Nvidia Shield Question

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I just bought one of these, am undecided if I'm going to keep it. I have a Fire Stick, older generation, I use for movies, and it plays fine through the receiver. Wanted to upgrade to see if I could get something a little faster, and this looked like a good option. I just hooked it up yesterday, and it only plays through the TV's speakers, not the receiver. I have it hooked to the back of my receiver and am using the ARC on the TV, works fine with everything else. What can I try to correct this?

Also, how do you add KODI to it exactly? If anyone knows...

Thanks!

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I just bought one of these, am undecided if I'm going to keep it. I have a Fire Stick, older generation, I use for movies, and it plays fine through the receiver. Wanted to upgrade to see if I could get something a little faster, and this looked like a good option. I just hooked it up yesterday, and it only plays through the TV's speakers, not the receiver. I have it hooked to the back of my receiver and am using the ARC on the TV, works fine with everything else. What can I try to correct this?

Also, how do you add KODI to it exactly? If anyone knows...

Thanks!
I will defer to the experts on the audio issue, as i assume it to be some hdmi setting on your receiver. Installing Kodi is easy, just use the playstore. You will see a massive performance bump coming from the fire stick, but if all you want to do is stream Netflix, the shield is overkill. If you want to make use of various Android apps (especially gaming), the shield is a must.

Kodi is best used as a front end to serve up your local media. It can be used for "other things" as well, but do that at your own discretion. I'd take a closer look on how you will really benefit from it before heading down that path. This is from a guy that uses Kodi extensively.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I will defer to the experts on the audio issue, as i assume it to be some hdmi setting on your receiver. Installing Kodi is easy, just use the playstore. You will see a massive performance bump coming from the fire stick, but if all you want to do is stream Netflix, the shield is overkill. If you want to make use of various Android apps (especially gaming), the shield is a must.

Kodi is best used as a front end to serve up your local media. It can be used for "other things" as well, but do that at your own discretion. I'd take a closer look on how you will really benefit from it before heading down that path. This is from a guy that uses Kodi extensively.
What do you mean exactly? I probably know what you mean but am not sure if I can type it on here. LOL. But "other things" I have it set up to do on the Fire Stick. Is that obtainable on the Shield as well? I like to watch lots of movies, enjoy that with the wife, but the FireStick seems to act crazy half the time. I was interested in the Fire Stick 4K, too, as a possibility.

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
With the shield, you can do everything that you could with any Amazon product and then some. It's like a firetv with the restrictions removed (e.g. it's simple to install Kodi). If you are looking for a cheaper product, you could also consider the xiaomi mi box.

For the past 4 years, the shield has been top dog in set top boxes. You can't go wrong with it, it's sometimes just overkill!

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Can you point me one more time, please, to the best way to install Google Chrome and Kodi on it exactly? I'm sorry to be a pain, just brand new to it and unsure how it works. I'll see if someone else on here will kindly instruct me on how to get it to play through my receiver. I assume yours plays through yours okay?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like your avr has hdmi audio out enabled for the tv or something. Or ARC is being it's usual troublesome self....

B

bigkrazy155

Audioholic
I'm not sure why you'd need chrome on a set top box, but I'm sure you could 'sideload' it with the apk file.

To install Kodi:
From the home screen, go to 'Apps' then Google Play Store. Then search for Kodi and click to install.

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
Beats me....but I'd love it to work. That's Step No. 1. I can figure out all the fun apps and stuff afterwards. Any good suggestions anybody?

I'm not sure why you'd need chrome on a set top box, but I'm sure you could 'sideload' it with the apk file.

To install Kodi:
From the home screen, go to 'Apps' then Google Play Store. Then search for Kodi and click to install.
t a D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Try disabling ARC/HDMI CEC to see if that changes things...

S

Steelers252006

Audioholic
I have my Xbox, Switch, DirectTV, and Fire Stick hooked directly into the receiver and to the TV through ARC, all work fine. I tried putting the Shield into HDMI ports that are working fine for these other devices, but I still get no volume through the receiver or speakers, only the TV itself.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Plug everything into the receiver. Then audio will come from the receiver.

No reason to have Chrome on the shield. You can mirror your phone to the shield to show anything that is displaying.

What specifically are you trying to accomplish with the shield outside of streaming?

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
if you have everything plugged into the receiver. Then the receiver should handle the sound for all your sources. Just curious as to why you have ARC turned on unless you are using some apps in your TV. If I understand ARC correctly, It's just for getting audio from the TV back to the receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have my Xbox, Switch, DirectTV, and Fire Stick hooked directly into the receiver and to the TV through ARC, all work fine. I tried putting the Shield into HDMI ports that are working fine for these other devices, but I still get no volume through the receiver or speakers, only the TV itself.
Steelers, you keep saying 'connected through ARC'. I think you need to understand what ARC is.

ARC is the audio return channel. It takes audio OUT of your TV that originates IN your TV and sends it back to the receiver. So, if all of your sources are connected to your AV receiver, then all your audio is originating in the receiver.

If you use a 'smart app' on your TV, like Netflix, then the audio would originate inside the TV and ARC would send that audio back to your A/V receiver.

The only time your receiver should pass audio on to the TV from a source connected directly to the receiver is if the receiver is powered off.

Plug the Shield into the receiver's HDMI 1 input. Start something with audio playing on the Shield (YouTube or something), then turn OFF the TV. The Shield should still play the audio through the speakers on the receiver.

If you plug your receiver into another input on your TV, then what happens?

Why are you plugged into the ARC input on the TV?

Does your TV lack a digital audio output that you could use instead?

Hi-Fi-Guy

Hi-Fi-Guy

Audioholic
So just to cover some basics, for myself more than others.

When you connect Nvidia shield to AVR HDMI input and then go from AVR HDMI output to TV, you will get audio from Nvidia shield processed by the AVR, but video will be processed by the Nvidia shield GPU cores? Or is AVR processing the video, too?

I want Nvidia shield video processing over the AVRs since it's the best in the game.

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but I'm not much of a tech educated, more of a hi-fi lover still learning.

Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I have 2 shields running in my house, one in the dedicated theater and the other in the living room setup. I had Kodi running on a Raspberry Pi for several years, but switched to Plex on the shields. The shield can run the Plex Server (with a USB drive), but my Plex server is on my QNAP NAS, so I just use the front end of Plex. I also have an HDHomerun as a backend tuner (hooked up to my rooftop antenna). Also stream Netflix and Amazon Prime through the shield.

Overall I am happy with the setup.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
When you connect Nvidia shield to AVR HDMI input and then go from AVR HDMI output to TV, you will get audio from Nvidia shield processed by the AVR, but video will be processed by the Nvidia shield GPU cores? Or is AVR processing the video, too?
The actual HD video stream gets processed and decoded by the Shield. The receiver may add an overlay for 'volume' or 'mute' or something like that. From what I've seen, this is transparent to the image these days and they just overlay their menu on top of the high quality video which is coming in.

So while AV receivers may add minimal additional processing at times it shouldn't impact image quality and this overlay of volume can sometimes be bypassed.

The whole reason you buy a Shield is for it to decode the video streams that come into it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis