Noob satellite speakers height question

O

Olle

Audiophyte
Hi

I have a Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system - very old and cheap I know. I'm wondering about at what height the front speakers should be placed at for my specific setup. By Logitech design, the speakers are tilted 18 degrees upwards when standing on a flat surface. Now I'm sitting about 340 cm from the speakers when I'm in my sofa. If my math is correct, a 18 degree tilt at 140 cm distance would mean the speakers whould be placed on the floor for the sound to be aligned with my heads height which is 107 cm when I'm sitting in the sofa. But I don't know, it seems weird to me to place the front speakers on the floor. I thought I would place them on the height of a tv-bench, which is about 40-ish cm. Anyone got a recommendation for me to achieve optimal sound with these speakers?

regards, Olle

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Mount them on a stand and put them at ear level. Otherwise flip them sideways and have them sitting flat, still looking to get them about ear level. The angle is because they are intended for nearfield listening.

Stand like this might work, or something similar that fits them.

O

Olle

Audiophyte
Thank you for your reply. So that is why they are tilted. I'm trying to avoid mounting them on stands but maybe that is the best option in the end.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thank you for your reply. So that is why they are tilted. I'm trying to avoid mounting them on stands but maybe that is the best option in the end.
Yes, they need to be on stands.

T

tculverjames

Audiophyte
Hi

I have a Logitech Z906 5.1 surround system - very old and cheap I know. I'm wondering about at what height the front speakers should be placed at for my specific setup. By Logitech design, the speakers are tilted 18 degrees upwards when standing on a flat surface. Now I'm sitting about 340 cm from the speakers when I'm in my sofa. If my math is correct, a 18 degree tilt at 140 cm distance would mean the speakers whould be placed on the floor for the sound to be aligned with my heads height which is 107 cm when I'm sitting in the sofa. But I don't know, it seems weird to me to place the front speakers on the floor. I thought I would place them on the height of a tv-bench, which is about 40-ish cm. Anyone got a recommendation for me to achieve optimal sound with these speakers and welding atlanta?

regards, Olle
I need to replace my floor standing fronts with wall-mountable fronts. I'd like to repurpose my existing floor standing speakers to use as rear surrounds. Will I be sacrificing anything really noticable? This will actually place them behind about 15' behind the couch I use for the theater.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I need to replace my floor standing fronts with wall-mountable fronts. I'd like to repurpose my existing floor standing speakers to use as rear surrounds. Will I be sacrificing anything really noticable? This will actually place them behind about 15' behind the couch I use for the theater.
You will probably sacrifice a lot. So your best speakers will be behind you. You always want your best speakers in front.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Olle maybe even a wall mount or shelf of some sort rather than a stand but they're not particularly meant to be on the floor. Aiming the tweeters at your ears whichever way you go....

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Don’t drop towers unless absolutely necessary you’d need jblscl or something really good to compete with towers : I build both my systems around towers .
Distance to main listening position, and the decibels on average you listen to are needed to confirm or answer your questions.
@Olle maybe even a wall mount or shelf of some sort rather than a stand but they're not particularly meant to be on the floor. Aiming the tweeters at your ears whichever way you go....
I prefer tweeter ear level or close enough. I could probably raise my Andrew Jones pioneer towers to be closer to ear level but they sound acceptable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis