No sound in Dolby Digital mode

T

texasohio

Audiophyte
I have owned a JVC RX-1028 VBK for about five years now, and I have never been able to get it to work properly when a Dolby Digital source is playing. I am very close to purchasing a new receiver, but need to know if I am missing something.

First, I can get surround sound in the pro-logic surround mode from all speakers. However, if I change to Dolby Digital mode all sound stops. I have played multiple DVD's to the same effect.

Second, the receiver indicates that it is receiving a Dolby Digital signal, but no output.

Third, I have read and re-read manuals, and I believe tried all available audio options on the receiver and DVD player to no avail.

Are there any suggestions out there or can I buy any replacement parts to remedy this problem.

If no fix, I will be going with an Onkyo TX-SR502 to replace. Thanks!

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
1. Does the receiver have optical or coaxial digital inputs and the dvd player has the same outputs? Are you using those connections?

2. Have you 'assigned' the digital inputs on the receiver to the input to which the dvd player is connected? Example: If the DVD player is connected via an optical digital cable to an input on the receiver labeled 'Opt 1' or similar did you go into the receiver setup and tell it that Opt1 goes with DVD? Note that some older receivers don't have assignments and instead the digital inputs are hardwired to a particular input selector; eg the optical input may go with the CD input selector and cannot be changed.

3. Is the DVD player setup menu set to output 'bitstream' instead of 'pcm' for DD or DTS?

Those are the basic steps. Use the correct cables, assign the inputs, and set the dvd player to output bitstream.

T

texasohio

Audiophyte
Anonymous and JVC - thanks for the replies.

1. Yes, DVD is connected to receiver via optical digital cable.

2. Yes, double checked and assignment is correct.

3. Yes, and this setting is when I lose sound. If it is set on PCM, I get sound (stereo or pro logic), but of course it is not 5.1.

My only guess is that there is something wrong with the receiver (DD processor?????). I hate to give up on the receiver - due to a few moves, getting married, kids, etc., I have never gotten to use this receiver for what I intended. I also hate to junk it because I do use it's dual room, dual source capability. I cannnot afford a new receiver with that feature. Any guidance would be great, and again, thanks for replying!!

JVC

JVC

Banned
Have you tried another dvd player, to make sure that's not the problem?

T

texasohio

Audiophyte
JVC:

Nope - had not thought about that possibility. I will try to find a willing soul to let me borrow their's for a half hour and see if any difference. Thanks. Having a third party is a great help to working through a problem!

texasohio

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis