Obscure Movies that Don't Suck

<font color='#008080'>OK, I'll start off...

Twin Warriors - Jet Li &amp; some other guy. AWESOME choreography and a great story (dubbed)

The Odyssey - with Armande Asante. One of my all-time favorites, though it's gotten bashed by critics as well... There's something about Greek mythology that's just fun to watch.</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Ok

I'll add few...

American Ninja, Labyrinth, Best Of The Best, Streets Of Fire, Flight Of The Navigator, Krull, Legend, RAD (hope it gets to DVD by miracle), The Land Of Faraway, The Wizard, Wolfen, and Encino Man

:)~
Bob</font>

Khellandros66

Khellandros66

Banned
<font color='#000000'>Hawke~

Krull is available on DVD courtesy of Sony/Columbia Tristar

I got it in my collection.

;)~

Bob</font>

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Movies that don't suck

Here are a few unknowns that linger in my collection:

Dagon. This is a Lovecraft adaption combining the stories 'Dagon' and 'Shadow over Innsmouth'. I've only seen this movie while under the influence of some kind of chemical or another and refuse to watch it otherwise. I'm afraid it will not be very good if I watch it sober and so-far its one the best horror films I've ever seen.

Gattaca. This is a sci-fi film that was largely ignored despite good critical review. The film centers around a "regular joe" who tries to make his way in a world run by genetically engineered super-men. Themes of soial class, destiny, personal achievement, and identity are the core themes of the film.

Donnie Darko. Another sci-fi movie. Even after watching this at least a dozen times I still haven't figured all of it out. Has something to do with time travel, God's plan for everything, and a six foot tall undead bunnyrabbit named Frank who prophesises the end of the world. Most remarkable for its excellant casting, and awesome sountrack (the film is set in 1988).

Shaolin Soccer. This i s a Chinese movie. before you watch it you must realise that in every country but America, soccer is the most followed sport (not american football). Once you've wrapped your noodle around that fact its easiy described as "Kung-Fu experts form a soccer team and battle the Evil team for the championship title". CGI wackiness and humor ensue.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Gattica was indeed a good movie. "Glengarry Glen Ross" was interesting,star-laden movie about a real estate firm.

One of my personal favorites is "let it ride",starring Richard Dreyfus.Funny.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Films of the Scottish director Bill Forsyth, especially "Local Hero", starring Peter Reigert and Burt Lancaster (big Texas oil company wants to obliterate quaint Highland fishing village for port/refinery project, but things are not as they seem...) and "Comfort and Joy" (Glasgow radio DJ becomes reluctant mediator between warring ice cream truck Mafiosi). Offbeat comedies with plenty of unexpected twists, sly recurring gags, and an understated weirdness that flirts with fantasy without going all Brigadoon on ye.

Favorite scene from "Local Hero": visiting Soviet fishing trawler captain (!) booming out a country song at the local ceilidh: "Eeefen de Lone Star State geets looohnn-sohme! Lohnn-sohme for-rr a Lone Star-rr man like meeee!"

Last edited:
G

GeorgeM

Audioholic
Obscure Movies That Don't Suck:

Tape . An 86 minute Independent film that is set entirely in a motel room. Some of you may easily relate to this type of situation you may have had with a friend from the past(not necessarily the exact drama depicted in the film, but probably variations thereof). The first 45 minutes consists of dialogue exchange between Ethan Hawk and Robert Leonard and Uma Thurman enters the picture for the remaining time. It's probably not for everyone :eek: but I've watched the DVD twice.

Obscure Movies That May Suck:

Gerry . This is a DVD that I saw on display a few months ago . I had heard nothing about it but on the cover I saw the names of Casey Affleck and Matt Damon. Good Will Hunting is among my favorites so I did not hesitate to buy Gerry based on my favorable impressions of that movie. But you know, after watching Gerry in its entirety once and partially the second time, I cannot really figure out (or have come to the conclusion) if it was a surrealistic masterpiece or if I'd been 'taken to the cleaners' for buying this DVD. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Has anyone else seen this one?

-GeorgeM

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
Boondock Saints is really good. Willem Defoe and Sean Patrick Flanery are the biggest stars. It's a cool movie. The irish brother's start killing off bad guys in the name of God. Defoe is a weird FBI agent that is tracking them. Defintitely worth renting.

Shinerman

S

SciBOB

Help finding a sci-fi movie title

From what I can recall, the movie I'm looking for strikes me as being from the early 60s. This is all foggy, but I remember a boy being given a rock by his father, which he would keep under his pillow, and it would cause him to dream of a world with two moons (or possibly suns). He grows up, and, through a forgotten sequence of events, actually goes to this world. There are these circular teleportation platforms that when stepped upon, transport you (in a puff of smoke) instantaneously. I believe this is how they escape back to Earth. Something about how an older scientist who drags his female assistant around as they flee from danger reminds me of the Quatermass movies, but I've recently seen all of those (I think), so it's not one of them. When I was a kid, this movie would often come on at a million-o'clock in the morning. Can anyone help?

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
Boondock Saints - Awesome!

Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai: Across the 8th Dimension - 1/2 SF spoof, 1/2 comic book. 100% fantastic. 13 years before Men In Black and 13 times as smart.

Tapeheads - Robbins and Cusack make fun of everything related to MTV culture. Also a great line-up of cameos. Stay for the credits to see who you missed. IMO, the best movie nobody's ever heard of.

Josie and the Pussycats - Don't kick me off the forums. I wrote it off based on the misleading advertising, and got "stuck" watching it. Much to my surprise, it's a black comedy/spoof not quite at the level of Guest/Shearer/McKean. Worth watching just for the opening boy-band musical number "Back Door Lover"

Bring It On - see "Josie"

House of Games - for the Glengarry Glen Ross fans another, earlier, wordy Mamet masterpiece.

that's all for now, prolly think of more later

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Warning: My ideas of 'good' are probably a bit skewed.... :-D

Modern Vampires - Movie about a vampire who wants to come back to his city where his fellow friend vampires reside -- but the big boss vampire has a grudge -- he ends up teaming up with a rogue female vampire to settle the score(s). (The scene with Kim Catrell(is that how it's spelled?) in the middle of the film with the gang in the bedroom scene is hilarious!)

Soldier - In the future, special force genetically engineered solilders are raised and trained from birth. A new, better version has been developed and the obsolete 'older models' are put on the backburner. But during an evalution/comparison one of the older models is mistakingly discarded after losing the competion. It is assumed he was dead. He awakens as he is being dumped on a garbage planet.......

-Chris

EDIT: I did not change any text, but I used the wrong symbols in place of paranthasees in the original post and the text did not appear. I just noticed...

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
djoxygen said:
Josie and the Pussycats - Don't kick me off the forums. I wrote it off based on the misleading advertising, and got "stuck" watching it.
Me, too. I just could not stop watching Rachel Leigh Cook......

Bring It On - see "Josie"
Me, too. I just could not stop watching Kursten Dunst.....

:-D

-Chris

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Soldier always gets a bum rap from the critics, but I really loved that one. I'm a fan of Kurt Russell, and I think it's a cool story. Some nice sound effects and an overall fine DVD. I also have "Modern Vampires", and I don't consider it a masterpiece, but it's good tongue-in-cheek fun (I'm a fan of Van Dien, too- he's made some great cheese).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis