Of Devs, Martys and other things that go Thump-Thump-Thump

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If it were me, I would make it simple and get a bunch of 15" sealed subs. The reason is they would be a lot easier to work with than gigantic ported enclosures. 18" drivers necessarily make the enclosure so heavy as well even in a sealed box. 15"s are the sweet spot; lots of output and low resonant frequency yet the boxes can be handled by a single person.

I would look into maybe getting four of these puppies. Stereo Integrity has the HST-15s as well, but those will weigh an absolute ton and you will need to build support braces just for the motor, so I would do your back a favor and skip the HSTs. You could drive a quad crew of those SQL drivers with a couple of these Crown amps and then make a DSP filter in the amp to shelf the mid-bass response until you get a flat response down to 15H in-room.

Alternately, this new Dayton driver looks like another good solution for chasing after low frequencies in a sealed 15" box.

One driver I have long had my eye on for a project like this is the Dayton RS HF 15". It won't move as much air as the other two but it is very linear and should give you a nice flat response in the appropriatly sized enclosure. It has beautifully low Le as well as a nice low Fs. It doesn't need a ton of power. A bunch of those in sealed enclosures placed around the room should net a nicely flat response. Power those with a rack of these amps.

One thing that would make your target response much easier to achieve in a system like this is something with Dirac's Bass Control software, which allows it to independently calibrate each sub for your overall target response. However, it's easy enough to do manually as well.
Shady is they're a way to shelf filter on those crowns? I own 2 of them the XTI 6002. Was originally going to use them on the theater room with my RBH passive subs but you can't set the filters pass 20 Hz.

No problem I thought just use a shelf filter like on the Behringer but they don't or I can't seem to find it. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is a story of a boy, who like many other boys, enjoys BASS.
And wants more of it.
i want moar! - MOAR cat | Meme Generator

(Still cursing @Pogre for triggering me.)
Curse You GIFs | Tenor
:p

Alas, I figured this would be a good place to detail the research I engage in and open a place to chat more about it. Ultimately, this will yield a build thread or two in the DIY Corner.

Now It's already come up that I have two capable subs in the Outlaw X-13s. And this is true. I want to make clear that these are fabulous subs and I am in no way displeased with what they give, now about 2.5yrs into my time with them. I am not firing these guys. If things work out through DIY, the X-13s will find a new home in the Great Room where a lowly 10" HTIB Sub previously sat in a corner. Perhaps these end up integrating well into a system I build, and I keep the X-13s and add to them...
At the end of the day, I am open to this adventure and will pursue what makes the most sense.

And I use that word, "sense," lightly... as any perusal of some peoples listening rooms or theaters will often reveal more subwoofer than wall. :eek:

My ultimate goal is to find a solution to reach a very strong 15Hz. I enjoy Pipe Organ and and some Manufactured Music that digs deep to the infrasonic range. Of course, my occasional HT will benefit strongly from this pursuit as well.

I will add to this as I can and gladly welcome discussion as I go forward!

Cheers!
Ohhhhhh this is going to be fun!!! Reserved!!!!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Shady is they're a way to shelf filter on those crowns? I own 2 of them the XTI 6002. Was originally going to use them on the theater room with my RBH passive subs but you can't set the filters pass 20 Hz.

No problem I thought just use a shelf filter like on the Behringer but they don't or I can't seem to find it. Unless I'm doing it wrong.
I don't know for sure that there is a way. I would have assumed similar flexibility to Behringer's DSP function. It's good that you checked instead of blindly taking my advice and buying!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis