No sound from Netflix

G

gdgates

Enthusiast
I've been streaming Netflix through my Samsung 7000 series TV for a few months, as well as Pandora and Youtube and a few others. 2 days ago the Netflix stream went silent, and I can't figure out why. I'm running the audio out via optical cable to the receiver. All other streaming services sound just fine, as well as the sounds the TV itself makes. I can't find a volume control within Netflix itself, so I'm kind of at a loss. On second thought, I do get volume if I turn up the TV speakers, so it must not be a Netflix thing. Still can't figure out why everything else will pass through to the receiver except this particular app.

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I perused online, and others have experienced this issue in the past. Quick question - did Netflix do an update right before it didn't work for you anymore? Sometimes they mess something up, and others reported that an update (in the past) stopped their Samsung TV from sending out external audio.

Something that you might try is toggling your audio choice between stereo and 5.1 within Netflix to see if there's something about the stream that got messed up.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I don't get Netflix in 5.1 on Roku only stereo(Try that I'm sure it will work in stereo If not sumthang be wrong elsewhere). I use my Sony BD for Netflix 5.1. Roku blamed Netflix and Netflix blamed Roku.:rolleyes:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I don't get Netflix in 5.1 on Roku only stereo(Try that I'm sure it will work in stereo If not sumthang be wrong elsewhere). I use my Sony BD for Netflix 5.1. Roku blamed Netflix and Netflix blamed Roku.:rolleyes:
It might not. May be the studios have insisted that Netflix include the flag to disable the digital out. The codes now have that feature, and for some reason the studios want it activated. If the studios get their way, there will be no way to get audio out of a TV for a lot of program. This will force the receiver/pre/pro model from peripherals to TV. Why they are getting obsessed with this defeats me!

If this keeps up you will have to have lousy TV sound or full blown HT. In that case we will start to see the appearance of TV monitors, that have no speakers or ability to get a picture without a peripheral device. That is the way my screen is, but I think it was ahead of its time.

moves

moves

Audioholic Chief
did you do a re-install? Check the netflix chat out. They are helpful. I've had an issue once with them and they walked me through it.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
TLS from what I heard the new Roku 3 Netflix works in 5.1. I did reinstall it, it didn't make shhh of a difference.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis