Nordost threatens AIX's Mark Waldrep with legal action for exposing phony demo

A

andy_c

Audioholic
Nordost did an AXPONA demo of the "sound" of different power cords in a CD player. They played the same song on the player using progressively more expensive power cords. The songs were the same, but had different CD track numbers. These tracks became louder and louder as progressively more expensive power cords were used (but by fairly small amounts: about 1 dB).

A few days later, he received a legal "cease and desist" notice from Nordost's lawyers saying to delete the posts and post a retraction. That "retraction" is here.

The original blog posts aren't in the Wayback Machine, but I found them in the Google cache and saved them. I didn't want to post them here though, to avoid getting Audioholics in trouble.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Wow. I remember sitting through one of these power cable manufacturer's demos before a couple years back, I think it was Nordost. It was embarrassing for them, they switched power cables and expected everyone to hear the difference. I didn't sense any difference, obviously, and I don't know if they were switching tracks. If what Mark fond was true, Nordost is the one that should be in legal hot water. High-end audio is 90% fraud.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
C*&#ksuckers!
Calling snake-oil cable companies "C*&#ksuckers" is very disparaging against C*&#ksuckers. I think you owe the gay community an apology. Hell, if you called them devil worshipers or serial killers, that would disparaging against devil worshipers and serial killers. The only group that I can think of who are lower than snake oil cable salesmen are child molesters.

A

andy_c

Audioholic
Decades ago, I went to college to study EE, thinking it would be cool to work in the audio business. I am glad I didn't end up working in that business! It's analogous to getting a medical degree, then graduating and finding out that the majority of practicing physicians are using folk remedies, and the ones that aren't are pretending to, so they don't seem out of step with the norm.

I'd say there's lots of people worse than audio cable vendors though.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I do not disparage those audiophiles who can afford to buy such cables and believe they hear a difference. It's their money, their ears, their choice.

In my heart, I'm envious. With that same fistful of funds I could step up to much better speakers, a much better receiver (or pre-pro and amp), and do something about world hunger with the change.

There is however, a room reserved in hell for the charlatans who sell this stuff. I had called Nordost recently, they are headquartered less than 30 miles from me and I appreciate business trying to "make it in Mass." Having spoken on the phone with a really nice woman at Nordost about "what's the warranty on your product that I'm testing?", I felt for her. She, just like so many selling solar panels, extended warranties on a car I never owned, or setting appointments for home security systems,...simply knows not what her leaders are actually doing. She just needs to feed her kids. Sad.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Nordost did an AXPONA demo of the "sound" of different power cords in a CD player. They played the same song on the player using progressively more expensive power cords. The songs were the same, but had different CD track numbers. These tracks became louder and louder as progressively more expensive power cords were used (but by fairly small amounts: about 1 dB).

A few days later, he received a legal "cease and desist" notice from Nordost's lawyers saying to delete the posts and post a retraction. That "retraction" is here.

The original blog posts aren't in the Wayback Machine, but I found them in the Google cache and saved them. I didn't want to post them here though, to avoid getting Audioholics in trouble.
Can you pdf the post and send me via PM?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
It might be interesting to see what and how Nordost will present their npower cables at the next upcoming show. A hidden camera might do the trick to record track numbers and volume settings.
Or, perhaps asking the rep to change tracks without switching cables and see how he responds.
Or, take your own disc and ask them to demo it with different cables. ;)

jinjuku

jinjuku

Not surprised with the volume knob being tweaked. Expect future shows to hide the equipment stack and have someone behind the curtain make changes.

That's where it's going.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Not surprised with the volume knob being tweaked. Expect future shows to hide the equipment stack and have someone behind the curtain make changes.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Has Nordost made any sort of public statement disavowing any shenanigans?

A

andy_c

Audioholic
I'm not aware of any statement they've made. I'll bet people will be watching them closely on future demos though. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
....and I thought it was only Audioquest Mark had taken on. I bought something from him for that, guess I owe his site a visit for another purchase. Gotta support the good guys.

F*&k Nordost and anyone who buys or promotes their crap.

ShadyJ I don't know about your tastes but I think the biggest group of c*cks**k&rs disparaged aren't male....bless their hearts. ;)

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Have a look at their Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/NordostCables where Ethan posted today. Also some brief comments, the page also tells you where they're going to be having demos so those interested can attend and ask probing questions. Make sure you record it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis