Audioholic Intern
Here we go again.

I am considering one of these receivers:
any protips/advice?

Denon avr2112ci
Onkyo nr709
Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Yamaha RX-V573

My room will be 19 x19, mix will be 50/50 Movies. I will be listening to mainly hip hop, electronica, and classic rock

Still Havent picked out Speakers.....

indulger

indulger

Audioholic
Your speakers should be your top priority and then focus the rest of your set up around them. You could buy any one of those receivers, but if your speakers sound like crap, no receiver is going to help you. Once your speakers are purchased, then come back and ask which receiver I should by to drive them. :)

D

Drumbo

Audioholic Intern
I am leaning towards something like this for speakers

Front, emp tek e5ti
Center, emp tek e5ci
Woof, Rythmik FV12
Rears, Havent chosen

PROTIPS?

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
Denon avr2112ci
Onkyo nr709
Pioneer VSX-1122-K
Yamaha RX-V573
From this list go with the Onkyo only if you intend to use an open rack. Then too, additional fans will be needed to prevernt heat related failures.

For the most part they are all equal in terms of driving the speakers. Pick one with all the features you need or price you like :).

runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
Based on listening tests on B+W 683 towers...

I felt Yahama had a colored sound, and ranked lowest to my ears.

Next up was the Onkyo, sounded better to me then the Yahama, had a lot of features for the $$$. I ended up with an Onkyo TRX NR 609. Loved it till it stopped working after 3 weeks.

Next the Pioneer and Denon. To my ears I couldn't tell much difference, and preferred the sound of both over the Onkyo.

I ended up replacing the Onkyo 609 with a Denon 2311 CI.

runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
I Will add that the Onkyo 709 is much better reviewed, and does not apear to have the quality issues that the 609 has.

Also, based on above tests, I felt that Marantz had the best sound out of what I tested, but chose the Denon because of the GUI.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Well the Marantz 6006 has an almost identical color GUI that the denon's have, and the onkyo 709 is a great receiver, but I'd never get a model lower than 8xx level from onkyo and even then, I'd probably just wait until I could step up to the 100x, 300x, or 500x.

I can say the Marantz 5006 is an awesome receiver and that on screen GUI doesn't have to be a drawback if you are connecting the receiver to a router. If you're marantz receiver is network connected you can control nearly everything, and I mean nearly everything from the web GUI, which is easy to use and fairly intuitive.

That has to be the biggest gripe with my onkyo, that the web GUI is beyond useless. However I would say sound wise, the marantz and the onkyo I have sound similar, with the edge going to the onk, but that isn't necessarily because onkyo is better. The onkyo I have is a 3009 and the marantz is a 5006. So they are in different leagues.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
In the last few months I have bought both a Denon and Yamaha. I like them both, but I love the Denon, plus its built like a tank. One feature I don't care about the Yami is you have to have the menus up on the TV to set some functions, where as the Denon, you don't.

D

Drumbo

Audioholic Intern
I am not sure if the network features are the most important thing, as I will also have a PC running through to the TV and through the Receiver.

One feature that would be key is Streaming from my Android Phone, I wont switch to Apple just for AirPlay.

I could probably just stream to the pc would would be connected to the receiver and play sound, no?

At any rate, it seems that people arent too hip on the Pioneer or the Yamahas then?

Seems the its a mixed bag between the Onkyo and the Denon then?

I would love to up to the Larger Emp tek, I wish they would restock some b stocks though....

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
marantz and onkyo are DLNA certified which means you can stream from a PC. Pioneer are good receivers, but the UI is crap. Yamaha are rock solid, I just have no personal experience with them so I can't recommend them. Onkyo are terrific, best bang for your buck, but only if you get one that works. the 709/809 should be solid, all the kinks work out as long as you get a later production model. Marantz are excellent AVRs, but trade off some name brand features for their own stuff, and don't include certain features that other AVRs have, but what you get is much higher build quality, generally better amp section compared to others in its price range and excellent sound quality. Denon is less of a mixed bag than onkyo for sure and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I've always felt like whenever I see anything going wrong with onkyo stuff it's on their low and midline receivers. If I'm going to spend money in that price range I'd rather go with more solid build quality and less question marks even if I have to trade some features and go with a Marantz.

Not everyone will feel this way, but for me more solid build quality almost always wins out.

That being said, so far I'm extremely happy with my Onkyo TX-NR 3009. fingers crossed.

CDogg

CDogg

Junior Audioholic
We have been running the Onkyo TX-NR509 for a month now and it is performing great, not heat issues at all. All of our system came from Crutchfield, and I defintiely would recommend them to anyone who is looking to purchase audio/video equipment. Tech support is top notch, and they will stay on the phone no matter how long it takes. The only problem I had was updating the firmware. After replacing what I thought were good cables, I changed it out and the firmware automatically started updating. The last tech was on he phone with me for about 3 hours. Plus you get lifetime tech support on your equipment.

Call it luck, call it a crapshoot, call it whatever you want. Bottom line is there will always be good and bad with any product. Be it automobile, home appliance, or even audio/video equipment. I would definitely recommend Onkyo to anyone.

I hope this helps.

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
I would definitely recommend Onkyo to anyone.

I hope this helps.
The issues that seemed to be plaguing Onkyo around the beginning of the year seem to have subsided. Be it the release of new models, or better Q&A, I hope it stays on course. I always had looked at them as one of my choices when wanting to drop some scratch on a new receiver, but in my last purchase it was only between Denon, Yamaha and Marantz, Onk wasn't even an honorable mention.

runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
We have been running the Onkyo TX-NR509 for a month now and it is performing great, not heat issues at all. All of our system came from Crutchfield, and I defintiely would recommend them to anyone who is looking to purchase audio/video equipment. Tech support is top notch, and they will stay on the phone no matter how long it takes. The only problem I had was updating the firmware. After replacing what I thought were good cables, I changed it out and the firmware automatically started updating. The last tech was on he phone with me for about 3 hours. Plus you get lifetime tech support on your equipment.

Call it luck, call it a crapshoot, call it whatever you want. Bottom line is there will always be good and bad with any product. Be it automobile, home appliance, or even audio/video equipment. I would definitely recommend Onkyo to anyone.

I hope this helps.

I have mixed feelings about Crutchfield. Customer service is great, they took back my Onkyo no problem, and refunded my money fast. BUT, its hit or miss on the advisers, and unless you find the odd deal here or there, expect to pay full retail price.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I have mixed feelings about Crutchfield. Customer service is great, they took back my Onkyo no problem, and refunded my money fast. BUT, its hit or miss on the advisers, and unless you find the odd deal here or there, expect to pay full retail price.
Exactly my thoughts about crutchfield. Awesome customer service for the most part, but their prices aren't worth lifetime support to me. Not when I can come on here and get all the free advice I'll ever need :D

96cobra10101

96cobra10101

Senior Audioholic
Crutchfield does have some good sales on occasion, though.

runswithscisors

runswithscisors

Audioholic
Yes they do, on occasion. I often check their site when I'm looking for something, or want to catch up on the latest gear, but more often than not, better deals can be had. Like I said, mixed feelings, not negative feelings.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
They do have sales, but other than the outlet stores, I'm not sure they actually end up being cheaper than many other online places. Now that's only taking into account cost. Crutchfield has a stellar reputation and if you have any second thoughts or issues you have a nice safety net with them.

For someone like me, who's more curious than cautious, I'll go for the deal and see what happens or buy an after market warranty that still may not bridge the price gap.

That doesn't mean I don't frequent crutchfield. They provide a lot of good detailed information and are very helpful. I've emailed them many times with questions about products and they are always happy to oblige with an answer or explanation.

Yes they do, on occasion. I often check their site when I'm looking for something, or want to catch up on the latest gear, but more often than not, better deals can be had. Like I said, mixed feelings, not negative feelings.
True that :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis