Odd question about Speakers

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
I have been looking and haven't seen this really anywhere. I decided to put three Klipsch RP6000F towers as the fronts because I read so many things about matching speakers up front. I noticed an almost immediate difference in the whole quality of sound but in my space the towers were way too boomy and tinny at the same time. I've wanted to move on from Klipsch but I felt like I was onto something with the tower center. A local place had B&W 600 series on sale so I got 607 bookshelves for L/R, 606 for surrounds and rears and a 602 tower for a center. Sound is crystal clear and more immersive than almost anything else I have hear. My entire family has been blown away amd the tower center has made an incredible improvement in the overall quality of the whole set up. What I'm wondering is if you had to choose .....for home theater....a center tower and bookshelves what would it be to match. I know the B& W are just a starting point and there are better out there. Looking where to go when I upgrade for 90% movies and games. I rarely if ever listen to 2 channel music. Would love some recommendations. Thank you for your time

Attachments

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This may be the very first time I've seen a Tower at Center but Standmounts at L/R!

There are much better Speakers than B&W out there. As you discovered, the same is true for Klipsch.

I think, really, the big question will be how much you want to spend on the Front 3.

One friend here just built out a Bedroom 3.1 system with Heco Aurora Towers. He has also had an all- Klipsch RP8000F, JBL Studio 590, SVS Prime Tower set up in previous iterations of his HT (up front; other speakers around matched but were not all towers). None of those are exorbitantly expensive, but if you upgrade all around, it starts to add up. I think he is all RBH now in his main HT.

In the end it will come down to Budget and your Goals.

Things I would target:
3 matching Towers up front.
Possibly moving your Subs off the front wall to maximize performance in the room.

Matching Surrounds and Rears can be nice, but not as necessary. ( I enjoy some 5.1 audio content and have my 7-channels as matched as I can for that reason alone. My Atmos will not be matching Speakers.)

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
So the room is very weird shaped. The back wall is actually a hallway that leads to another room so I hung a sound proof curtain to help the acoustics. The side where I took the picture also has no back wall ..it leads to another room and the their is a stair case behind where the TV and fronts are so the Subs sound best there and I tried them all over but I may go with smaller ones in the future. I wouldn't want to spend more than $4000...thats absolute max..for all matching speakers and a tower. The problem is nicer towers can be about $2000 plus and then fronts sides and rears add up. I got the B& W because the tower was on clearance due to a tear in the fabric of the screen cover..very small...and a slight scratch on the back so I got it for $500 and the 606 were 400 a pair the 607 was 700 a pair so all told it was about $2000 for all the speakers. To go beyond B&W though I'll have to order online and I know I probably won't find as good a deal on the tower. Anyway I'm just looking for suggestions and always ways to improve. I know three towers is ideal but that corner makes them very boomy. The bookshelves are way easier to give some breathing room to unless it's a really shallow cabinet tower.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So now you get into the Value conversation. Not Cost=Value, but personal goals, personal values.

You are only really making lateral movements, especially if you want everything in your system to match up.

Dollar for dollar, if you want the best bang for your buck, watch everyday for JBL Studio 5s to go on sale again. Again, there will likely be better Speakers out there but you will be hard pressed to get anything that close at that price point.
Again, yes, there is much better gear than the B&W 600s, and even their 700 Series, but the your Budget and Goals are going to be key.

Frankly, based on what you are saying right now, I would seriously urge you to be patient and start just doing some research about what else you may like and start saving for it. Instead of looking at it as the flavor of the month or buying whole new kit every 2-3 years, you should start looking at making the investment for something you can keep and enjoy for 10+ years.

Again, You can do this incrementally, too... Start with your Front3. Move your best standmounts to surround, and so forth.
In another year, Upgrade the Surrounds and maybe Rears.
Depending on what your Subs are, determine how they are working in your room. Decide if they can be upgraded. (Good quality Subs can be expesive, but the investment in clean linear Bass is a very worthwhile investment.)

Just my 2¢

A

Azagoth1313

Enthusiast
I really appreciate that. Yes I want to get long term speakers. I knew Klipsch was just going to get me by on budget and B&W are definitely better how I use them but I know there are so much better out there. Focal have always impressed when I've heard them for example. I'm not in any hurry. I just know I want to get the ones I'll keep for awhile. I finally have time to get into this more. Subs I think I'm good on for awhile....they are SVS PB2000 pros and Eq to the room very well. I prefer Dynamics and Clarity in speakers for movies and gaming. Thanks again for all the advice.

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
I would get some good seated position measurements and dig out my old SPL meter. That room is the only issue you have.
You would be better off no matter the shape to add some type of mechanical sub/bass traps. (I use tunable tube traps).
That will fix the boom along with speaker placement. The higher frequencies are usually open flat surfaces that are untreated.
YOU have a room full of those. I would be using tube traps and mobile panels. Those goofy nooks and crannies is the only reason
for the SPL. It just gives me an idea of the collection points in the room. Several corners coming together will usually need
treatment, curtains or mobile panels. I really don't like the studio look AT ALL.

I'd spend my time on speaker placement, and my money on decoupling the speakers and room treatment first.

I have a shop sound system that I set up for around 1200.00. I was messing around and I posted the numbers
and where I spent my money on a forum 5-6 years ago. The equipment was OLD/new. I was proud of the fact
several of my picky a$$ buddies couldn't complain about a single thing in a back to back test against a reference
system at the other end of the shop. It was well over 80K. SR-1/Pass stereo system. One of the few speakers
I regret selling. SR-1.B with a ribbon mod on the top box.

I could tell a difference but I think more of it was in my head. The SR-1 can hold it's own anywhere you put it. One
of my favorite box speakers. But I was using some rebuilt Infinity RS4Bs that I paid 180.00 and they came with a
new surround kits. EBay special. They even paid the shipping. The Pass did have a lot better sub/bass with a CD source.
Not so much with a TT source and a rumble filter engaged. Close in reproduction. 35,000.00 vs 140.00 usd.

IT WAS THE ROOM, not the speakers. You can use panel exciters IF you take measurements and treat the room.
It's actually kind of fun with surround or multi channel panel exciters. They are for sound affects anyways. I
did a C45 that way 15 years ago.

Side note: I use two main speakers. I go by tonnage. About 400-500lb for each main. The other 1/2 ton is
for sub/bass reproduction. About a ton will do a real nice job. The older I get, a little more meat on the bone,
so to speak. By 75 I'll be up to a ton each on the mains. :cool: My kids want the speakers, wait till they have to
move um when I'm gone. I'll get even. Kids.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Idk… I think three books would be better so that TV can come down from the ceiling. I am definitely a tower guy, but for a few reasons that thing should come down. I know. The question wasn’t about the display, but ways to improve we’re mentioned above…

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This may be the very first time I've seen a Tower at Center but Standmounts at L/R!

There are much better Speakers than B&W out there. As you discovered, the same is true for Klipsch.

I think, really, the big question will be how much you want to spend on the Front 3.

One friend here just built out a Bedroom 3.1 system with Heco Aurora Towers. He has also had an all- Klipsch RP8000F, JBL Studio 590, SVS Prime Tower set up in previous iterations of his HT (up front; other speakers around matched but were not all towers). None of those are exorbitantly expensive, but if you upgrade all around, it starts to add up. I think he is all RBH now in his main HT.

In the end it will come down to Budget and your Goals.

Things I would target:
3 matching Towers up front.
Possibly moving your Subs off the front wall to maximize performance in the room.

Matching Surrounds and Rears can be nice, but not as necessary. ( I enjoy some 5.1 audio content and have my 7-channels as matched as I can for that reason alone. My Atmos will not be matching Speakers.)
Hi!!! If I'm the friend being referred to the 3.1 system was 3 monolith encore T6 towers not the Heco's. Although I am curios about those Hecos I may have to try them out in the future!

If not... well er I'm always thinking it's all about me. :D

The advice your getting from @ryanosaur is spot on Ill look back through this thread get an idea of your room and see if I have any suggestions I can add. Since I am a three towers and a tower as a center kind of guy

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So the room is very weird shaped. The back wall is actually a hallway that leads to another room so I hung a sound proof curtain to help the acoustics. The side where I took the picture also has no back wall ..it leads to another room and the their is a stair case behind where the TV and fronts are so the Subs sound best there and I tried them all over but I may go with smaller ones in the future. I wouldn't want to spend more than $4000...thats absolute max..for all matching speakers and a tower. The problem is nicer towers can be about $2000 plus and then fronts sides and rears add up. I got the B& W because the tower was on clearance due to a tear in the fabric of the screen cover..very small...and a slight scratch on the back so I got it for $500 and the 606 were 400 a pair the 607 was 700 a pair so all told it was about $2000 for all the speakers. To go beyond B&W though I'll have to order online and I know I probably won't find as good a deal on the tower. Anyway I'm just looking for suggestions and always ways to improve. I know three towers is ideal but that corner makes them very boomy. The bookshelves are way easier to give some breathing room to unless it's a really shallow cabinet tower.
Okay okay let's break some stuff down

Great call tower in the center it handles like 70% of the movie but the left and right pull pretty big too and panning you want the best dynamics across the front. It's the surrounds and rear surrounds that do less of the heavy lifting

I agree with Ryan that 3 towers in the front would be the way to go.

What reciever do you use you are definetly going to need to eq if you do 3 towers across the front towers close to the wall will need bass management. Trust me I had to do a lot of bass management in that bedroom setup

How high up is that TV? Need to know how much clearance you have under it

If you have 4k budget too do this and you already have great subs I'd do what Ryan said. Sell of the speakers you don't use. Add that to the 4k budget and get the best speakers for the front 3 you can. I already have the perfect speakers in mind on that budget and @shadyJ just reviewed them a couple weeks ago on this site

Then LATER add bookshelves from that line just use the ones you have for now.

In weird shaped rooms like yours I'm a big fan of putting the subs nearfield are you familiar with the concept?

I'll dig out my old pictures of my old setups and my bedroom setup later today to give you some ideas

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Idk… I think three books would be better so that TV can come down from the ceiling. I am definitely a tower guy, but for a few reasons that thing should come down. I know. The question wasn’t about the display, but ways to improve we’re mentioned above…
Oh you and your the TV must come down stuff! ;) :D I love higher mounting TVs. But I like TOWERS OF POWER!!!!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I really appreciate that. Yes I want to get long term speakers. I knew Klipsch was just going to get me by on budget and B&W are definitely better how I use them but I know there are so much better out there. Focal have always impressed when I've heard them for example. I'm not in any hurry. I just know I want to get the ones I'll keep for awhile. I finally have time to get into this more. Subs I think I'm good on for awhile....they are SVS PB2000 pros and Eq to the room very well. I prefer Dynamics and Clarity in speakers for movies and gaming. Thanks again for all the advice.
Is that a wall where the rear surround speakers are? If so I'd wager a guess your not using that space as a walk through. That's where I'd put the subs. Right there. Blasting straight nearfield into my couches.

Don't usually need to worry about room issues with nearfield placement you get tons of tactile
response and huge gobs of SPL and low end response. Plus you free up space for the towers to breathe

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
For your towers I'd go with the Arendal 1723 tower S or if you want to save space and want to lower the TV not deal with tower's in the corner I'd go with there 1723 THX monitors all day any day.

That is not a lateral move those are end game type of speakers

They will SMOKE your B&W's and they will hold they're own against speakers well past they're price point!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
They also have the THX monitors in there S series lineup which will more then be enough fir that room fit even better and get you even more in your budget!

O

OHMisback

Audioholic
In weird shaped rooms like yours I'm a big fan of putting the subs nearfield are you familiar with the concept?
The only way I've been able to get good sub/bass nearfield is in a huge warehouse. Otherwise 80hz and below is everywhere.
60-80hz UP is very directional. I use BASS columns just for that reason. They are directional and they throw a phantom speaker
if you set them up correctly. 80-300hz. 60-80hz and below is mono, BUT usually at least 2 bass tracks from the source. Left and right.
It's produced in stereo BUT We hear it in omni/mono below 60-80hz.

A lot of the the nearfield bass is 60hz and above, what you usually feel is the sub NOT being decoupled from the floor. It's almost close
enough to stay in time with the bass drivers. Almost LOL it's still out of time. You're still going to feel it before you hear it once the room
is loaded. I like all the speakers completely decoupled. Helps with the TT and the neighbors swimming pool. It keeps sloshing on my
tomato plants.

Hear through Headphones are pretty cool too. Everybody has a sweet spot if your setting on a sub.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have been looking and haven't seen this really anywhere. I decided to put three Klipsch RP6000F towers as the fronts because I read so many things about matching speakers up front. I noticed an almost immediate difference in the whole quality of sound but in my space the towers were way too boomy and tinny at the same time. I've wanted to move on from Klipsch but I felt like I was onto something with the tower center. A local place had B&W 600 series on sale so I got 607 bookshelves for L/R, 606 for surrounds and rears and a 602 tower for a center. Sound is crystal clear and more immersive than almost anything else I have hear. My entire family has been blown away amd the tower center has made an incredible improvement in the overall quality of the whole set up. What I'm wondering is if you had to choose .....for home theater....a center tower and bookshelves what would it be to match. I know the B& W are just a starting point and there are better out there. Looking where to go when I upgrade for 90% movies and games. I rarely if ever listen to 2 channel music. Would love some recommendations. Thank you for your time
My recommendation is that you should be happy that you have a system that sounds right to you and your family. You should continue to enjoy it and try to avoid the endless upgrade trap. It has no end unless you end it. By avoiding it you can get great entertainment and save some money for some other purpose.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
My recommendation is that you should be happy that you have a system that sounds right to you and your family. You should continue to enjoy it and try to avoid the endless upgrade trap. It has no end unless you end it. By avoiding it you can get great entertainment and save some money for some other purpose.
This is where I was coming from in asking about the differences between the two.

I agree.

I get if there is a technology you need to have... but short of that... upgrading now (especially considering the mess of chip shortage-covid-shipping-hdmi2.1 mess...) is a poor gamble.

But OP has a flagship AVR now, and part of me hopes he can make it work!

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I should mention that I practice what I preach. My home theater is more than a decade old. It is a 5.1 system with a 55" TV. It is supported by my home built 15" powered subwoofer. It sounds the same as it did from day one. It is completely satisfactory. Would something newer matter to me? Do I need a dozen surround speakers? I don't know. I haven't even bothered to think about it. When will I upgrade? The answer is when something breaks. I have been involved in audio all my life. I have 4 systems in my house (family room, bedroom, exercise room and office.) All of them perform well and well enough for me.

I understand high end audio. I was trapped in it for a long time. I spent a small fortune on audio gear and had equipment that performed very well. I've had everything from a 50 lb turntable to expensive tube amps and preamps. It was fun I guess but not very productive. It was definitely expensive. I just call for common sense. Liking audio gear is fine. I like it. But the endless upgrade path may well prove to be unsatisfactory over time. Use common sense.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis