Official CES 2006 Expo News and Coverage Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
BTW, why is it that Gene is either Mr.Serious, or growling at the camera? I have never seen just a plain old smile..
Try closing on a house days before CES, dealing with the builder to fix stuff the day you are leaving, and getting 3-4hrs of sleep/night at CES. I wonder how much smiling you will be doing ;)

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Well I have never been to CES. You could take me next time and we could see. :)

Theres one picture, you were holding the Velodyne inwall subwoofer driver, It looked like you were thinking about all channels driven tests :D (nudge nudge)

SheepStar

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
2005 Product of the Year Award Handouts at CES

We caught up with some of the manufacturers we awared 2005 POY at CES and here are some pics and commentary.

POY Handout at CES 2006

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Some Additional CES pics we don't have enough info to write articles on.

Check out the insides of a Pioneer Elite Receiver which I believe is a 72 or 74 series.

New Speakers from SVS. These were not quite ready for prime time as they were in the early stages of voicing the crossovers and tonal balance but they do look promising.

Here is the matching subwoofer. SVS claims they are working on a 14" cubic subwoofer to meet the demands of space conscious consumers. This would be a welcome product from SVS for sure.

Watch out XBOX 360 fans, Sony's Playstation 3 is just around the corner. Packed with Blu Ray, we are definately heading for some fierce HD DVD vs Blu Ray battles to come.

Me posing with the guard at the Paradigm booth hoping it would melt the ice between us.

It didn't go over to well so we fleed in the USS Enterprise at Warp 9.9!

But then we encountered the Borg Queen at Wolf 359 :eek:

and bribed her with some crepes to save the day :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
gene said:
Some Additional CES pics we don't have enough info to write articles on.
and bribed her with some crepes and saved the day :D

You mean you didn't do a taste test on these? You sure know how to torture us with this.:D

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Quick Question. This is the first year I have actually kept up with what was shown at CES. It looks like there was little to no HD DVD or Blue Ray models being shown. Does this mean that it is unlikely we will see many models released this year? I would have thought this would have dominated a major portion of the show if its "just around the cornor.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
gene said:
SVS claims they are working on a 14" cubic subwoofer to meet the demands of space conscious consumers. This would be a welcome product from SVS for sure.
*starts holding breath*

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It would be nice if TWC has as an option to lease the new Scientific Atlanta DVR/DVD player with Blu-ray by the end of the year. That would save several hundred dollars in Blu-ray equipment, as well as guarantee a replacement should something happen with the leased unit. My current SA 8300HD DVR is priceless, less the few lock ups every now and then. That's one heck of a product IMO.

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CEStechnology/ScientificAtlantaDVRDVDR.php

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
gene said:
But then we encountered the Borg Queen at Wolf 359 :eek:

.....Gene, is this the little woman?.....

Last edited:
K

Kevin Anderson

Audiophyte
Here is a picture from the Home Theater Cruise of Gene smiling with his wife (who can dance like no one I've ever seen) and beautiful daughter.

Great report on CES. Suzanne and I were there and ran into David Bott and others from the HT cruise but missed seeing you.

One point on the LED DLPs (which were one of my favorite new technologies). I too felt that the demos were so oversaturated as to create an artificial look to the image (but it sure matched the TI demo theme of "eye candy"), but the good news about a wider color gamut is that it should allow a good ISF calibrator (like myself ;) ) to pull in the primary colors so that they exactly match the NTSC and ATSC standards and thereby create a perfectly calibrated display device not only as to color temp but as to the exact x,y coordinates for primaries and secondaries. This is a big step forward that was previously only available on few (and very expensive) display devices.

Attachments

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Here is a picture from the Home Theater Cruise of Gene smiling with his wife (who can dance like no one I've ever seen) and beautiful daughter.
That was a good time. The dancing gene is in my wife's blood. Her whole family has the gift of dance. Me, I have two left feet, but hey i try :rolleyes:

W

westcott

Audioholic General
HD DVD and 1080p - When?

Dear Gene,

I was trying to find the answers to some questions when I ran across your interview again with Sage Schreiner in January about HD DVD in 1080p and native 1080p movie releases.

With the latest news of further HD DVD delays and no 1080p support, these questions seem even more relevant today.

Do you know any more on native 1080p content release dates, if ever?
Is there a list with these details anywhere?

I really liked the article and really addresses some key considerations before investing hard earned money. I also liked the response from Leslie Chard. He did not seem to like Mr. Schreiner's dancing, but I kind of appreciated his diplomatic two step. Keep up the good work and thanks!

http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CEStechnology/HDDVDCESinterview.php

http://www.audioholics.com/news/editorials/1080pHDDVDHDMIresponse.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis