Novice Question: Does my AVR provide enough power for my Klipsch RP 5.1 setup?

F

FROD

Audiophyte
Hello,

I finally graduated from a 2005 HTIB setup and I have purchased a 5.1 RP Klipsch system:
  • (2) RP8000F Towers 600w [Front]
  • (1) SPL-120 12” 300W [Subwoofer]
  • (1) RP 404C

[*](2) RP 600M [Bookshelf rears]
    [*]Powered by a Yamaha - RX-V6A 7.2-channel AV Receiver (RX-V6AB)

• 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven.
I have two questions:
Is this enough power for my setup or am I risking damaging my speakers?
If this is insufficient power for my setup which amp do you recommend?

Thank you for your time and insight.​

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's fine, damage to speakers more likely comes with abuse (so if it sounds bad turn it down). Klipsch, even though they overstate sensitivity compared to the norm (by using an "in-room" spec), they're still generally fairly sensitive speakers and do not require a lot of power to get quite loud. If you want to calculate out how it works try this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

F

FROD

Audiophyte
The Yamaha RX-V6A should power those Klipsch without issue.
I read a YouTube comment that said one should have at least 150w for these RP 8000F speakers. Note the Klipsch Spec sheet states: "POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK) 150/600".

At the store, a guy from the Magnolia center said it was fine as well.

Given this I joined this page and thought I’d ask you all in this forum.
My speakers arrive this week. I appreciate the advice and any additional comments.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hello,

I finally graduated from a 2005 HTIB setup and I have purchased a 5.1 RP Klipsch system:
  • (2) RP8000F Towers 600w [Front]
  • (1) SPL-120 12” 300W [Subwoofer]
  • (1) RP 404C

[*](2) RP 600M [Bookshelf rears]
    [*]Powered by a Yamaha - RX-V6A 7.2-channel AV Receiver (RX-V6AB)​
  • 100 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.06% THD, with 2 channels driven.

I have two questions:
Is this enough power for my setup or am I risking damaging my speakers?
If this is insufficient power for my setup which amp do you recommend?

Thank you for your time and insight.​
Re: Your first question: It depends on many things, instead of assuming, please use an online calculator such as the following:
Peak SPL Calculator (homestead.com)

If you have questions about this, or other calculator just let us know.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I read a YouTube comment that said one should have at least 150w for these RP 8000F speakers. Note the Klipsch Spec sheet states: "POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK) 150/600".

At the store, a guy from the Magnolia center said it was fine as well.
I agree with @lovinthehd and @mazersteven. Your Yamaha receiver has plenty of power to drive those Klipsch speakers.

Don't believe everything you read or hear on YouTube. And don't believe the store salesman, who stands to make more money by selling you more gear.

That Klipsch Spec sheet mentions power handling of 150 watts continuous and 600 watts peak. This doesn't mean you must drive them with amps rated as powerful. It does mean that those speakers can handle as much power as 150 watts continuously or 600 watts very briefly, without their becoming overheated to the point of damage and failure. You will be able to achieve comfortable listening levels with far less power.

F

FROD

Audiophyte
It's fine, damage to speakers more likely comes with abuse (so if it sounds bad turn it down). Klipsch, even though they overstate sensitivity compared to the norm (by using an "in-room" spec), they're still generally fairly sensitive speakers and do not require a lot of power to get quite loud. If you want to calculate out how it works try this spl calculator http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html
Ok I gave it a shot (Pasted Excel version below):
ENTER DATA
Efficiency
96 dB​
Speaker efficiency, at 1 Watt Input Power, measured at 1 meter
Power
100 W​
20.0 dBW​
Amplifier power, in Watts per channel
Distance
10.50 ft​
-10.2 dBW​
Distance, in feet, from front of speakers to listening area
Qty
2​
3.0 dBW​
Enter quantity of speakers (typically 2), assumed to be powered by the same watts per channel and same distance
Peak SPL
108.8 dB​
At listening position

The efficiency of my speakers are 96, 97, 98 (Bookshelves, Center, Tower respectively). I punched in the lowest efficiency figure. I am confused about the wattage; I put in 100 watts and 2 for Qty because I could only find the spec for two channels driven. I am not sure how that translates into all channels driven. Should I enter in 5?

Note: This will be in an open concept living room loft space. The space is 19ft X 11ft X 12ft (LWH). To the right (off the width) the space opens to a kitchen and hallway.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
108dB is super loud. Klipsch speakers are known to be very efficient and easy to drive.

Again I believe you'll have no issues

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
ENTER DATA
Efficiency
96 dB​
Power
100 W​
20.0 dBW​
Distance
10.50 ft​
-10.2 dBW​
Qty
2​
3.0 dBW​
Enter quantity of speakers (typically 2), assumed to be powered by the same watts per channel and same distance
Peak SPL
108.8 dB​
At listening position

The efficiency of my speakers are 96, 97, 98 (Bookshelves, Center, Tower respectively). I punched in the lowest efficiency figure. I am confused about the wattage; I put in 100 watts and 2 for Qty because I could only find the spec for two channels driven. I am not sure how that translates into all channels driven. Should I enter in 5?

Note: This will be in an open concept living room loft space. The space is 19ft X 11ft X 12ft (LWH). To the right (off the width) the space opens to a kitchen and hallway.
Well, Klipsch tends to overstate sensitivity, to compare to others you usually can lop off 4-5 dB off the Klipsch figure (Klipsch uses an in-room spec). The spec at two channels driven is fine, all channels driven is not a very useful spec (not likely that you'd have full demand in all channels simultaneously in any case). How loud do you think you listen? The volume of your room would more relate to the subwoofage, and that's a pretty good volume if you want to pressurize it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
ENTER DATA
Efficiency
96 dB​
Power
100 W​
20.0 dBW​
Distance
10.50 ft​
-10.2 dBW​
Qty
2​
3.0 dBW​
Peak SPL
108.8 dB​
At listening position

You did a good job using that calculator, but you are also lucky that James had measured the RP8000F so you can fine tune the calculated numbers for greater accuracy.

Also note the reviewer's comments on the power requirement of this speaker:

"The impedance minima occur at 160 Hz with 5.17 ohms, but the phase angle isn’t too severe. A more challenging point may be the port tuning frequency at 40 Hz which sees a 5.7-ohm impedance dip at a steep phase angle. That may be tough on feeble amplifiers if you crank them hard, but even an amp in a mid-range AVR should be able to handle these speakers without much of an issue. The use of a subwoofer here would make these speakers a much easier electrical load by alleviating the amplifier of having to power the port frequency range.

Klipsch RP-8000F Tower Speaker Measurements and Analysis | Audioholics

What helps to make the RP-8000F an easier load than man
y other speakers is its above average sensitivity. I measured its sensitivity as 92.1 dB for 2.83v at 1 meter."

Based on the actual measured sensitivity, that is 92.1 dB/2.83V/1m, and nominal impedance of 6 Ohms (this would be more realistic but a little on the conservative side):

With one speaker, you would need about 135 W to get 105 dB (THX reference level) from 10.5 ft, or 67.5 W with two speakers, assuming your speakers are placed 2 to 4 ft from a wall (room gain: about 3 dB)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis