A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
I have a 13x11 office that I work from home and use for listening to records. Also have a Panasonic 46” plasma 720p and still love the picture as long as I draw thick curtains in front of that big window (nice sound deadening!) As usual Black Friday allowed me some upgrades. I got a great deal on Elac Debut 2.0 6.5” floorstanding speakers, NVidia Shield TV, Echo Dot 3rd gen, and Denon AVRS740 which I’m running the Elacs at 6ohms. They sound amazing and I ran a few Dolby/Atmos demos knowing it wasn’t the correct setup, but to see what it had and what it was lacking. I think I could get away without a Center channel due to only 4 feet being between the speakers. I don’t feel I need a sub for now. These speakers sound amazing and are a different animal compared to my Polk Signature series. These seem very bright. The viewing area is 7 feet from the speakers and 8 feet from the screen.

https://www.best-buy.com/site/elac-debut-2-0-dual-6-1-2-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-each-black/6198600.p?skuId=6198600

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/denon-avr-1155w-7-2-ch-hi-res-with-heos-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-compatible-a-v-home-theater-receiver-black/6210105.p?skuId=6210105

I would like this to be a back up room to play PS4, watch movies, music, etc., for when my wife etc is hogging the main room.

I only have budget left for another set of speakers until next Black Friday or similar sale prices. Should I get the center channel or the Atmos modules? I have a pair of Polks I can use for the rear surrounds temporarily. Thanks guys!

Atmos modules:
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elac-debut-2-0-4-2-way-dolby-atmos-speaker-pair-black/6199209.p?skuId=6199209

Center speaker
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elac-debut-2-0-dual-6-1-2-2-way-center-channel-speaker-black-ash/6198595.p?skuId=6198595

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Room pics
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Nice setup. Run your avr at the 8ohm setting as all your doing is limiting the amps. Also it maybe hard with the desk, but I'd try the move the towers further apart if possible.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Nice setup. Run your avr at the 8ohm setting as all your doing is limiting the amps. Also it maybe hard with the desk, but I'd try the move the towers further apart if possible.
Thank you, that was something I was trying to figure out, I’ll set it at 8 ohms. I can move my desk over another 2 inches and move the left speaker another foot towards the door. Will that work? I imagine I’ll just have to rerun Audyssey.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you, that was something I was trying to figure out, I’ll set it at 8 ohms. I can move my desk over another 2 inches and move the left speaker another foot towards the door. Will that work? I imagine I’ll just have to rerun Audyssey.

Any little will help. You want to try to achieve an equilateral triangle between them and your main seat.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Any little will help. You want to try to achieve an equilateral triangle between them and your main seat.
I was able to move the speakers another 2” apart on each side.
I decided on going with the center channel, being timbre matched and an important speaker. Also going to have to stand the center channel vertical which shouldn’t be a bad thing. It will be about 4” off center laying it flat. I’ve read that vertical or using the same speaker as your left or right can perform better than horizontal center channels. We shall see. This puppy is 23.5”L x 7.5” H x 10.5” W.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/elac-debut-2-0-dual-6-1-2-2-way-center-channel-speaker-black-ash/6198595.p?skuId=6198595

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I’ve read that vertical or using the same speaker as your left or right can perform better than horizontal center channels. We shall see.
3 identical vertical speakers=Best. I will fight the man who says otherwise! (unless he is bigger than me) :p

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
3 identical vertical speakers=Best. I will fight the man who says otherwise! (unless he is bigger than me) :p
Awesome! I guess this will be the next best thing. The center speaker is the same width and length, just not as tall as the tower. Just missing an extra 6.5” woofer and a port.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Center channel got here today. The towers have broken in nicely. Smooth bass and great imaging with music and movies.
At first I wasn’t keen on the center channel but knew it needed a little break in. Now I think think it sounds amazing.
I have a little time to decide on the rear and Atmos channel. But for now I’ll enjoy 3.0 sound and I have no plans for a sub for now. Plenty of bass for my ears. I’m sure I’m missing some but his will do for now.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
Break in is a myth, but Im sure someone from this worthless forum will have something to say about that.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Break in is a myth, but Im sure someone from this worthless forum will have something to say about that.
Could it have been a “cold” speaker needing defrosting? I can see how breakin/loosening up of the speaker materials makes sense, or my perception of the sound needed to change. Idk.

A

aqualung

Junior Audioholic
Built a stand yesterday in the cold garage, but a hot mug of coffee cured that. Pretty happy with it. We will see how it sounds later. I actually enjoy these speakers in 3.0. Don’t laugh lol.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis