Noise from sub when turning on ceiling fan??

J

Josho

Enthusiast
I don't really think it's an issue with my sub but I thought I'd get the best answers here. So every time I flip the wall switch for the ceiling fan I get a sound out of my sub. Sub is a 10" ML Dynamo.

Is this a ground problem with my house?

It's a brand new house and was pre-wired for the fan but I installed it. Any input is greatly appreciated as this may be something I can have looked at under warranty.

Thanks in advance.

mkossler

mkossler

Audioholic
Sounds like a ground loop to me. I'd try the usual remedies.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Try plugging the sub into a different outlet that is not on the same circuit as the ceiling fan.

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
In addition to the other suggestions here, the switch could be sending a signal through the air too, especially if it's a variable speed fan. Grounds or separate circuits won't help with that. Cell phones can do the same thing. If that is the case, it won't do any harm...don't turn off the lights while the system is running

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't really think it's an issue with my sub but I thought I'd get the best answers here. So every time I flip the wall switch for the ceiling fan I get a sound out of my sub. Sub is a 10" ML Dynamo.

Is this a ground problem with my house?

It's a brand new house and was pre-wired for the fan but I installed it. Any input is greatly appreciated as this may be something I can have looked at under warranty.

Thanks in advance.
A couple of other suggestions. May have to recheck your fan installation. As was suggested, some subs are more sensitive to signals in the air, like a cell phone. Easy to check ground loop issue too. Also, don't forget to check the cable TV line. Why not unplug it totally, then see if that fan still causes the issues.

And, don't leave the sub on when not in use.

J

Josho

Enthusiast
A couple of other suggestions. May have to recheck your fan installation. As was suggested, some subs are more sensitive to signals in the air, like a cell phone. Easy to check ground loop issue too. Also, don't forget to check the cable TV line. Why not unplug it totally, then see if that fan still causes the issues.

And, don't leave the sub on when not in use.
I have the sub set on "auto" so should I unplug it when it's not in use?

Thank you all for the suggestions, I'll double check the fan installation and check any grounding issues as well as changing outlets. I haven't had a problem yet with any of the weird cell phone noises and interference.

selkec

selkec

Audioholic
I have the exact same problem with my sub. Anytime I turn on my fan or turn the knob to adjust the speed it makes a bump sound. My ceiling fan was put in with my new house so I know I did not cause it. I just dont worry about it. Let it make the bump sound. Its been doing it a year now and has not hurt anything. I really donbt know what to try. Maybe a surge protector?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use zone 2 for 2 channel stereo play back in the same room with a separate set of speakers for 5.1. It's a temporary experimental hook up until I get an in wall entertainment center built and installed. The way it's set up now I can activate zone 2 to play the same source that is being played on 5.1 and when I do that turning the TV on causes a noise to come from the zone 2 speakers. The whole thing is hooked up to an HTS 3500 MKII. I was wondering why just zone 2 would be affected. Is it an internal thing in the AVR? Zone 2 speakers have this crazy speaker wire going to them. Two 12ga twisted pair in a single jacket that you could use to power up a table saw. I know, I know......But I didn't know back then. I thought that maybe the wall outlet might have something to do with it.

Seeing as how we're all experiencing a similar problem I am interested in what your remedy turns out to be. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis