No sound from Digital Cable

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
I just purchased an Onkyo tx-sr601 receiver (only $300 delivered from ecost.com).

Here's my problem.

I have my digital cable connected to the digital coax input on the receiver(Scientific Atlanta cable box - Adelphia cable). Associated to Video 1 input on receiver

I am only getting sound from channels 101 and above(where the standard cable service ends). It also works on channel 21 (HBO).

When I select one of these channels on the cable box the dolby digital icon appears on the receiver. If I am on any other channel the dolby digital icon goes away and there is no sound.

I've gone through the manual several times and I believe I have all the settings correct.

I only have two speakers connected (Front - left and right)
but I don't believe this would cause any problems.

Does anyone have any experience with this receiver and this problem?

Do I need to connect the stanard RCA audio out on the cable box to the receiver also?

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Adam D

B

Bobster

Junior Audioholic
You're right!

adamd said:
Do I need to connect the stanard RCA audio out on the cable box to the receiver also?
Adam,

You are exactly right. The digital output only works with a multichannel signal. The RCA output will work for everything else. I always thought that was sort of annoying...

Good luck and enjoy your receiver!

A

adamd

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the quick reply.

Everything is working fine now.

This is my first entry into the digital audio world so I will probably have more questions but I'm sure I won't have to wait long for the correct info.

This site is GREAT!!!

Thank you.

Adam D

U

Unregistered

Yes, you need to connect analog cables as not all of the channels broadcast digital audio. It actually has nothing to do with multi-channel. Most of the channels that are digital, use DD 2.0 and a few use 48kHZ PCM (of course some movies are in full DD 5.1). Note that even for the channels in the "digital" tier, a digital signal is not always available; in fact, many of the channels in the digital tier are exact duplicates of the under 100 channels which and strictly analog.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis