B

BARK

Enthusiast
Can anyone explain what "b" stock means. Is buying a refurb unit a bad thing to do? do any receiver companys give a warranty when you buy over the net?

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
BARK said:
Can anyone explain what "b" stock means. Is buying a refurb unit a bad thing to do? do any receiver companys give a warranty when you buy over the net?
Sure,
B Stock describes items that are not brand new for one reason or another, i.e. ex-demo, ex-window, customer returns and ex-service. B Stock is normally priced at a minimum of 10% less than brand new stock, and often substantially less. Normally, B Stock is offered with some type of warranty, and is gone over by the manufacturer.

Last edited:
trevorgray

trevorgray

Audioholic Intern
Let me address the warranty issue with a strange answer - it depends. It depends on what type of receiver you are buying and whether the warranty is from the original manufacturer. For example, Denon and Yamaha state that they will only do warranty work if the unit was purchased from an authorized retailer or e-tailer.

Here they are for Yamaha and Denon.

http://www.usa.denon.com/dealers/dealers.asp?l=1
http://www.yamaha.com/yec/customer/dealer.aspx

If you are not purchasing from an authorized e-tailer and you want a warranty, they will usually sell you a MAC warranty. My findings have been that by the time they add in that cost as well as shipping, you could have bought the item brand new in an unopened box. Which is the way that I like my electronics. Also, you may want to consider if you have to return the item that you will probably be responsible for shipping at least one way.

I would highly recommend that you check the web site of the manufacturer of the product that you are considering. Also, if you further break down the price to the hours of use you are going to get from a product that the difference really isn't all that much. Furthermore, I have found that peace of mind is worth a lot. I looked long and hard on eBay and around the web for a good deal on my 2500 and ended up bargaining with a local retail shop and got them to come down between 15 and 20%.

If you have any other specifics then let me know and I hoped I helped a little.

In the case of some "high-end" products B-stock can mean absolutely nothing. It has been our observation that there are several companies whose business models include selling/offloading equipment to dealers to sell on Audiogon as "B-stock" products even though the products are new, shipped directly from the factory.

In this sense manufacturers can use that system to move products through their dealer network and make money... all while still maintaining the illusion that there are no "new" products being sold online or through "unauthorized" dealers. It's a neat trick and it protects the brick and mortar dealers.

Unless, of course, you think that somehow, coincidentally, people trade in hundreds of "weeks old" or "like new" high-end equipment every week to dealers who just happen to sell on Audiogon. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis