Non-ideal atmos placement for 5.1.2, worth it?

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Hi guys, so after reading the extremely humorous ongoing thread about the value of atmos, I figured I should get some opinions on this..

I have a lowered portion of ceiling in my living room where I could fit two speakers for atmos.

The issue is that it is technically too far forward from the seating position ( around 40 deg instead of the recommended max of 30..

IMG_20210928_194706~2.jpg

So this is technically outside of dolby guidelines, however I do have a long soundstage, that lowered ceiling is nearer to the mlp than the front speakers.

Part of me is concerned that it's not worth the effort, another part of me thinks as long as I angle the speakers toward the mlp, it's going to be as good as if not better than the bouncy House atmos speakers.

I have speaker wires in place already, so I only need to pick up some speakers and connect it up. Thoughts?

James S.

James S.

Junior Audioholic
I believe it would sound good. The guidelines are just that. The speakers can be a little out of range. If you angle them, like you said, or get angled ceiling speakers, you will be fine. Atmos, IMO, is definitely worth it.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
I believe it would sound good. The guidelines are just that. The speakers can be a little out of range. If you angle them, like you said, or get angled ceiling speakers, you will be fine. Atmos, IMO, is definitely worth it.
Thanks for the feedback, this was my hope, at least for the cost of a pair of in ceiling speakers it can't hurt to try I guess.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imo, some Atmos is better than no Atmos. Also keep in mind. Front height is a supported location. This places on the front wall, so while not ideal, your proposed location should work well enough.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Imo, some Atmos is better than no Atmos. Also keep in mind. Front height is a supported location. This places on the front wall, so while not ideal, your proposed location should work well enough.
Thats a good point, but from my understanding front height aren't supported in a 5.x.2 configuration. It should be top middle no?

I will check on my amp and see if I have the option to choose maybe.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thats a good point, but from my understanding front height aren't supported in a 5.x.2 configuration. It should be top middle no?

I will check on my amp and see if I have the option to choose maybe.
Iirc you can. With only two top/height speakers they get the same signal(all height content). The only difference would be level, and distance.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
Iirc you can. With only two top/height speakers they get the same signal(all height content). The only difference would be level, and distance.
It would be good to have the option, that way I can experiment and see which sounds best!

Thanks for the help

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
5.2.4 gives you overhead sounds that pan across and front to back.

But the bummer is 9 channel receivers cost quite a bit more than 7 channel ones.

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
5.2.4 gives you overhead sounds that pan across and front to back.

But the bummer is 9 channel receivers cost quite a bit more than 7 channel ones.
Yeah I would love four overheads, unfortunately my room will only accommodate two in ceilings, and I don't want to do on-ceiling..

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Couch is next to the wall. That is always bad for sound. Front heights add a LOT to the overall stage. Given your seating position, I'd opt for them instead. Atmos is to seem "above", not behind, and since you have no behind, fronts will give you a bigger presentation IMO.

I find it very interesting what it did for me. There are some scenes where there are more directed sounds, adding to movement around the room, however there are FAR more situations were ambient sound and some of the backgound music is routed to those speakers: "ATMOShere" :D The result was unexpected for me that it gives an even bigger "wall of sound" illusion to my ears.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Couch is next to the wall. That is always bad for sound. Front heights add a LOT to the overall stage. Given your seating position, I'd opt for them instead. Atmos is to seem "above", not behind, and since you have no behind, fronts will give you a bigger presentation IMO.

I find it very interesting what it did for me. There are some scenes where there are more directed sounds, adding to movement around the room, however there are FAR more situations were ambient sound and some of the backgound music is routed to those speakers: "ATMOShere" :D The result was unexpected for me that it gives an even bigger "wall of sound" illusion to my ears.
I've been meaning to add front heights to my setup as I still have two unused channels. I also have the couch against the wall as the room is only 12' across, which makes proper surrounds a real challenge. Likely best in my situation to concentrate more on the front sound stage. Saw some SVS Prime Elevation speakers on the used market but they were overpriced, so I'm biding my time, or might go DIY.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis