B

Bigge31566

Audiophyte
I have a Denon receiver and Klipsch quintet 4 and a Klipsch 8 inch subwoofer but from my surround speakers I don't really get the highs like a cymbal sound mostly mid range to lows what would be a good setting for crossover for surround speakers, I get plenty bass with the subwoofer

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I have a Denon receiver and Klipsch quintet 4 and a Klipsch 8 inch subwoofer but from my surround speakers I don't really get the highs like a cymbal sound mostly mid range to lows what would be a good setting for crossover for surround speakers, I get plenty bass with the subwoofer
Get better speakers.
I couldn't find any information with a quick search that tells me what their F3 is. Generally, you want to have the XO set around an octave above the speakers F3...
Those look fairly petite, so I would look at 110-120Hz as the XO. (An octave above means doubling the frequency, ie, 50 Hz to 100Hz.)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The crossover wouldn't affect the highs like those of a cymbal, that's way above crossover range. It's probably just a limitation of content to the surrounds in the recording or the limitations of the speakers themselves.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
If your AVR has an "all channel stereo" or equivalent mode, set it to that one and re-evaluate the highs from your surrounds.
The ACS mode sends a full L/R stereo signal to all speakers (except the sub of course) and is useful for just such a test.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Turn up the treble on the Denon. I doubt those don’t have decent highs. Unless the tweeter is broken. Those are horn speakers so highs should be good.

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Set the Denon to multi-channel Stereo mode and see how it sounds.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If your AVR has an "all channel stereo" or equivalent mode, set it to that one and re-evaluate the highs from your surrounds.
The ACS mode sends a full L/R stereo signal to all speakers (except the sub of course) and is useful for just such a test.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
This is a good test. Just remember to switch it back!!!

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Your AVR has a reference or THX mode or some similar name, forgot which. Anyway the name sounds fancy but rolls off the highs very aggressively, I think it’s intended for listening at loud reference levels where extreme highs would be uncomfortable. I’ll look it up on my Marantz when I get home, I’m guessing the menus are similar enough.

B

Bigge31566

Audiophyte
I changed it to music setting and it sounds better already which it says it is multi channel stereo, it was set at dolby surround before

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you listen at loud volumes, especially, you can do damage to your rig using Multi-Channel Stereo.

What is your receiver? Denon... ?
How far do you sit from your speakers?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I changed it to music setting and it sounds better already which it says it is multi channel stereo, it was set at dolby surround before
Multi-channel tells all your surrounds to play as if they were the left and right speakers. Surround mode reduces the amount of sound coming out of those speakers by more than 50% and tries to emulate a surround sound mix.

The fact that it sounds better means the receiver is working but maybe one of your Left or Right speakers has a blown tweeter or it's not strong enough to meet your need? Make sure your receiver is in Stereo mode when you are just testing the fronts.

B

Bigge31566

Audiophyte
The receiver is a Denon avr-s910w and I am sitting about 10 feet from the speakers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis