B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Any input from those who have this product as a streaming device is appreciated. Also, has anyone played PC games through this device? How well does this feature work?

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
As a streaming only device, the Shield is overkill. For services like Netflix, Hulu, etc where you are watching transcoded streams something like a Fire TV or Roku should suffice. I stick with the Shield because I stream UHD files at original quality over my network. Also I run a fairly processor intensive Kodi installation.

Way back when, I tried out the GeForce Now gaming just for kicks. It worked well enough, but I'm not a gamer so I don't use that feature at all.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
Also worth noting, a new version of the Shield is in development and will likely be released in a few months.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I don't own one, but I spoke with someone who uses it for gaming who absolutely loves it and is blown away by how well it performs with all his games. I guess virtualized through another PC somehow. He said it was really amazing.

All reports are that it is the best streaming device on the market as well.

Biggest complaint seems to be the lack of a standard infrared sensor on it for good universal remote control codes. A shame IMO that it got removed from the current Shield.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I got one so that I could use it to stream games from my PC to the home theater. Both the shield and my PC are hard-wired to my router and it works fantastically for games. Couldn't be happier about it

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Id say it would depend on what kind of games you play and how hardcore you are, when I played battlefield I would have never put anything between my pc lag kills, I played with a clan and I use to die without even seeing who killed me because of lag, but for casual gaming id imagine it would be ok.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
It works very well for game streaming, but it turns down the quality for me. I haven't tested in a while, but (game depending) it works VERY well. I played Batman Arkham Asylum all the way through using my Shield for Game Streaming. No issues there.

I tried playing Battlefield 5 and it turned down the quality too much. Plus, I'm not a fan of FPS using a controller anyway.

As for being "overkill" for a streaming device, yes, but if you have high quality local video and want audio to play back bit-streamed without being decoded or downgraded to losless, then it's one of your only choices.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
It works very well for game streaming, but it turns down the quality for me. I haven't tested in a while, but (game depending) it works VERY well. I played Batman Arkham Asylum all the way through using my Shield for Game Streaming. No issues there.

I tried playing Battlefield 5 and it turned down the quality too much. Plus, I'm not a fan of FPS using a controller anyway.

As for being "overkill" for a streaming device, yes, but if you have high quality local video and want audio to play back bit-streamed without being decoded or downgraded to losless, then it's one of your only choices.
I was playing with keyboard an mouse setting maxed out of course that was when I had my watercooled computer overclocked to 4.8 an dual video cards overclocked running 4 10000 rpm velocirapter hard drives runing in a raid 0. Now i just play ps4 my neck is messed up any time on a computer an ill be in server pain but still have the pc in storage. It was more the socalizeing than really playing even though I played 5 or 6 hours a day I was in a clan team ram rod T.R.R. I was pretty good. Played every battlefield all the way up till battlefield 4 quit right when 5 was going to come out

Last edited:
B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I played in clans back in the day. Ghost Recon and Rainbow 6 Vegas. Played on XBox Live. It was a lot of fun.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I was playing with keyboard an mouse setting maxed out of course that was when I had my watercooled computer overclocked to 4.8 an dual video cards overclocked running 4 10000 rpm velocirapter hard drives runing in a raid 0. Now i just play ps4 my neck is messed up any time on a computer an ill be in server pain but still have the pc in storage. It was more the socalizeing than really playing even though I played 5 or 6 hours a day I was in a clan team ram rod T.R.R. I was pretty good. Played every battlefield all the way up till battlefield 4 quit right when 5 was going to come out
Nice rig. I remember the days of raid0 high rpm drives. Really glad for my crazy fast m.2 ssd.

Granted, I do plan at some point to hook up a keyboard and mouse to see how that goes with the shield. Will at least be an interesting experience.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

I noticed it would turn things down that didn't need to be turned down if I left it on auto settings. I just put it where I want it now and let it rip.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I noticed it would turn things down that didn't need to be turned down if I left it on auto settings. I just put it where I want it now and let it rip.
I need to do that. Haven't messed with it much, but my monitor, projector, and TVs are all different resolutions so I left it on auto.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I bought the Nvidia Shield and love it. The gaming runs very smoothly.

I do have an issue trying to get my Harmony Remote to work and haven’t found a lot of solutions on the Nvidia forums. Anyone have any experience with this?

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I bought the Nvidia Shield and love it. The gaming runs very smoothly.

I do have an issue trying to get my Harmony Remote to work and haven’t found a lot of solutions on the Nvidia forums. Anyone have any experience with this?
If you are using an IR only remote, check out Flirc. It's a programmable USB IR receiver. It's a bit clunky to integrate into the harmony setup but it will work.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I can program it to turn on and off, but the Harmony Remote automatically sets the controlling device in the activity to control my AVR. The only way I can control the Nvidia Shield with my Harmony Remote is to switch to that device which takes away volume control.

I am trying to figure out how to access those settings and so far the only thing I have found that I haven’t tried yet is to program Harmony online through my PC instead of through the app on my iPhone. That is my next step.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Gotcha, I get mine tomorrow so I'll let you know! What specifically should I watch out for?
Make sure that you connect to the Nvidia Shield through WiFi, not manually entering the Model number. It will appear as Nvidia Game Console. I think that is why my Harmony is defaulting to control my AVR because it doesn’t recognize the Nvidia as a Media Player... that is my latest theory anyway!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis