No subwoofer output- RCA to wire

A

a1dan_87

Audiophyte
So I just installed a Denon AVR-S700W, and everything is working perfectly. Im using my old sony tower speakers from my last system, mostly the upgrade here being the receiver and a new center speaker.

Everything works so far except I cant get any sound from the subwoofer, or any speaker in its place. The back panel has it labeled 'pre-out' with the only thing there being 'subwoofer' underneath that. Its a passive sub with its only input being the + & - bare speaker wire, while the receiver has an RCA connection. I tried to DIY an rca to bare wire, but that hasn't worked.

Passive sub, bare wire spring clamp
AVR-S700W, ACR pre-out subwoofer connection.

Im trying to figure out if its the cable or a problem with the AMP itself here, Ive adjusted levels in the receivers menus, but cant get any sound to come out of the channel- at all. Could this just be a problem with the 'DIY RCA to bare speaker wire' thing I was told to try? Or is this a fault of the amp?

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Its a line level output so very low signal. It needs an active sub or connect to an amplifier which drives the sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

a1dan_87

Audiophyte
Its a line level output so very low signal. It needs an active sub or connect to an amplifier which drives the sub.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Awesome. I figured as much, I wanted to make sure before I spent money on a sub. Any advice against getting one second hand, as I dont have near the range of $200 to spend on a sub. Any recommendations for under $150 ish? I might just have to secondhand a subwoofer.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Anything you can find from Hsu, Paradigm, SVS for that price will blow away the sub you were using.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis