Drumbo

Audioholic Intern
so, i purchased my 5.0 speakers.

KEF iq90 , iq60c, iq10

I havent yet picked out the sub.

Room size is about 19x19x9 opened into the kitchen which is about the same size

My listening will be 50/50 music to movies

My question is:
What setup will allow me to get the most out of my speakers, even at high volumes?

Marantz sr6006 ($679 at a4l)
or
Emotiva UMC-1(499) and xpa 5(899)

secondly, how would I hook up the sub? the xpa5 is only a 5 channel amp??

As an alternative, I was considering the Marantz mm 7055 & av 7005 setup which has all the necessary connections for a 5.1

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
The Marantz would be fine for you I'm guessing. You need to do your research, though, and figure out if you have needs that the Marantz can't handle (doubtful).

Unless you are buying a passive subwoofer, the receiver/amp does not power the subwoofer. Almost everyone buys a powered subwoofer. Connect a powered subwoofer to the subwoofer preout of the preamp/receiver.

You are not going to get a huge performance increase from an external amp without spending a LOT of extra money (unless you can find something used as a great price).

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Go with the Marantz and call it a day. It's a better receiver IMO and if you really find that you're running out of gas, which I highly doubt, it has a full range of pre-outs for you to add amplification if you really want to.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 to Marantz
Your KEF Mains rated at Sensitivity: 91dB and 8 Ohm nominal impedance - this means they are easy load for amplifier.
Depends on how loud you listen - you might never need external amp, but with Marantz you get more modern pre-pro features anyways.
You won't need xpa-5 anyways - 6004+xpa-3 is more than enough

S

Scumfrog

Junior Audioholic
Another vote for the Marantz. Look for a used or demo. Ditto on a sub. Save some money and enjoy.
Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis