Noob With a $4K Budget Needs Help Selecting Speakers

D

DaddyPapaPappy

Enthusiast
Hiya All,

As the title suggests, I have a roughly $4K budget, I'm looking to get some great new speakers for my living room and well...I'm a noob.

My Space:

The room is roughly 11.5 Ft wide and 16.5 ft long. The on axis listening position is about 9 feet away from the Center speaker. I'm not too concerned about off-axis listening cause there is nowhere anyone can really sit that is above 20 degree off axis or so.

Sound I'm Looking For:

I'm new to all this so don't have any technical terms I can use but what I am looking for is something that can make me feel like I'm in the movie I'm watching, very enveloping, accurate sound. I'm going from Pioneer bookshelf speakers and tried out Fluance tower speakers. What I liked about the towers is they did make the movies feel more enveloping or large. I'm not sure if that is because it's a tower or just some other feature of the speaker I don't quite understand. I returned the Fluance to get something quite a bit better in terms of quality though.

I have it in my mind that tower speakers will get me the sound I'm looking for but I'm not too sure thats the case.

Where I'm At Today:

My AVR is a Sony STR-DN1080.

I purchased Arendal 1961 towers and center with a SVS-PB1000 sub. For me the sound just feels too teeny. It says to give the speakers 50 hours to break-in so maybe breaking them in will make a difference but I'm not feeling super confident. (Curious everyones take on that).

Next Steps:

Any opinions on what I should try? I was planning on trying out the Arendal 1723 S Monitors with the 1723 S Center. I'd try the 1723 S Tower speaker but it also seems on the smaller side to me and at least with the monitor I can lift it to ear level.

Also the Focal No 3 seem potentially interesting https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/focal-vestia but they don't seem to be released quite yet.

The Polk R700 seems okay but doesn't appear to be in stock anywhere.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
See if you can check out the new Martin Logan XT-F100 or XT-F200 at a Best Buy or other retailer. The F100's come in about the same price as the Focal Vestia 3 towers. I'd say either the Focals or the Martin Logans might be your top prospects.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hiya All,

As the title suggests, I have a roughly $4K budget, I'm looking to get some great new speakers for my living room and well...I'm a noob.

My Space:

The room is roughly 11.5 Ft wide and 16.5 ft long. The on axis listening position is about 9 feet away from the Center speaker. I'm not too concerned about off-axis listening cause there is nowhere anyone can really sit that is above 20 degree off axis or so.

Sound I'm Looking For:

I'm new to all this so don't have any technical terms I can use but what I am looking for is something that can make me feel like I'm in the movie I'm watching, very enveloping, accurate sound. I'm going from Pioneer bookshelf speakers and tried out Fluance tower speakers. What I liked about the towers is they did make the movies feel more enveloping or large. I'm not sure if that is because it's a tower or just some other feature of the speaker I don't quite understand. I returned the Fluance to get something quite a bit better in terms of quality though.

I have it in my mind that tower speakers will get me the sound I'm looking for but I'm not too sure thats the case.

Where I'm At Today:

I purchased Arendal 1961 towers and center with a SVS-PB1000 sub. For me the sound just feels too teeny. It says to give the speakers 50 hours to break-in so maybe breaking them in will make a difference but I'm not feeling super confident. (Curious everyones take on that).

Next Steps:

Any opinions on what I should try? I was planning on trying out the Arendal 1723 S Monitors with the 1723 S Center. I'd try the 1723 S Tower speaker but it also seems on the smaller side to me and at least with the monitor I can lift it to ear level.

Also the Focal No 3 seem potentially interesting https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/focal-vestia but they don't seem to be released quite yet.

I think what you are after is an enveloping sound. It's easier to get that from a wide dispersion loudspeaker, but you might be able to get that from your present 1961 Towers with some adjustment in placement.

Firstly, try angling them outward so that they are facing straight ahead instead of facing straight at your listening position. That will incur more sidewall reflections that may give you a greater sense of spaciousness, although at the cost of some precision in imaging.

Also, make sure the speakers are not placed too close to any surfaces like the sidewall or back wall. Speakers need a stand-off distance to breathe, and too many very early reflections can have a 'cupped' effect that can cause some honkiness and also degrades the soundstage.

Make sure that the bass doesn't have any severe dips or peaks in the response. You will need a measurement mic for this, but you have to measure the in-room response of the low frequencies. Remember that subwoofers only play deep bass, and most of the bass actually come from the loudspeakers. Adding another sub here can yield some big dividends when you have identified a room null. A good auto EQ system can really help address the bass response as well. Audyssey -if you can limit its correction to 500Hz and below- can be useful here, and Dirac is awesome, especially with the bass control module.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Break in is a myth. Based on the review here on AH, I do not believe the speakers are the problem. Setup and or configuration may need some looking into.

Have you run the calibration from the receiver? Do you know what your speaker settings are and if they are crossed properly to the sub? Is the sub's level set correctly?

Placement of the sub in a room like that will be important. AKA, NOT in the immediate corners. It isn't square, but it is small enough that bass could require some testing to find the best spot.

The speakers themselves likely require a few days of adjusting position relative to where you sit and then tweaking an inch or so or a few degrees until you dial in the sound you are looking for. It isn't difficult, and this is before calibration.

Given what you spent on the Arendals, I would consider upgrading the AVR to something that has a quality calibration software also.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Some speaker ideas that come to mind. JBL 698s, @Danzilla31 just got a pair and likes them a lot. Maybe Philharmonic BMR Towers or HT Towers. I'd follow ShadyJs setup suggestions for your Arendals first, tho. Maybe just some eq to get what you want.

D

DaddyPapaPappy

Enthusiast
I think what you are after is an enveloping sound. It's easier to get that from a wide dispersion loudspeaker, but you might be able to get that from your present 1961 Towers with some adjustment in placement.

Firstly, try angling them outward so that they are facing straight ahead instead of facing straight at your listening position. That will incur more sidewall reflections that may give you a greater sense of spaciousness, although at the cost of some precision in imaging.

Also, make sure the speakers are not placed too close to any surfaces like the sidewall or back wall. Speakers need a stand-off distance to breathe, and too many very early reflections can have a 'cupped' effect that can cause some honkiness and also degrades the soundstage.

Make sure that the bass doesn't have any severe dips or peaks in the response. You will need a measurement mic for this, but you have to measure the in-room response of the low frequencies. Remember that subwoofers only play deep bass, and most of the bass actually come from the loudspeakers. Adding another sub here can yield some big dividends when you have identified a room null. A good auto EQ system can really help address the bass response as well. Audyssey -if you can limit its correction to 500Hz and below- can be useful here, and Dirac is awesome, especially with the bass control module.
Alright, thanks all! So I did the Sony autocalibration already (I do it each time I switch speakers out). I always switch the speakers back to small and cross everything over at 80hz for the sub. I've not done any REW type stuff as that's a bit out of my depth for the moment. The sub settings (directly on the sub itself) I just have volume knob at the 12:00 o clock mark, crossover all the way to max (which on the SVS is called LFE). Also the sub is directly to the left of my entertainment console, it's pretty much the only intuitive place I could put it (unless I put it beside me on the couch).

I had the right speaker just 9 inches from the wall and moved it to be a foot away. The left speaker was already roughly a foot away. I'll turn them to not face me and instead straight on and see where that gets me!

Definitely curious about those Martin Logans and the Focals. I went ahead and bought the Arendal 1723 S Center and decided to get Arendal 1723 Towers. Another benefit of Arendal is that, at least in Washington state, they don't charge tax (which is 10% here). I'll see how they compare for me to the 1961s.

shadyJ, would you say the Arendal 1723 Towers (or any others you can think of) have a wide dispersion as you mentioned?

D

DaddyPapaPappy

Enthusiast
Also, outside of better autocalibration, is there any reason for me to upgrade my AVR to power these speakers I'm looking at? I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also, outside of better autocalibration, is there any reason for me to upgrade my AVR to power these speakers I'm looking at? I'd rather not have to if I can avoid it.
More room eq type options could be nice, Sony's DCAC being pretty much the least of the bunch. Pre-outs could be nice in case you want to have more capable amplification. That said, I'd still concentrate on speakers/subs for now.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Alright, thanks all! So I did the Sony autocalibration already (I do it each time I switch speakers out). I always switch the speakers back to small and cross everything over at 80hz for the sub. I've not done any REW type stuff as that's a bit out of my depth for the moment. The sub settings (directly on the sub itself) I just have volume knob at the 12:00 o clock mark, crossover all the way to max (which on the SVS is called LFE). Also the sub is directly to the left of my entertainment console, it's pretty much the only intuitive place I could put it (unless I put it beside me on the couch).

I had the right speaker just 9 inches from the wall and moved it to be a foot away. The left speaker was already roughly a foot away. I'll turn them to not face me and instead straight on and see where that gets me!

Definitely curious about those Martin Logans and the Focals. I went ahead and bought the Arendal 1723 S Center and decided to get Arendal 1723 Towers. Another benefit of Arendal is that, at least in Washington state, they don't charge tax (which is 10% here). I'll see how they compare for me to the 1961s.

shadyJ, would you say the Arendal 1723 Towers (or any others you can think of) have a wide dispersion as you mentioned?
Sony's auto EQ system will invariably be bad. Don't use it unless it can somehow be limited to bass frequency bands, and I don't think that it is capable of that. I just wouldn't use it.

The 1723 Towers will not have wider dispersion than your current speakers, in fact, it will not be as wide. Some speakers that would have wide dispersion are the Philharmonic HT Tower or the Philharmonic BMR Tower. Also look at the Revel Performa3 F206. You ought to give the JBL L100 Classic a look, that might have just the sound you are looking for. Also check out the Definitive Technology Demand D17 or Polk Legend L600. I wouldn't bother with the Focals or MartinLogans unless we see some solid measurements for them.

Outside of calibration, there isn't really a compelling reason to get another receiver, so long as your current one has enough dynamic range for your needs.

D

DaddyPapaPappy

Enthusiast
Alright, thanks shadyJ, so I'm looking at ordering the Revel M126Be (Matt mentioned them as a top contender for wide dispersion in a video a couple years ago) or Revel Performa3 F206 (I'm thinking of the M126Be cause I'm curious what great bookshelf speakers sound to me).

Also, the Focal Aria K2 936 are on sale at Crutchfield ($2K each) and the Audioholics review mentions wide dispersion.

Id want to pair them with their respective centers, so for the Focal I'd get the Focal Aria CC 900 and the Revel I'd get the Revel Performa3 C205. (I know theres debate around centers needing to match but I think I'm in the wanting them to match camp)

So in all, I have the Arendal 1723 with 1723 S center, Revel M126Be with Revel Performa3 C205, and Focal Aria K2 936 towers with Focal Aria CC 900 to give a try.

Seem like a good line up to you all?

Also, I don't think my current receiver supports 120Hz / VRR for gaming so I think I will end up needing a new receiver. I'm thinking the Denon AVR-X3800H?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Alright, thanks shadyJ, so I'm looking at ordering the Revel M126Be (Matt mentioned them as a top contender for wide dispersion in a video a couple years ago) or Revel Performa3 F206 (I'm thinking of the M126Be cause I'm curious what great bookshelf speakers sound to me).

Also, the Focal Aria K2 936 are on sale at Crutchfield ($2K each) and the Audioholics review mentions wide dispersion.

Id want to pair them with their respective centers, so for the Focal I'd get the Focal Aria CC 900 and the Revel I'd get the Revel Performa3 C205. (I know theres debate around centers needing to match but I think I'm in the wanting them to match camp)

So in all, I have the Arendal 1723 with 1723 S center, Revel M126Be with Revel Performa3 C205, and Focal Aria K2 936 towers with Focal Aria CC 900 to give a try.

Seem like a good line up to you all?

Also, I don't think my current receiver supports 120Hz / VRR for gaming so I think I will end up needing a new receiver. I'm thinking the Denon AVR-X3800H?
The Revel M126Be is a great speaker, review here. I assume that the Performa3 F206 is also very good, Revel is a reliably good brand. Focal has a very good speaker in the K2 936, but those are meant for a large room. I think you should make some effort in getting the Arendals to work better, because I think they are capable of the sound you want. I think the problem is a matter of setup rather than gear type. A second subwoofer with a higher crossover frequency would also do wonders for the type of sound you are trying to achieve.

D

DaddyPapaPappy

Enthusiast
Oh right, I forgot to mention. I did adjust the speaker placement of the 1961s. You were right, it sounds more like what I'm looking for when moving them to not point at me but more straight forward. Still not totally what I'm looking for though? I'll keep playing with them for sure.

For the Focals, I'll be sitting roughly 10 feet away from them and the review mentioned needing to be at least three meters away which is roughly the same. Would you say thats still too close to get the most out of them?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh right, I forgot to mention. I did adjust the speaker placement of the 1961s. You were right, it sounds more like what I'm looking for when moving them to not point at me but more straight forward. Still not totally what I'm looking for though? I'll keep playing with them for sure.

For the Focals, I'll be sitting roughly 10 feet away from them and the review mentioned needing to be at least three meters away which is roughly the same. Would you say thats still too close to get the most out of them?
10 feet should be sufficient, but I wouldn't listen much closer than that.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Hiya All,

My Space:

Sound I'm Looking For:

Where I'm At Today:

Next Steps:

Order a pair of Magnapan LRS and upgrade the sub.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Some speaker ideas that come to mind. JBL 698s, @Danzilla31 just got a pair and likes them a lot. Maybe Philharmonic BMR Towers or HT Towers. I'd follow ShadyJs setup suggestions for your Arendals first, tho. Maybe just some eq to get what you want.
You will definetly get immersed with the 698's. These speakers have been everything I'd hoped for so far. They are not wide dispersion though. So the sound is enveloping but not in the way wide dispersion does it. Imaging and instrument placement clarity and a you are there live feel is what these JBL's Excell at. They also excel at voices and phantom center imaging like no other speakers I've tried out except for my RBH speakers Also massive output MASSIVE with no distortion.

If the OP is wanting a you are there feel in that way these would be a good buy. And way under his 4k budget so he has money left over for a reciever and or a sub upgrade as well.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis