Now this... is REDICULOUS

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
http://www.macclesfield-express.co.uk/news/s/207/207169_its_a_fiddle.html

This has me steaming. Now they aren't just going after CD rippers and Ipod users, but people testing musical instruments in a music store???!! What a load of rotten, stinky, rancid crap! I simply cannot believe that they are going this far. They charge by the square footage of the building!

In the UK, it's PRS, but here in the US, BMI and ASCAP are going after bluegrass jams. They say the organizers of those jams must pay exhorbitant royalties because people play "copyrighted" material! The River City Bluegrass festival in Portland, which I attended, was recently fined over $2,000. Some bluegrass festivals have a total budget of $2,000 for everything!! Paying $2,000 in royalties would literally eliminate 90% of the festivals in this state. Basically, it's $2,000+, or all public domain songs, songs that most bluegrass people are absolutely sick of!

I don't have words to describe how I feel about this. It is just so far out of line that I cannot imagine what kind of twisted person came up with this idea.

This issue is especially pertanent in the bluegrass world where even the big artists really don't mind people playing their songs. I have personally talked to big name artists like Rhonda Vincent, IIIrd Tyme Out, Ronnie Bowman, Del McCoury, and James King. Those are all some of the nicest people you could ever meet and none of them give a damn that people play their songs in jams. BMI and ASCAP seem to think they do.

Extending this ludicrous idea to music stores is... :eek: :mad: :confused: They ACUTALLY send people to music stores and jams to see if copyrighted songs are being played. How in the hell can they possible know all of the songs out there and which ones are copyrighted/public domain?

What do you think?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Wow! All I can say is wow!

What will they do next? Start arresting people humming in public bathrooms and showers? That'll be the day when I'll be sitting on my commode humming my favorite tune and have a copyright agent busting open the door of my stall and asking me to pay up $50 for humming that copyrighted tune. Yeah, that'll be the day.:mad:

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

That is the GHEYEST thing I have EVER HEARD.

Just one more reason to move to Canada.

SheepStar

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Sheep said:

That is the GHEYEST thing I have EVER HEARD.

Just one more reason to move to Canada.

SheepStar

One more reason to move to Canada?

What was the first reason?

Canada North

Canada North

Audioholic Intern
sjdgpt said:
One more reason to move to Canada?

What was the first reason?
Canada is no angel when it comes to the Music Publishers. Ever wonder why you don't hear Canadian music in Canadian retail stores? Canadian retailers were sideswiped by the Canadian Music Publishers who wanted to charge royalties for each Canadian song that played in there shop, even if it was CD(Ok I can understand this it is for Personal use) or Canadian Radio(Royalties already paid at the Radio Station).

Almost all Canadian retail stores now play american commercial free radio in the stores. It is very very sad considering how much talent we have in our music industry who will only get heard when they are played on American Radio.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
When I heard of this it struck me more as being unenforceable than anything else, though it is fairly daft.
Well they seem to be enforcing it, at least at bluegrass events...

MACCA350

MACCA350

Audioholic Chief
What the owner of the shop should do is send The Performing Rights Society a bill for advertising their songwriters and musicians:p

They've just showed how f***ed up in the head they really are, I guess they want us to stop 'whistling while we work' also:rolleyes:

cheers:)

Last time I checked BMI, ASCAP, et all had no enforcement agency... don't pay it. Turn it into a PR scandal and get it on the local news.

sdy284

sdy284

Audioholic
wow...this is amazingly retarded
and they wonder why CD sales are down

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis