No video output, RX-A3080

Sef_Makaro

Sef_Makaro

Audioholic
I think I know the answer to this but I’m hoping someone has seen this issue and has a fix.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 with a Samsung plasma from 2013 connected to it.
I turned on my system tonight and got the “no signal” message on my TV. I did some troubleshooting and found the following:

-No video output on hdmi out 1 on multiple tvs and multiple hdmi cables. Including OSD menus, not just from sources.
-I do have intermittent video out of hdmi out 2 if I manipulate the cable.

This equipment has only been moved once in the last several years. I moved it out of an old av rack to a new Salamander.

Has anyone had a similar issue and resolved it?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I think I know the answer to this but I’m hoping someone has seen this issue and has a fix.

I have a Yamaha RX-A3080 with a Samsung plasma from 2013 connected to it.
I turned on my system tonight and got the “no signal” message on my TV. I did some troubleshooting and found the following:

-No video output on hdmi out 1 on multiple tvs and multiple hdmi cables. Including OSD menus, not just from sources.
-I do have intermittent video out of hdmi out 2 if I manipulate the cable.

This equipment has only been moved once in the last several years. I moved it out of an old av rack to a new Salamander.

Has anyone had a similar issue and resolved it?
Unfortunately your observation that wiggling the HDMI 2 out gives intermittent video tells the story. Your HDMI 2 board has been fractured and needs to be replaced, which will be expensive.

HDMI plugs and sockets are a very bad design. There are multiple very small contacts, and the plugs and sockets are very fragile. There was no provision for strain relief in the design, which was a massive and appalling oversight. In modern electronics all sockets are attached directly to the circuit board. With the HDMI having so many connectors, it makes their attachment especially frail.

So the above means that any torque on the cables, like moving the unit back on a shelf, can easily spell disaster for for the HDMI board. This are complex boards and expensive.

You have no option other than sending the unit in for service. Since this unit is 2018 vintage, repair is certainly the best option. This is not something you can fix yourself.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis