no surprise here,another beginning of an end

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
Best Buy To Close 50 U.S. Stores, Stock Drops

Best Buy To Close 50 U.S. Stores, Stock Drops - Project Economy News Story - KCRA Sacramento
it's being blamed partly on what I do a lot of,see it in a store then come home and order it online at a better price.
I will say Fry's started a smart online price matching policy a few months ago.

"Still driving to your local Best Buy to fondle all the latest gadgets before swiping your card, or hopping to the web to pull the trigger? That tradition could be short-lived,"

Best Buy to close 50 big box US retail stores, open 100 Mobile stand-alone outlets in 2013 -- Engadget

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
Their prices are not competitive on a regular basis for our generation of online savvy consumers.

If I could get tv's and video games for the same price at Future Shop or Best Buy I would, for the simple reason returns are easier. Unfortunately for these brick and mortar stores, they simply can't compete.

Dear Best Buy;

Scour the internet for your products at a cheaper price and make that your regular price......thrive as a business.

Making 10% less profit is better than closing your doors for good.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, but they are also opening 100 small, mobile device stores instead. No TVs, HT or media. Apparently they are going to try to stay afloat by changing some or all of their business.

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Every time I've gone in to Best Buy, I've known more than any of the employees there. Obviously I'm not their normal customer, but some of the things they say are just ridiculous.

An older woman was looking at blu-ray players and wanted help. With no employees anywhere in sight, I volunteered my time to help her. As it turns out, she had no high definition tv or external speakers. She just wanted it because her daughter had one. :rolleyes:

After she left, I was still looking at blu-ray players and I asked an employee what players they had with 7.1 analog outs. He flat out told me they didn't exist, so I showed him one on my phone...

The way I see it, if you don't have the best prices, you better have some well-educated employees. Best Buy has nothing going for it but selection, and even that is just limited to TVs.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They used to have training programs that were required of their salespeople in order to sell certain gear. In recent years, they got rid of everyone who knew anything and started hiring whoever would take pay that low, and we all know that means people without knowledge about the products they are selling. Unfortunately for them, having salespeople who know the same OR LESS than their customers is generally a good way to lose business. It was rare that I ever asked anyone in there questions on gear because it was practically a waste of time. Other than one of the PS3s (Black Friday), I've never really made any major purchases there because I was able to find a better deal somewhere else.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
He might not be too far from right here.

After she left, I was still looking at blu-ray players and I asked an employee what players they had with 7.1 analog outs. He flat out told me they didn't exist, so I showed him one on my phone...
When did you buy yours? These are now about as rare as he's teeth. About the only one I can think of currently being sold is an Oppo unit.

dkane360

dkane360

When did you buy yours? These are now about as rare as he's teeth. About the only one I can think of currently being sold is an Oppo unit.
Few years ago. They were on upper end players from pretty much everyone. Panasonic, Denon, Pioneer are the ones that come to mind. I ended up with a Pioneer BDP-320 that I bought online. I have 2 HDMI receivers now though :p

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The operative word here is bolded

Few years ago. They were on upper end players from pretty much everyone. Panasonic, Denon, Pioneer are the ones that come to mind. I ended up with a Pioneer BDP-320 that I bought online. I have 2 HDMI receivers now though :p
Things change.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I just bought a Samsung plasma from Best Buy because they were within about $50 of Amazon's price, plus it came with glasses a 3D BD player and 3 years interest free financing. I had been shopping around for a while and was considering going with Amazon until I saw that BB's price was comparable.

dkane360

dkane360

Things change.
I'm not really sure what you're getting at...

This whole thing took place a few years ago, when there were blu-ray players with analog outs. Every experience I have had with Best Buy employees has been the same way.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Ah

I'm not really sure what you're getting at...

This whole thing took place a few years ago, when there were blu-ray players with analog outs. Every experience I have had with Best Buy employees has been the same way.
You made no reference to any time frame and it read as if this were a recent experience.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis