Nvidia Shield TV info

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you have slightly misunderstood me. My goal for possible j3455 system is to run same libreelec os I'm running now on atom and trying to get it right on s905x box.
In the end it's not much more than pure Kodi, which is 99% of what I need. Again gaming aspect is not a factor.
100% agreed on running Kodi on fire TV is a unnecessary pain and in general I'm not big fan of firetv GUI. I own 1st Gen Stick. No plans to expand than. Still it's quite useful to take with me then traveling .

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I've used Kodi to access local servers but never got into the deep weeds with it. I do like Plex a lot though. Just curious, is what you're trying to do similar to LibreELEC's mini-OS with Kodi?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've used Kodi to access local servers but never got into the deep weeds with it. I do like Plex a lot though. Just curious, is what you're trying to do similar to LibreELEC's mini-OS with Kodi?
When people go the route BSA is they normally want a Kodi only box that uses minimal hardware but still has a speedy interface and flawless playback.

I used to, but I use too many other apps so my ShieldTV is perfect for me. It would be overkill on price for someone that is just trying to get a good Kodi box.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the info it explains a lot and fits in with the reason for my curiosity, first that so many Kodi boxes are in the $80-125 range which surprised me that they were that expensive. Secondly I wanted to learn a little tiny bit (50,000ft view) about the various lightweight OS/Kodi ecosystems from a wonk like BSA or yourself. That's out of my area of expertise and as a reformed (retired) IT guy and I'm always eager to learn. I'll probably give LibreELEC/Kodi a try on my new DroidBOX just to see how well it works before I put that disaster out with the recycling.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes
When people go the route BSA is they normally want a Kodi only box that uses minimal hardware but still has a speedy interface and flawless playback.

I used to, but I use too many other apps so my ShieldTV is perfect for me. It would be overkill on price for someone that is just trying to get a good Kodi box.
Could not say it's better myself.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok, got an update. Since I correctly figured out this week would be slow at work, I took my Khadas vim to the office and started to play with it a bit more.
So first thing I've done is usb burning directly of win7 pc to kv. I used stock Android Nougat firmware recovery and it worked fine.
Second part I downloaded libreelec from here. Use Rufus to burn it with verify write enabled.
The trick here, and it's really crucial, is to download the correct "device tree" file, put it on root of SD card and RENAME it as described here:

Lastly I used "installtolocal" script (had to do it twice, but it did work the second time)
Idea is, that local 16gb eMMC nand is faster than any SD card, so speed of disk access is also important.
Tested few plugins, general gui and a bit of 10 bit H265 from here: http://jell.yfish.us

Pro Tip: You could add "http://jell.yfish.us/media" as video source to kodi to play these test videos directly.

Have to play more with it, but so far it seems just enough performance and features, while running latest Kodi (17.6 at the moment, 18 should be out soon).

Benefit of 8gb vs 16gb are marginal for me, but having AC wifi maybe crucial since this box wired network is only 100mbps, not an issue for any 1080p, but would be a problem for 4k

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
I really-really don't like Amazon's Fire TV's interface and Kodi is a pain on Fire TV.
Quick question: current generation AFTV's don't handle deinterlacing of OTA ATSC content well, so playback of some broadcast content results in deinterlacing 'banding' which is very noticeable -- especially for sporting events.

I assume this is not an issue with the Shield?

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Quick question: current generation AFTV's don't handle deinterlacing of OTA ATSC content well, so playback of some broadcast content results in deinterlacing 'banding' which is very noticeable -- especially for sporting events.

I assume this is not an issue with the Shield?
I'm probably not the one to ask because I don't watch OTA content via my Shield TV.

P

pwlong

Audioholic Intern
I'm probably not the one to ask because I don't watch OTA content via my Shield TV.
OK just thought I'd check. Maybe someone else has experience with OTA playback that they'd be willing to share.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm going on educated guess here, but afaik shield TV doesn't have built in OTA tuner like aftv does and likely the combing issue you have is likely to be function of tuner. Shield TV uses network stream to show ota content. Since I have never heard complains about homerun hd tuner boxes I'm guessing they are okay as far as video quality goes.
Shield TV actually supports OTA DVR functionality with Plex, but I heard it's still kinda beta and need more time to be polished. Also you'd want to get shield TV pro model for DVR to work better.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Shield TV actually supports OTA DVR functionality with Plex, but I heard it's still kinda beta and need more time to be polished. Also you'd want to get shield TV pro model for DVR to work better.
I don't use the DVR or server functions or know anything about the DVR function beyond rumors, but you can use the 16GB Shield with a USB 3.0 external hard drive.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't use the DVR or server functions or know anything about the DVR function beyond rumors, but you can use the 16GB Shield with a USB 3.0 external hard drive.
I've read somewhere, that this workaround doesn't always work as dvr recording only go on internal storage or something like that.
Anyways: Minor update: LibreElec/Kodi 17.6 and Khadas Vim so far work really well, plenty of fast then installed on local storage. One issue I was not able to resolve yet, is hdmi passthru doesn't work, I do get 7.1 pcm multichannel, but it's not ideal as I prefer to see "DTS-HD MA" on the AVR display.
Otherwise it plays everything thrown at it so far, even Jellyfish at 90mbps h265 10bit 1080p
@sholling, huge thanks. Got the box today. Hopefully could play a bit with it tomorrow.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I've read somewhere, that this workaround doesn't always work as dvr recording only go on internal storage or something like that.
Anyways: Minor update: LibreElec/Kodi 17.6 and Khadas Vim so far work really well, plenty of fast then installed on local storage. One issue I was not able to resolve yet, is hdmi passthru doesn't work, I do get 7.1 pcm multichannel, but it's not ideal as I prefer to see "DTS-HD MA" on the AVR display.
Otherwise it plays everything thrown at it so far, even Jellyfish at 90mbps h265 10bit 1080p
@sholling, huge thanks. Got the box today. Hopefully could play a bit with it tomorrow.
So I've figured out HD audio passthrough issue. Turns out it was dumb user error. There is a setting which specifically disables it - "Sync Playback to display" - btw: this is not related to change TV refresh rate to match movie (aimed to smooth video)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307165

Official Plex Kodi plugin is now free. Yes - it's looking pretty and matches well to regular Plex web interface, but tbh it's not really well optimized to run on limited hardware where GPU is aimed to do heavy lifting on anything graphical.
Probably going to try other Plex Plugins. I used both unofficial ones before, probably would go back to trusty PleXBMC.

TL.DR.: Official Plex Plugin for Kodi has slow gui on Khadas VIM box, but otherwise Kodi GUI itself is very fast.

@sholling I had played a bit with DroidPlex a bit and I might eventually switch to using it full for full remote and 1gig network, but now it's very close call. For now it would stay plan b) or second room device.
One thing to say 'about community based LibreElec build for my KV box is it auto-updates it's LE version on boot and it's absolutely seamless which is nice to have.
Not quite the case with more proprietary dual-boot Droidbox. I could probably re-write the internal storage to install regular LibreElec without dual boot, but I am guessing that some devices like BT, IR and Network may or may not work correctly. LE version shipped on Droid box is a bit behind, not much. It has Kodi 17.5 where is the latest Kodi is 17.6 which was released mid november '17.

I've finally managed to make the $50 box work as very good HTPC, but it took decent amount of IT work, reading and re-reading guides on forums. Fixing up some mistakes which I've done (like full internal storage reset - shouldn't have done that) Figuring out how EXACTLY build a custom bootable SD card for my specific device, which luckily it's could be considered it IS somewhat supported thanks to efforts of dev goes by forum name kszaq

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
P.S: FML: Someone from Staten Island is dumping all KV Pro boxes (same I've paid $58 plus 3 weeks shipping from china) for $22 w/free ship in us
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Khadas-Vim-Pro-Android-7-1-Amlogic-Smart-TV-BOX-2-16GB-Quad-Core-2WIFI-LED-NEW/311996941765?hash=item48a47785c5:g:KFkAAOSwZlZaQhor
He's almost ran out of his stock, one left (after me). Mine was without the remote :(

I just had to order one, even for just a remote (which I'll keep to myself).
I'll install LE and few plugins on it and gift it to someone.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I had played a bit with DroidPlex a bit and I might eventually switch to using it full for full remote and 1gig network, but now it's very close call. For now it would stay plan b) or second room device.
One thing to say 'about community based LibreElec build for my KV box is it auto-updates it's LE version on boot and it's absolutely seamless which is nice to have.
Not quite the case with more proprietary dual-boot Droidbox. I could probably re-write the internal storage to install regular LibreElec without dual boot, but I am guessing that some devices like BT, IR and Network may or may not work correctly. LE version shipped on Droid box is a bit behind, not much. It has Kodi 17.5 where is the latest Kodi is 17.6 which was released mid november '17.

I've finally managed to make the $50 box work as very good HTPC, but it took decent amount of IT work, reading and re-reading guides on forums. Fixing up some mistakes which I've done (like full internal storage reset - shouldn't have done that) Figuring out how EXACTLY build a custom bootable SD card for my specific device, which luckily it's could be considered it IS somewhat supported thanks to efforts of dev goes by forum name kszaq
I'm just happy that you're having fun with it. I can completely relate to your hobby, when I was still an IT guy I spent many happy hours researching trying various tweeks, although I never really had time to get bored.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm just happy that you're having fun with it. I can completely relate to your hobby, when I was still an IT guy I spent many happy hours researching trying various tweeks, although I never really had time to get bored.
I know where are you coming from and I agree that If I've just bought the shield tv, I'd probably be fine. more than fine actually. I barely got the time to mess with Khadas and it was at work during time between xmas and new year - the definition of quietest time of the year in most financial companies.

I'm really in awe of some of current deals I was able to find. My son using Amazon Fire TV 7" tablet which I bought for $30, another $7-10 for soft case 3rd party - you absolutely must have one.
Ones I've figured out a reliable way to get rid of horrible Amazon's software, including ads on every lock screen by installing 3rd party unsupported OS - back then I was older version of CyanogenMod - I was able to transform the lagging cheap tablet, to somewhat modern equivalent of a budget $100 tablet.

This htpc (now I was able to get one new from ebay for $22) is easily matches technical specs of new FireTV. It's priced at 70+15 for 10/100 wired network adapter= total is $90 with taxes.

FireTV should support HDR (not Dolby Vision) officially as well as Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime etc.. but Local playback options are more limited. Plex client is available from official amazon app store, but it's not free, another $5. Kodi could be sideloaded, but it's fully DIY land. No update and same lack of Audio codec support and pass-thru.
it doesn't support HD audio pass-thru, hell it doesn't support even regular DTS. So it's audio capabilities are very limited. Not sure if it's supports even 10 bit video (likely not)
new FireTV :
Content formats supported

Video: HDR-10. H.265, H.264, Audio: AAC-LC, AC3, eAC3 (Dolby Digital Plus), FLAC, MP3, PCM/Wave, Vorbis, Dolby Atmos (EC3_JOC), Photo: JPEG, PNG, GIF, BMP

For 905x boxes, see specs here (look for video path 3.4 and 3.5)
http://www.mediafire.com/file/5bpt054va5ut7v9/S905X_Datasheet_V0.3_20170314publicversion-Wesion.pdf

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I've figured out HD audio passthrough issue. Turns out it was dumb user error. There is a setting which specifically disables it - "Sync Playback to display" - btw: this is not related to change TV refresh rate to match movie (aimed to smooth video)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=307165

Official Plex Kodi plugin is now free. Yes - it's looking pretty and matches well to regular Plex web interface, but tbh it's not really well optimized to run on limited hardware where GPU is aimed to do heavy lifting on anything graphical.
Probably going to try other Plex Plugins. I used both unofficial ones before, probably would go back to trusty PleXBMC.

TL.DR.: Official Plex Plugin for Kodi has slow gui on Khadas VIM box, but otherwise Kodi GUI itself is very fast.

@sholling I had played a bit with DroidPlex a bit and I might eventually switch to using it full for full remote and 1gig network, but now it's very close call. For now it would stay plan b) or second room device.

If you haven't tried it yet the Plex Kodi Connect plugin for Kodi is much better than PleXBMC IMHO. It works with any skin since it takes over the Kodi library like the Emby plugin. Awesome if you don't use kodi to manage your library.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you haven't tried it yet the Plex Kodi Connect plugin for Kodi is much better than PleXBMC IMHO. It works with any skin since it takes over the Kodi library like the Emby plugin. Awesome if you don't use kodi to manage your library.
I have tried it for a bit, I am not huge fan of it's complexity thou and fact it completely overtakes Kodi libraries.
I guess, I'm just too used to PleXBMC. Biggest benefit for me in official Kodi/Plex add-on is easy support for friends Plex servers, so the official plugin is not going away for sure. PlexConnect supports it as well, but not as easy to switch. PleXBMC only support local plex server afaik.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Got it

In fact, their version of Netflix will not even display videos on my 1080P TV (black screen) and the Google Play Store version is not compatible. Basically, this vanilla Android TV box lacks even the most basic level of functionality that you’d expect from a phone or a $50 Amazon Fire 7 Android tablet or even a low-end Amazon Fire Stick.
That's odd, works perfectly here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis