No sound from projector to soundbar.

J

JOHN72

Audiophyte
Hello. I have an Acer C101i KWV 1701 projector. I connected it to an LG sound bar but cannot get any sound. The connection from the projector to the sound bar is HDMI. I have altered the sound bar setting to HDMI in. I have video from the blue ray player to the Acer projector onto a front room screen. There is sound from the Acer projector when I connect earphones although it is very quiet. However, there is no sound when I connect it to the sound bar. Is it a setting on the projector or what? Please see attached files of the projector and sound bar. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hello. I have an Acer C101i KWV 1701 projector. I connected it to an LG sound bar but cannot get any sound. The connection from the projector to the sound bar is HDMI. I have altered the sound bar setting to HDMI in. I have video from the blue ray player to the Acer projector onto a front room screen. There is sound from the Acer projector when I connect earphones although it is very quiet. However, there is no sound when I connect it to the sound bar. Is it a setting on the projector or what? Please see attached files of the projector and sound bar. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
What are you sending video and audio to the projector from? Is it straight from the BD player or from a receiver or AVP

I suspect that you are falling foul of HDMI copy protection.

I note that none of your HDMI ports are labelled ARC or eARC ports.

If you are sending the signal to the projector, which I assume you must be, then you need an HDMI audio return channel which as far as I can tell you don't have.

I suspect you are going to need an AV receiver. Then you connect the BD player to the receiver and the receiver to the projector, and get your sound from the receiver and speakers.

I am not clear from your photographs which unit is the projector inputs and which the sound bar. If the projector has an optical out and the sound bar an optical in, you can get sound that way.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
What is the blu-ray player model? What is the soundbar model?

I do not believe the ACER supports ARC. Even if it did so, the lossless multichannel tracks of blu-ray discs would exceed the bandwidth available over ARC. The player needs to be connected to the soundbar and the soundbar connected to the projector from its ARC port to the projector’s IN port.

Still, there may be audio issues depending on the model of the aoundbar.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

What is the blu-ray player model? What is the soundbar model?

I do not believe the ACER supports ARC. Even if it did so, the lossless multichannel tracks of blu-ray discs would exceed the bandwidth available over ARC. The player needs to be connected to the soundbar and the soundbar connected to the projector from its ARC port to the projector’s IN port.

Still, there may be audio issues depending on the model of the aoundbar.
That is not going to work, both sender and receiver have to be ARC or eARC enabled and there is no ARC or eARC port on that projector.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
The blu-ray player needs to be connected to the HDMI port marked IN on the soundbar. The projector’s IN port needs to be connected to the HDMI port on the soundbar marked OUT. No, ARC will not work here. I only mentioned ARC because the soundbar’s OUT port is labeled “OUT (TV ARC).” Info concerning the soundbar model will still be helpful here. You can teach me about building speakers all day long doc, but you got nothin’ on me concerning HDMI connections.;)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

The blu-ray player needs to be connected to the HDMI port marked IN on the soundbar. The projector’s IN port needs to be connected to the HDMI port on the soundbar marked OUT. No, ARC will not work here. I only mentioned ARC because the soundbar’s OUT port is labeled “OUT (TV ARC).” Info concerning the soundbar model will still be helpful here. You can teach me about building speakers all day long doc, but you got nothin’ on me concerning HDMI connections.;)
Well I am prepared to stand corrected, But it was my understanding, and actually still is, that ARC has to go to ARC.

I did research this and check before posting and the information I found was that it had to be ARC to ARC. Both ends had to be ARC ports. So that was the best information I had. If that is wrong I stand corrected.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I am prepared to stand corrected, But it was my understanding, and actually still is, that ARC has to go to ARC.

I did research this and check before posting and the information I found was that it had to be ARC to ARC. Both ends had to be ARC ports. So that was the best information I had. If that is wrong I stand corrected.
I've seen reports of gear not claiming ARC compatibility but still providing it. Been a while, tho. Gear specific in any case.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've seen reports of gear not claiming ARC compatibility but still providing it. Been a while, tho. Gear specific in any case.
I have no personal experience, except connecting eARC to eARC. With HDMI and all the HDCP codes who the H knows.

Trebdp83 is I think the most experienced in these issues, so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. However with with HDMI you just never know for certain. Part of the problem is that not all gear using HDMI is officially certified.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
You are correct, Doc, about ARC to ARC or eARC to eARC when wanting audio returned from the display device. That will not work here that I can see.

When using a disc player that can output lossless multichannel audio, eARC would be needed at both ends if connected to a display device that cannot re encode signals for output over the bandwidth limited ARC.

It doesn’t help to have almost no info concerning this particular soundbar. It may be limited to lossy DD 5.1. There may also be HDCP issues to boot.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no personal experience, except connecting eARC to eARC. With HDMI and all the HDCP codes who the H knows.

Trebdp83 is I think the most experienced in these issues, so I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. However with with HDMI you just never know for certain. Part of the problem is that not all gear using HDMI is officially certified.
Or just certified to one standard but possibly in some cases able to handle the next....that was the case I think I'm remembering where one unit's spec seemed that it wouldn't work but did....the biggest problem is just that, HDMI is not a firm standard unit to unit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Or just certified to one standard but possibly in some cases able to handle the next....that was the case I think I'm remembering where one unit's spec seemed that it wouldn't work but did....the biggest problem is just that, HDMI is not a firm standard unit to unit.
That is because certification is not compulsory, which it should be.

J

JOHN72

Audiophyte
What are you sending video and audio to the projector from? Is it straight from the BD player or from a receiver or AVP

If you are sending the signal to the projector, which I assume you must be, then you need an HDMI audio return channel which as far as I can tell you don't have.

I suspect you are going to need an AV receiver. Then you connect the BD player to the receiver and the receiver to the projector, and get your sound from the receiver and speakers.

I am not clear from your photographs which unit is the projector inputs and which the sound bar. If the projector has an optical out and the sound bar an optical in, you can get sound that way.
Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of using a sound bar to show films to friends outside during the summer. However, as a novice to this type of thing I don’t know if this may help solve the problem but I have recently acquired a Pioneer A-105 amplifier and a Kenwood SS3300 audio surround sound processor with 4 speakers. For showing inside the house instead of using a sound bar can you configure a Panasonic blueray player that I have currently connected by hdmi to the acer projector and was connected from the projector to the LG sound bar. If I could use the amp and processor with surround sound instead with the blue ray player and Acer projector how do I configure these devices? Many thanks for your help.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of using a sound bar to show films to friends outside during the summer. As a novice to this type of thing I don’t know if this may solve the problem but I have recently acquired a Pioneer A-105 amplifier and a Kenwood SS3300 audio surround sound processor with 4 speakers. For showing inside the house instead of using a sound bar could I configure a Panasonic blue ray player that I have currently connected by HDMI to the acer projector and was connected from the projector to the LG sound bar. If I could use the amp and processor with surround sound instead with the blue ray player and Acer projector how do I configure these devices? Please see attached Kenwood processor and Pioneer amp pic. Many thanks for your help.

Attachments

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Yikes. Ok, so for surround sound with four speakers, connect the Panasonic HDMI OUT port to the Acer HDMI IN port. Connect the Panasonic ANALOG audio ports to the Pioneer CD ports. Connect the Pioneer TAPE REC OUT to Kenwood LINE IN ports. Connect Pioneer TAPE PLAY ports to Kenwood LINE OUT ports.

The Front speakers need to be connected to the Pioneer speaker terminals. The Surround(Rear) speakers need to be connected to the Rear speaker terminals on the Kenwood. Set the Kenwood for “Phantom” Center Channel. Make sure TAPE MONITOR is ON in the Pioneer.

You could make it a bit easier on yourself and just run a Stereo setup using just the Pioneer. Make sure to also set audio output in the Panasonic to ANALOG or just Stereo if necessary for ANALOG output. Good luck with it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of using a sound bar to show films to friends outside during the summer. However, as a novice to this type of thing I don’t know if this may help solve the problem but I have recently acquired a Pioneer A-105 amplifier and a Kenwood SS3300 audio surround sound processor with 4 speakers. For showing inside the house instead of using a sound bar can you configure a Panasonic blueray player that I have currently connected by hdmi to the acer projector and was connected from the projector to the LG sound bar. If I could use the amp and processor with surround sound instead with the blue ray player and Acer projector how do I configure these devices? Many thanks for your help.

Thank you for the reply. I was thinking of using a sound bar to show films to friends outside during the summer. As a novice to this type of thing I don’t know if this may solve the problem but I have recently acquired a Pioneer A-105 amplifier and a Kenwood SS3300 audio surround sound processor with 4 speakers. For showing inside the house instead of using a sound bar could I configure a Panasonic blue ray player that I have currently connected by HDMI to the acer projector and was connected from the projector to the LG sound bar. If I could use the amp and processor with surround sound instead with the blue ray player and Acer projector how do I configure these devices? Please see attached Kenwood processor and Pioneer amp pic. Many thanks for your help.
I also advise you just use a stereo set up.

That Kenwood amp is an old Dolby Pro logic unit and that was a system not worth worrying with.

Your basic issue is that you are working with gear well past the analog sunset in 2013.

Basically that made a forcing of HDMI for reasons to prevent copyright infringements. This is known as Digital Rights Management, DRM for short. It is now draconian.

Now be warned this may not work. The reason is that picture and sound may be way out of synchronization. You won't have a means of correcting it. Since you have the gear you have nothing to lose by trying it, but success can be far from guaranteed.

If you really want success you need all equipment to be post 2013 at least and the more up to date the better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis