Noob.. What wire gauge(s) ?

R

Rallly

Audiophyte
Hello, I own a pair of RF800 front speakers, one RC-62 center, 2 SW-110 subs, and 2 R-15m rear bookshelf speakers .

Can you let me know what gauge wires I should use to go to my Denon avr-s930h?

Also, probably dumb question but do I only use one gauge for all?

Jay

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Welcome to AH.

14 ga to the speakers and an
RCA type interconnect to the subs.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I personally use 10 gauge wire, and if I were you with that distance so would I. There are many different brands and prices, so choose wisely, but no need to over pay either.
I really like and use knukoncepts wire. Quality wire and easy to use.
www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/

R

Rallly

Audiophyte
Banana plugs or just bare wire to the backs of speakers?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That's all preference. I like banana plugs for ease of use when connecting speakers to an amp. Others prefer bare wire because they don't have to worry about the connections in the banana plug coming loose over time.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Banana plugs make life so much easier. Get the double set-screw type if you can. Those have a good grip on the wire. Bare wires are a pain with fraying and loose strands.

You don't have to spend a ton on speaker wire. Get 12 or 14 gauge from a reputable brand (but not a ripoff brand like audioquest) and you'll be fine.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
As a speaker wire brand, I recommend the Monoprice brand. It is very affordable and as a matter of fact, this is what I use to connect all my speakers:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I buy big reels of 12g myself as it's cost effective and meets any possible need in any of my systems....use Monoprice to source. I also like the double set screw type banana plugs....and they definitely help in say the tight real estate on the back of a typically busy avr....but if you're not moving your speakers much not so useful at that end....but it's about convenience overall.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I personally use 10 gauge wire, and if I were you with that distance so would I. There are many different brands and prices, so choose wisely, but no need to over pay either.
I really like and use knukoncepts wire. Quality wire and easy to use.
www.knukonceptz.com/mobile-audio/speaker-wire/kord-speaker-wire/sp/kord-ultra-flex-10-gauge-speaker-wire/
Not sure why that length would require 10 gauge. Aside from overkill, it's a PIA to work with. :)

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just agreeing with others on everything. 14 gauge is fine. 12 gauge if you want to get a little bit silly. I always get silly and pull 14-gauge 4-conductor. (14/4)

But, I swear by double set screw banana plugs. Anyone who worries about them coming loose over time, owns the wrong banana plugs.

The Sewell Silverbacks are the go to for many people. I use a very similar model that I have way too many of.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Just agreeing with others on everything. 14 gauge is fine. 12 gauge if you want to get a little bit silly. I always get silly and pull 14-gauge 4-conductor. (14/4)

But, I swear by double set screw banana plugs. Anyone who worries about them coming loose over time, owns the wrong banana plugs.

The Sewell Silverbacks are the go to for many people. I use a very similar model that I have way too many of.

Yep. I have a 10 foot run of Silverbacks on one of my speaker pairs.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I buy big reels of 12g myself as it's cost effective and meets any possible need in any of my systems....use Monoprice to source. I also like the double set screw type banana plugs....and they definitely help in say the tight real estate on the back of a typically busy avr....but if you're not moving your speakers much not so useful at that end....but it's about convenience overall.
agreed, Monoprice and bananas (locking) make for a sound, secure and affordable combination.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
agreed, Monoprice and bananas (locking) make for a sound, secure and affordable combination.
Never needed the locking bananas myself. Use the Sewell Silverbacks mentioned earlier (and that same basic banana is marketed under several brands).

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Never needed the locking bananas myself. Use the Sewell Silverbacks mentioned earlier (and that same basic banana is marketed under several brands).
yeah if left be I suspect all would be good, but if one is changing, moving, etc the clamping effect is nice.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis