Novice home theatre speaker question

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
Hi there. New to the forum and looking for some guidance. I have a 7.1 system set up with in wall and in ceiling Proficient Protege speakers. I had to remove my center channel speaker as we installed a built in unit, and now do not have enough room to place it above or below tv. Could I replace it with the Polk s35 center channel speaker? If not do you have any recommendations of a center channel speaker less than 5” in height that would work better with my existing speaker set up? I am an amateur when it comes to audio so figured I’d ask the experts

thanks!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You want your front L/C/R speakers to match either the same or from the same series for a seamless front sound stage.
If you can't then you can run Phantom Center and your L/R will handle center channel content.

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
You want your front L/C/R speakers to match either the same or from the same series for a seamless front sound stage.
If you can't then you can run Phantom Center and your L/R will handle center channel content.
that’s what I was worried about, I’ve read many different opinions on mixing L/C/R speakers.As the Proficient speakers don’t come small enough I have to use another brand. The other option I have is to put the existing center in the bulk head above the tv, but was worried it would be too high to perform properly. The bulk head starts approx 6ft from the ground.

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
The L/R used to be where the cabinets now are and the centre was where the fireplace is. We had a projector set up prior

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Are you keeping that screen or are you going to a traditional TV and where did you move your L/R. Is that what the cables coming out of the wall are for?

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
Are you keeping that screen or are you going to a traditional TV and where did you move your L/R. Is that what the cables coming out of the wall are for?
I’m getting rid of projector and screen and getting an 82” Samsung tv. Hard to make out but I put masking tape on where the four corners of the tv will be.

yes the cables are for L/R new speaker placement, and the Center cable comes up just on top of fireplace

p.s thanks for the quick replies and help with this

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

Which center channel do you have the 6.5 or the 5.25

I'm not a home theater installer but it seems to me the only choice you have is to mount the center channel above the TV and try and angle it down I know the Tweeter angles if you can angle the center channel to the listening position that would be ideal

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
it’s 5.25, and the tweeter can pivot, but the depth of the speakers most likely won’t fit into bulkhead with HVAC running through. Back at square one with having to get a different Center. Or I bite the bullet and get 3 new front speakers.....
Would be much easier to just buy a new center and have it sit on top of fireplace below tv. You’re dead set against that though right?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A mismatched center can work well enough, have a couple in use now and another one coming to play with. Maybe you notice it, maybe you don't. Or try the phantom first to see if it suffices. Don't think I'd go to the expense of in-wall without doing a matching set, tho. Overall I do like matched speakers all around but sometimes you just have to compromise.

You have any particular reason to pick the Polk brand?

I guess you figured out how to resize pics?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Even if you bought new speakers it seems to me like you'd be stuck in the same situation.
There are members and others that do run a different center channel. I'm just personally not a fan of doing that but that's just my opinion.
Home Theater is all about compromises

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Even if you bought new speakers it seems to me like you'd be stuck in the same situation.
There are members and others that do run a different center channel. I'm just personally not a fan of doing that but that's just my opinion.
Home Theater is all about compromises
Or just different choices in furniture commitments....I wouldn't want that cabinetry it has to be set in myself.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
How about one of these

R

Ryanp999

Audiophyte
How about one of these
Thanks to all for the input. I called Proficient and they advised to either surface mount a center on the bulk head or to install a in ceiling center above the tv in front of the bulkhead.
Appreciate the help guys

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
or to install a in ceiling center above the tv in front of the bulkhead.
Appreciate the help guys
I don't like that. If you were going to do L/C/R in-ceiling-yes. But in-walls L/R and in-ceiling center-no

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
You can do it with Triad.

Triad speakers within a series (Bronze, Silver, Gold etc) are designed to sound the same -- cabinet characteristics, driver placement, and crossovers are all adjusted to make each speaker sonically identical. So, for example, InRoom, InWall, OnWall, and even InCeiling speakers should match one another acoustically. Also, speakers within a series are all the same price.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis