Noob questions: open and closed back cans

T

tonyspizza

Enthusiast
I've been searching for the main differences between open and closed back headphones and here is what I found. Anyone want to add anything? I'm debating on what to purchase. Most of my listening will be at home. Ideally I can take them with me when I start traveling again, but that isn't the top priority atm and maybe I have to get one of each kind?

Open:
-More natural and clear
-Not prone to echo
-other people can hear your music
-more easily damaged

Closed:
-Sound doesn't bleed out of them
-Block out more 'outside' noise
-more durable?
-poorer sound quality?

Thanks for input!

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Open:

-other people can hear your music. - Yes
-more easily damaged. - Don't know if this is true. Never heard this before. I mean anything to be damaged if you mistreat it

Closed

-more durable? - Again don't know if this is true.
-poorer sound quality? - there are some that sound Outstanding

Thanks for input!

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wouldn't say that one design is more durable than another. What is true is that open back headphones will leak your playback out and you will hear the sounds around you. Closed back wont leak the playback so much and will also block out most of the sounds around you. Generally open back are more neutral and balanced with more accurate sound stage how ever there are exceptions for this rule. Closed back headphones tend to be boosted on bass frequencies if they have not been carefully designed to avoid this. As for sound quality you can't say that one design is better than other but instead it is about your preference assuming that the headphones in comparison have been equally well designed.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Well in my experience my open back Grados do sound more "open" :) than my AKGs which are semi closed back.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis