 or firewire to my Denon DVD-2900 when I first bought it?

And now with my lexicon DC-1 V4.0 I can get any hi-res sources to route through a digital conection OR an 8-channel analog connection.

You buy things to early, and are stuck with primordial technology

A

atria

Audiophyte
5805 & Hdmi

I now own a 5805 for a few months, however HDMI/DVI in/out seems inoperable. In other words, it would not display a video signal from a HD Tivo or a HD cable box. On the other hand the HDMI/DVI video signal out from these boxes is fine if connected directly to my TV. Needless to say one of the reasons I bought this had been to eliminate and simplify some wiring.
Any suggestions?

P

petermwilson

Audioholic
Hi,

I have an upgraded 5800 which hasa 50mhz video switching and although I don't use it for video switching, the component switching for HD viewing is excellent and will work fine.
The component outputs of the 5805 also scale 480i to 1080i so they may come in handy if you have vcrs or dvd players set to interlaced.

The Denon 5803 and 5805 provide for 100mhz video switching.
HD signals only need 27mhz so you have lots of headroom and if your display is ISF calibrated you probably will not notice the difference in PQ between DVI and component.

If you would like to save yourself some possible headaches, I would restrict HDMI connections to straight line for video and continue to use coax or opt for audio until the bugs get sorted out.

Peter M.

H

hjones4841

Enthusiast
5805 Hdmi

I have had my 5805 since late April and the HDMI/DVI switching works perfectly. Did you remember to set up the video inputs properly for HDMI/DVI? There is a separate setup submenu for HDMI/DVI input assignments.

M

MPK

Audiophyte
There is an issue with older devices using HDMI1.0, which only allows direct connection to a HDMI screen. In order to be able to use digital video switching, the sources need to be HDMI1.1 (which the 5805 is as well), otherwise the HDCP kicks in. Usually, this can be solved by upgrading the firmware. I had the same problem with a 3910 DVD player (which you would expect to work as it's both Denon) and a firmware upgrade fixed it.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Does anybody know if the firmware upgrades for HDMI and networking, due out at the end of summer, are anywhere close to release?

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
DavidA said:
Does anybody know if the firmware upgrades for HDMI and networking, due out at the end of summer, are anywhere close to release?
Haven't heard a word:rolleyes:
I guess Denon has other irons in the fire, although at the price of admission
($6K) one would think they'd try to get their flagship up to the level, HDMI switching wise, of their lesser units in a more timely manner:confused:

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
You certainly would think so. The prospect of these 2 upgrades was one of the reasons I went for the AV1 (as it is over here).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
For some reason Denon has gone into silent running and we can't get any answers out of them in a timely manner to say the least. We will try at CES in January however.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
For some reason Denon has gone into silent running and we can't get any answers out of them in a timely manner to say the least. We will try at CES in January however.
Great.... the people in the know don't even know:eek:
I guess we're in for a long upgrade waiting period.
Strange though, I bought the 5805 because it had everything, now it's already lacking some key features of much cheaper units and to top it off is getting zero support from Denon.... GREAT!

Last edited:
E

ex0tica

Audiophyte
Satisfied??

I was leaning towards gettin the 5805, and was wondering if owners are satisfied with there purchase. I know about the firmware upgrade problem, hoping that would be fixed before i buy. So aside from that are you happy with the product or would you reccomend something else.

Q

qnetjoe

Audiophyte
The 5805 will have to be sent in for a upgrade just like the 5803

I have been told that Denon is in the process of setting up a program for current 5805 owners to send in there 5805 to get a upgrade to the hdmi and component video boards to allow for hdmi upconverting/transcoding. The estimated cost is about $1,000. I do not know but am guessing that they will update the firmware after they replace those boards, that may allow for more use of the network functionality.

D

DavidA

Enthusiast
Having to disconnect my amp and send it to the only dealer in the country would be, shall we say, a nuisance.

No-on second thoughts let's say it would be bl**dy annoying!

Paying $1000 for the priviledge would just be the icing on the cake.

G

Geoh

Junior Audioholic
Yes I would also not be looking forward to sending my 5805 in for upgrading/service of any kind. But I'd be one of the first to do so:)

FYI...I see DenonJeff has posted on AVSforum regarding the Audyssey upgrade.

J

jconnell

Audiophyte
Bass Problem with 5805

For some reason, I can't get any good bass response from the 5805 nor can I get any output from the subwoofer preout. I've got to be doing somethign wrong but I've poured over the manual and can't figure out what it is. I'm using the SW preout to go to a Luxman M113 that is hooked up to some Aura probass shakers to no avail. I know the connections there work because it works fine if I hook it up to something else. My main speakers are Polk SDA SRS and they are set to large but the bass is nonexistent. Hooking them up to another receiver makes the bass problem go away. I just don't get it. Need help please!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis