NYC crying uncle on being Sanctuary City

jinjuku

jinjuku

Mayor Adam's held a press conference where the city is spending $9.8m / day on hosting illegal immigrants. Wants to bus migrants to somewhere else.

Interesting how he's solving the same problems, in some of the same ways, that he was happy to call others out on.

There estimated spend is $12 Billion through 2025.

Now something that I quasi agree with is a path to right to work but ultimately that suppresses wages for the poorest earners already here legally (Tyson, I believe, Foods processing plant ICE enforcement proved this to be a reality).

Convince me we don't have an illegal immigration problem. $12 Billion = 48 million underfed children would get three meals a day for a year.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
How does $250 feed a child 3 meals a day for a year? I need to figure out that food budget. I can't even feed my cat for a year on that amount of money.

jinjuku

jinjuku

How does $250 feed a child 3 meals a day for a year? I need to figure out that food budget. I can't even feed my cat for a year on that amount of money.
It's a number that been established by various governmental agencies on the matter. I would assume it calculates the purchasing power in bulk.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
My damn cat goes through that much just in treats !!
(and just try not giving him his treats every night)

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Mayor Adam's held a press conference where the city is spending $9.8m / day on hosting illegal immigrants. Wants to bus migrants to somewhere else.

Interesting how he's solving the same problems, in some of the same ways, that he was happy to call others out on.

Now something that I quasi agree with is a path to right to work but ultimately that suppresses wages for the poorest earners already here legally (Tyson, I believe, Foods processing plant ICE enforcement proved this to be a reality).

Convince me we don't have an illegal immigration problem. $12 Billion = 48 million underfed children would get three meals a day for a year.
I don't think anyone, even any of the recent presidents regardless of party, disagrees there's a problem. Everyone disagrees on the way to solve it. They seem to go for emotional, but nonrealistic or sustainable solutions. I guess it's easier to get votes by polarizing. There was the brute force build the wall at $20M/mile (~2k miles long, on top of that all the peripheral and ongoing costs) to which some cities took the humane response and said send them here. Both appealed to people on an emotional level. Neither seems to be a long-term solution.

Illegal Immigration is also not unique to the US. I was in Colombia last year and saw the issue with the Venezuelans. Which is affecting many south and central American countries. I just googled these about Colombia:

The US can learn a lot from Colombia about giving rights to undocumented immigrants | Brookings
What Comes Next Now that Colombia Has Taken a Hist.. | migrationpolicy.org

The Colombians were creating jobs for some of the Venezuelan's by having them do things like sorting recyclables. Of course, the educated and/or people with skills (including being multilingual for the tourist industry) are settling right in. At least they're trying a new experiment.

What is the answer to the problem? Preferably a zero cost oneo_O Speaking of cats, do we just not look in the box?

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Why is it that so many want to get in? Because we take care of them?
I'd posit that because there is so much disparity between us and their country in all ways, opportunity and safety.
And, by some standards, this is a Christian nation, so we don't turn our backs on them, mostly.
I wonder who wants to build a wall and close the gates.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
We absolutely do have an illegal immigration problem, and there is only one solution: make these people happy to stay where they are, instead of needing to come here for an opportunity at a better life.

This can be accomplished by encouraging (but not forcing) democratic ideals and increased foreign aid for improving local infrastructure and education on better practices to manage local resources. These things are not inexpensive, but it seems a better investment than spending tens of billions of dollars on new aircraft carriers (woefully obsolete in 2023).

In the meantime, the issue can be ethically mitigated by providing compassionate aid and comfort to those that seek it; unfortunately, this comes with a price tag, and there is only so much even the United States can do by itself.

highfigh

highfigh

People don't need three meals/day- it's the reason the US has such a bad obesity problem. Two meals that aren't as bad would be fine for adults, kids should be monitored for nutritional health but in this case, I have to wonder who'll do this for kids born in this country when nobody is doing it now.

All they need to do is enter legally. The US and all other countries already have a procedure. Where do the immigrants get $5K-10K to pay the coyotes to take them to the border, anyway? Obviously, not all pay this but it's obviously happening enough to make it a great way for those turds to make a helluva lot of money.

Are you referring to Mexicans/Central Americans, or people from all other countries entering through the Southern border? We really need to look at these people, too. Many coming from the middle East & Africa- not all are here to work. This isn't about race, it's about their intentions.

highfigh

highfigh

Why is it that so many want to get in? Because we take care of them?
I'd posit that because there is so much disparity between us and their country in all ways, opportunity and safety.
And, by some standards, this is a Christian nation, so we don't turn our backs on them, mostly.
I wonder who wants to build a wall and close the gates.
Why doesn't the rest of the world pressure their countries to do more for the people?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So do we remember this speech, so what the heck changed with all the democrats behind Bill Clinton. Today, NO, illegals are good. What a screwed up Flip Flop Congress we have. :

Last edited:
jinjuku

jinjuku

Are you referring to Mexicans/Central Americans, or people from all other countries entering through the Southern border?
I'm referring to the $12 billion that Mayor Adam's referred to. I guess your question is best sent to his office.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis