Off Topic: Would this work?

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I've been thinking about how to purchase components at cost. I guess one way would be to befriend a store owner but that would take too much time and effort.

What if I were to open my own store and sell only to &quot;me&quot;? Can anybody forsee any problems?

I doubt &quot;this&quot; store will sell more than $3000-4000/year

BTW: This will be a completely legit business venture, meaning I'll get my accountant to handle the store taxes.</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

<font color='#000000'>Buying at &quot;cost&quot; wouldn't likely save much if you only purchased a couple items. &nbsp;B&amp;M stores get good pricing by buying in quantity.

You don't mention, either, what you hope to buy. &nbsp;Many manufacturers allow only so many dealers in an area, and some require that you agree not to carry certain brands if you want to carry theirs. &nbsp;For example, a local dealer here was told he couldn't keep his authorized dealer status for B&amp;W speakers and keep his Monitor Audio line in the store (he could see them but not display them).

That may work with some brands (VMPS has many 'part time' dealers that work by appointment out of their homes- but I think you'd better impress Big B!), but I don't see many advantages to your scheme unless you can actually sell to someone besides yourself.</font>

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
<font color='#000000'>Dis;

Perhaps start your own audio website  

Seriously there is too much overhead and paper work in a store front for such a small venture to make it worth your while for your intended purpose. &nbsp;Rob is right on the money with his reasoning as well.

[edited: spelling]</font>

D

dis

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>Well I guess your both right, but 1 thing I do know is that there is a lot of markup on speakers which is what got me thinking about this in the first place.

Another reason was the fact that I went to a small audioshop and bought a NAD T742 for $900 taxes in (CDN) the dealer knocked off $130 in taxes just like that and probably still made a decent amount himself.

Another example was the pair of Paradigm Micro's I bought today...they wanted $290+tax for a pair of these including the wall brackets, I ended up paying $260 taxes in with the brackets included. The taxes here in Quebec are almost 15% so I saved $72 altogether.

So there must be a decent of amount of money to be saved.

For those curious about the pricing in US currency, http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi</font>

S

stiletto pat

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I don't want to cloud the waters too much, but obtaining the distribution rights to sell the equipment you might desire is not the easiest thing to accomplish. &nbsp;Most manufacturers will probably want you to demonstrate that you have adequate retail oriented facilities to support their line, and probably will have sales quotas that must be met in order to be able to sell their equipment. &nbsp;You would probably also have to place a minimum order to receive your first shipment, and that minimum order would likely force you to purchase far more equipment than you would want to purchase, with considerably more costs, than you would be willing to bear. &nbsp;Also, you would face legal issues with distribution agreements, and so on. &nbsp;Give it your best shot - if you get great lines, and want to save the rest of the Audioholics money on our purchases from you, please let us all know!!
</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis